George Takei accused of sexual assault.

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Turtletrekker, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems strange how all these allegations ae rearing their heads all at the same time! Maybe it's true, maybe it's not but it will get the accuser a lot of attention and the reverse for the accused!
    JB

3. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Maybe they’re all "rearing their heads all at the same time" because there’s a US nationwide #MeToo campaign about victims stepping up and speaking against sexual harassment and assault? If not now when?

Mark 2000, Sibyl, Jedman67 and 16 others like this.
  4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Exactly. They're coming out together because there is a wave of support for victims which emboldens others to step forward.

This is a really disappointing story. I'm pretty gutted.

Mark 2000, Sibyl, antinoos and 4 others like this.
  5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, exactly.

However, I'll give George the benefit of the doubt at this point until more is known or further allegations come to light.

Depressingly, in the other instances I've taken this view, lots of other stuff has come to light...

6. cultcross

I'd like to see his response. A trend in these allegations is the person admitting or at least not denying the allegations of there is merit to them; I would like to see how he responds.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

There's another Trek figure who sexually harassed crew on a set as I've heard from someone who was there, so don't be surprised if one or more come to light.

Sindatur, Gepard and BillJ like this.
  8. Hollywood's in a mudslide seems like...

Satron likes this.
  9. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

10. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

How about right after the assault happened? Not decades later when there's no proof other than a "memory."

11. cultcross

George has responded:

Friends,

I'm writing to respond to the accusations made by Scott R. Brunton. I want to assure you all that I am as shocked and bewildered at these claims as you must feel reading them.

The events he describes back in the 1980s simply did not occur, and I do not know why he has claimed them now. I have wracked my brain to ask if I remember Mr. Brunton, and I cannot say I do. But I do take these claims very seriously, and I wanted to provide my response thoughtfully and not out of the moment.

Right now it is a he said / he said situation, over alleged events nearly 40 years ago. But those that know me understand that non-consensual acts are so antithetical to my values and my practices, the very idea that someone would accuse me of this is quite personally painful.

Brad, who is 100 percent beside me on this, as my life partner of more than 30 years and now my husband, stands fully by my side. I cannot tell you how vital it has been to have his unwavering support and love in these difficult times.

Thanks to many of you for all the kind words and trust. It means so much to us.

Yours in gratitude,

George

12. Captain of the USS Averof

"Speak now or forever hold your peace?" It doesn’t work that way. Some of the victims were ashamed or afraid to speak about it 40, or 30, or 20 years ago. Some of the victims were children or under age back then. Heck, even now when we’re approaching 2018 some of the victims are still intimidated or hesitant to come forward.

Mark 2000, Sibyl, Jedman67 and 8 others like this.
  13. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Yes but who do you believe? Who are the real victims and who are the ones making it up just to pile on? That's one of the problems when you don't have proof. Now non-victims have a powerful weapon to destroy someone's career without having to present a shred of evidence.

At the very least, maybe this "movement" will encourage real victims to speak out immediately, instead of keeping it bottled up for years.

14. Captain of the USS Averof

Agreed. That’s what this movement is/should be all about I believe. If victims feel that they have society’s support and acceptance maybe they will be encouraged to speak up immediately from now on. And maybe this current outcry will make potential sexual assailants with economic and social power think twice about attempting it again.

15. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is exactly where I'm at.

Something I would say is -- the accusations against Weinstein, Spacey, Toback, Ratner, Piven, CK (I'm forgetting other examples) all did immediately fit. It was consistent with what we already knew, or had long been rumored, about who they were.

George Takei, this is very inconsistent with what we know of him. Of course, you never really know who the actor truly is beneath their public facade, and I have been skeptical of a single allegation before, only to have the floodgates of additional accusers immediately open.

But Takei's statement has the ring of truth to it. I hope it is actually true, and not just persuasively written.

16. alensatemybuick1

alensatemybuick1 Captain Captain

The problem I have with accusations like this is the time element involved, and the imperfection of memory. I know for a fact that some things I was CERTAIN I remembered accurately turned out not to be the case. I hope and pray that my fate never rests on being convicted (in a court of law or in the court of public opinion) of something based only on what someone says I did.

PhotoBoy, Nyotarules, Kor and 3 others like this.
  17. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

I read the OP's link and the followup --> http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/11/11/george-takei-sexual-assault/

Okay, one goes to a bar. Having been in the GLBT community in the past, those bars exist mainly for one thing - to find hookups, since there are no other venues available. The old cliché of buying drinks aside, what's the guy doing going to Takei's place afterward? In most cases, the answer is "sexual release". Not always but often enough that it becomes a cliché.

Did the guy ask what the drinks were? I'd bet real money that they were not ice cool lemonade, but were alcoholic beverages. Like, "DUH!!!". (Everyone knows what alcohol does, even straight people into casual sex go through similar motions to loosen inhibitions to make life easier with a total stranger who might spread who-knows-what disease and/or offspring onto them. So why would Takei need to spike it with anything to begin with if the goal was to chum up to him and have some mindless fun? Takei's a big name, like a rock star. Most people would want to go all the way just for the association. None of this is new or staggering.)

If what the guy was saying is true, Takei was taking no chances if the psychological manipulation alone was ineffective?

Doesn't mean he should have spiked the drink, if he had. No justification for that.

If nothing else,

Though there can be women who will do it to, just as consciously and with equal intent. George was unintentionally being racist by flagging only men.

18. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

And it all begins with one.

The court of "popular public opinion" should have little relevance; we just don't know all the facts and neither do the media outlets, even I have to concede that. And like that recent Orville episode went, "Majority Rule", it follows in the line of numerous sci-fi stories that rely on mob rule a little too much, there's a time and a place. Check out Doctor Who's more vicious entry, "Vengeance on Varos" for a more extreme and pure 80s dystopian cliché example.

Many people said the same thing for Bill Cosby at the time. And on stand he did admit to using drugs - for one occasion, which isn't proof he was doing it all the time.

It's possible, but noting gay stereotypes it seems highly improbable that drugs were needed to force any issue - I'll agree.

19. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hollywood be Hollywoodin'. :techman:

20. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I believe in the rule of law (e. g. innocent until proven guilty). I also believe one of the great things about our society is - when the justice system works properly (and we all know that's not guaranteed) - we don't just throw defendants to an angry mob. We even guarantee them a defense and a trial.

The following were tried and convicted and sentenced via proper channels:
    • Charles Manson
    • Timothy McVeigh
    • Terry Nichols
    • Jeffrey Dahmer
    They're pretty much universally reviled yet we still put them through our (imperfect) justice system. I am well aware, as is everyone else, that there's also execution via police officer/suicide by cop. Our system, though, when it is working properly, is a good thing.

Hence I'm not about to excoriate Takei without more supporting proof.

That having been said, it's also important for victims to feel they are believed, and that what they have to say won't just be dismissed out of hand, particularly when they are accusing someone with some degree of power. In fact, per the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape, that is why a lot of victims don't come forward immediately.

Victims have lots of reasons to delay (some more legit than others):
    • Being a minor at the time of the incident
    • Fearing they will lose a job or the ability to get future jobs
    • Threats of violence
    • Fear they will be tarred with the brush of "s/he was asking for it", particularly if there is anything which the public or a defense attorney could have on them which would somehow support that, everything from single parenthood, to homosexuality, to a reputation for being easy, to wearing clothes believed to be provocative, to having a criminal record, to drug abuse at any time in their lives and not just at the time of the incident, to poverty (seen as a motivation to try to destroy someone or extort $$ from them), to having been in a relationship with the accused at any time in the past (ditto), to simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time, etc.
    • Fear the public will side with the accused the first time, every time
    • Fear they will not be believed, or even ridiculed
    • Shame in the activity, particularly if it was consensual at one time, or if it started off as consensual and then turned into the opposite
    Alison Arngrim and Corey Feldman talk about it here (in 2011): http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...n-hollywood-just-tip-iceberg-experts-say.html

Are there people out there looking to make a buck and falsely accusing others? Sadly, yes. I'd like to see the ratio though. I suspect they are a small percentage of those who come forward.

Believing accusers but also not rushing to be judge, jury, and executioner of the accused is not a contradictory position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.