George W. Bush's "The Expanse"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by slappy, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

I liked the fact that The Expanse is leading to in a new direction. I also like the fact that it was exciting, something that's been lacking on ENT....but....

The episode wreaked of Bush administration propoganda. We have the "let's get these bastards" run-and-gun thing going complete with the emotional blackmail using innocent deaths. Sound familiar?

Of course we have the whispers of a mysterious Xindi "weapon of mass destruction". Ooooooh. All the more reason to kick their ass, right? Sound familiar?

Next we have big bad Soval, who is a villain because he doesn't support the war...er....cause. Sound familiar?

If the writers are smart enough to bring us back to the actual message of Trek, and come up with some thoughtful allegories using this premise then all the better. If this turns into a "kick some Ira...I mean Xindi ass" show, then we have a problem.

2. JohnM

JohnM Admiral Admiral

Time to destroy and KILL all the X people and all the WMD's!!!!

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that's a fair assessment.

One thing that appears to be true is that Future Guy was less than forthcoming when "helping" Archer figure out who the bad guys were. He wouldn't tell him exactly where to find them, and he misled Archer about the time-travel (as opposed to time-communication) thing.

4. Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly Commander Red Shirt

Now wouldn't it be great if they got there and couldn't find any WMD? "Er, we actually came here to liberate the Xindi...yeah! That was the plan all along!" :p

Seriously, I doubt they'll make the Xindi out to be villains for long. It was only because they were threatened with destruction that they acted in the first place. Sooner or later they'll all realize that they need to band together against the various FGs.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

That's a pretty weak link. Are you sure you just aren't making yourself believe it's a parallel to the Bush administration so that you can use your political views as another reason to hate the show?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the show too much either. I just think you're stretching it to find a link between the two. There have been countless stories just like "The Expanse" in all of entertainment throughout the years. It's just a classic and overused plot- boring, cookie-cutter, and predictable, IMHO.

6. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the exact same thing. However, we do not know where it will develop. It is possible (but very unlikly) that B&B will use Archer's initial Bush like attitude of "let's kill the bastards" to have him develop and mature into something else. There is great potential here for huge moral dilemmas. For example, if Earth knew that a race would wipe theirs out completely, wouldn't we take measures to protect ourselves?

...and thus the circle begins. We are only doing exactly what the Xindi are doing, protecting ourselves. Each side has a compeling argument that they were not the agressors, etc...

7. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

You know that's truly one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard on this board.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Me too ... and that's pretty tough, because I see a LOT of idiotic things on this board!

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: Exactly.

It's neither a "weak link" or a stupid thing -- the parallels are dropped so heavily on us in this episode that anyone who stood too close to their tv could wind up with a broken foot.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Some people will go to great lengths to find (fabricate) parallels with their political agendas, unfortunately.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

.. yea... lots of people have agendas. :D

12. PurpleBuddha

Are you kidding? As was stated above the parallels hit you over the head. I did not have to look for anything.

Edit: meant in reply to Mr. Spock.

13. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

Lookee here, lookee here. It seems a touched a nerve or two with my comparison. Go back and read the WHOLE post. I liked the episode. I like Enterprise.

I made a simple comparison and somehow made the most "idotic comparison ever". Interesting. Is everyone sure THEIR political views aren't obstructing their own vision? Perhaps, I should've made my post a bit more neutral....then again that would've defeated the purpose.

Next time I have an original thought, I'll keep it to myself, the Dixie Chicks, and Jeneane Garofolo.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm kidding... those other guys are avoiding.

Naturally... good questions. :)

But The Expanse itself never had any dialog that sussed out the issues or even what to do beyond Archer insisting he should take Enteprise to stop the Cindies plans... somewhere in 2000 light years of space.

They are looking for Osama but they don't know where... so Archer believes his 'intellegence' and goes a waring into Iraq... er, the Expanse. :D

Will it set up drama and give us moral tales to parallel our own scary terrorist threatening times? HA! No man. What are you thinking? This is Enterprise. :lol:

15. Raz

Raz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Then the Xindi have already won.

16. PurpleBuddha

Yes, that is probably true. Now would be a relevant time for it though.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

^^^ you should have been watching Buffy. They created their own war and laid sub-text in thier dialog that is truly exciting to hear comming out of my TV.

The Expanse was allll setup. The only dialog was Trip being white trash angry and Archer agreeing with him while drinking. It's all set up to parellel 9/11 but we get no story with it. Only hollow reactions.

btw... did anyone notice they never showed these 'military' people who are supposedly onboard now?

T'Pol went AWOL??? Oops!

And everyone thinks this ep was juuust great. :D

18. :lol:

19. Commander Maddux

Commander Maddux Vice Admiral

Thank you for your courage.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

And of course, the Xindi will admit to having them and agree to disarm. Then they'll stall and obfuscate for 12 years while the Vulcans give them chance after chance. Then Archer, having seen Earth suffer another attack from a species that the Xindi have long been known to harbor and supply, will give them one last chance--disarm and show us the proof that they have or we invade.

The Xindi will refuse, naturally, and we'll mop the floor with them in 3-4 episodes. But then we can't find the new WMD probe within a few more eps. Suddenly, the Vulcans, who demanded over 12 years to look for the WMDs themselves, will start whining that we haven't found them in a mere 8 episodes. And we'll be left with the questions . . .

1) Did the Xindi simply hide their weapons really well in the 12 years that the Vulcans dicked around and it will just take some time to dig them out?

2) Did the Xindi pass their weapons to the Syr--I mean, the Romulans?

3) Or was the leader of the Xindi simply the biggest idiot in the history of the world, having the means to prove that the WMDs were destroyed all along but refusing to hand the documentation over as he had agreed to 12 years before out of sheer pique?

Yeah, that'd make for a great season of Trek. Too bad it would go over the heads of so many. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.