Germany exclusive Star Trek trilogy "Prometheus" coming in 2016

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Nov 22, 2015.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude, you owe it to yourself to learn profanity in any language. You know, for purely scholarly reasons, of course.

Idran likes this.
  2. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Update posted yesterday to KRAD's Livejournal:

"Star Trek: Prometheus. I'm in the midst of editing the English translation of this Trek trilogy that was published originally in German by Cross Cult and will be published in the States as well. Basically, I'm taking the raw translation and turning it into more solid English. I'm midway through Book 2 and should have it done in the next few days. Book 1 is done, and I'm waiting on them to send me Book 3."

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome! Glad this is definitely happening, and I look forward to getting it. Plus , even though it's just as an editor, KRAD returns to TrekLit!!!

Markonian likes this.
  4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome news!!

Anything more on wether it will be hardcopy as well, or just e-book?

Also, for those that read it, does this mesh with the Pocket Books TrekLit 24th century universe, or is it more standalone?

5. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Excellent!

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

awesome news indeed I'm so glad more people will get to read the Promethus books.

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

It was always stated it would be translated from Deutsch into English and would be available as an ebook at some stage after the initial release given the need to translate it.

8. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

They had to translate it in order for someone to approve it. I don't think that an English release was always guaranteed, but likely.

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Kind of reminds me of the tests that Simon & Schuster did in the mid-1990's with the classic Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books where they allowed copies of omnibus books that were printed by Armada/Collins for the British/Canada-excluded-Commonwealth market (as Grosset & Dunlap and Simon & Schuster held the US/Canadian rights to both series, and on the British-Commonwealth markets Armada/Collins had published several omnibus editions quite successfully) onto the US/Canadian market to see if there was interest in omnibus releases of the both series. Unfortunately it appears that the test was a bust, but it was the cheapest way for S&S to test the waters. A few years later, closer to 2000, S&S did print a few omnibuses on their own from each classic series spin-off series, but these only lasted for a maximum of 3 books (and most only got 1 book; the Hardy Boys Casefiles was the one series that got 3 omnibuses) before cancellation.

So maybe S&S and CBS are using the Prometheus trilogy as a test to see if books written in a foreign language and then translated to English have a market in the US-Canada. Plus there's nothing stating that S&S won't pick up the hard copy rights and, instead of printing 3 books, S&S would just print an omnibus of Prometheus with all 3 in 1 book.

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Meshes completely. The authors are fans of the continuity and took pains to adhere to it while avoiding easy contradictions by Anglophone authors that wouldn't have read the series.
    President sh'Kellesar is a personal highlight.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Allright then, awesome!! I have no issues with reading stories that aren't part of that continuity. Good lit is good lit. But I do love this whole intertwined TrekLit universe. :D

Avro Arrow, Idran and Markonian like this.
  12. Markonian

It's dripping with references to TrekLit.

13. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

This only seems to make sense to me if S&S had any sort of say in whether or not CrossCult went ahead with green-lighting Prometheus in the first place, since this is the first Trek novel to ever be written in a non-English language. But I don't believe S&S did have any say in that.

Unless you don't mean Trek books specifically; if you do mean books in general, this happens a lot already.

14. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

S&S might have a right of first refusal so far as publication in the US (they're paying a hefty fee for the rights they've licensed, after all). There likely was some discussion somewhere about how best to proceed.

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Whether it's CBS or Simon & Schuster (after all CBS does own Simon & Schuster), because this is a first, someone has suggested proceeding with caution. Plus we have seen in German translations how there was a delay of upto a couple of years between the release of the original English version and the German translation. Maybe we will see hard copy versions but not for a few years due to Pockets schedule.

16. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Right, but I'm talking about the fact that Prometheus was written at all in the first place. It doesn't make sense to me that S&S might have just been using this as a test case for a US market if this was the first time there was ever a foreign-language Trek novel to begin with and if S&S didn't have any say in the creation of Prometheus.

Though I think @Bernd Perplies mentioned earlier that S&S doesn't have a right of first refusal anyway, that Cross Cult has full publication rights worldwide.

17. Dayton Ward

I don't know what - if any - involvement S&S had with Prometheus. There's obviously a relationship with CrossCult because of the translations of English-language Trek books, so it stands to reason there was a discussion about bringing things the other way.

18. Markonian

Let's hope any agreement paves the way for another PROM adventure.
    You'll love the well-rounded characters, believe me.

Kilana2 and borgboy like this.
  19. Dayton Ward

More Star Trek is always a good thing. :)

Avro Arrow, Jinn and aventinelover like this.
  20. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just finished reading it and I really liked it. Especially the easter eggs.....;)

Jinn likes this.