George Lucas's ideas for Episodes 7-9

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by DarKush, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe she extracted some of his midi chlorians and then kept them in cold storage for years, to be put to creative use at a later date.

Kor

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You never heard of clones?

Also, it's a joke-I do that ;)

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well if nothing else it's nice to finally get an answer on just what exactly the Whills are supposed to be.

And for those choosing to wilfully misunderstand the concept: he's not saying microbes control the force, he's saying that what is referred to as "the will of the force" originates from the Whills, which are omnipresent symbiotic creatures that exist at the micro, possibly quantum level of reality and use the midichlorians as symbiotic go-betweens to communicate.
    The force itself is still a mystical energy field created by all living things, it's just the Whills seem to occupy the field itself at the quantum level. Just as you can stand in a still pool of water and make waves and ripples with your hands, so do the Whills manipulate the force and yet they are no more "the force" than your hands are the water. There's a direct relationship, but it's just that; a relationship. A symbiosis of sympathetic systems.

Which honestly would account for a lot of what we've seen the force do; Space, time and the laws of physics get very screwy at that level and any life-form able to straddle that gap would have a much different, higher dimensional view of the universe than we do.

ETA: It kind of brings to mind this well know lecture by Carl Sagan.
    It also seems to jibe well with the concept of the light and dark side being an expression of balance and disharmony, respectively. The light moves in sympathy with the greater whole, while the dark seeks to dominate and control the greater whole in an unsustainable parasitic relationship.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Sounds exciting!

Jedi_Master and Kor like this.
  5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I honestly fell asleep reading this...

@EnsignRicky - your posts reveal a rather disturbing level of animus directed at just one person - Rian Johnson. That doesn't seem healthy.

Kemaiku likes this.
  6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, no it wouldn’t

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Your short attention span and inability to walk and chew gum at the same time is duly noted.

I imagine that would work about as well as stuffing more wiring inside a computer and hoping for it to go faster. Midi-chlorians are the messengers, not the message nor the medium itself.
    The "midi-chlorian count" thing was an effect of a being that is highly force sensitive, not the cause of them being highly force sensitive. Since there's will (or rather "Whills") behind the actions of the midi-chlorians, any attempt to artificially graft them probably wouldn't take. They're probably just refuse to bond with the new host cells and die, or just go dormant.

8. Jedi_Master

Midi-chlorians are the worst idea Lucas ever had, and he wrote and filmed a scene where twin siblings swap spit.

9. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why does the force need to be further explained? Some things are better left to the imagination.

Obi-Wan's description of the force in the original is simple and elegant. That's all you need.

Kor and Jedi_Master like this.
  10. Jedi_Master

Thank you!
    Yoda's addendum in TESB was beneficial, and the two of them together need no further explanation. Lucas seems to have fallen into the way of thinking favored by some of the most obsessive SW fans: EVERYTHING MUST BE EXPLAINED

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

JJ has sort of codified the explanation addiction, has he not? The mystery box concept.

The problem is once you unwrap that mystery box, what are you left with? It's sort of an empty experience.

Star Wars is full of those sorts of reveals, like Darth Vader being Luke's father, etc... It's not the reveal that matters, it's the underlying moral or messaging. In the case of the OT, it's a redemption story.

I don't see a way to make the Whills resonate unless you somehow give them more of a sense of purpose, maybe like treating them as analogs of angels and demons like the original Battlestar Galactica did with the ship of light and Count Iblis. But since BSG got there first, there would be inevitable comparisons.

Kor likes this.
  12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

1) He came up with midi-chlorians during the drafting of the original script are are mentioned in the notes he made for licencees in 1977, just after the movie came out. So they've always been there, whether you like it or not.

2) No, he wrote and filmed a scene in which one friend kissed another to make a third jealous. That they were later revealed to be siblings is something that was decided at a later date and thus did not inform either the conception or execution of the scene at the time.
    Context matters; Though I'm starting to get that this may be to complex a concept for you to grasp.

Which is exactly why that's all you got within the story...and later when you needed a little more, we got Yoda who gave us a little more. That doesn't mean there isn't more going on that's not immediately relevant to the story, but may be revealed later when it is.

You only have to look at the EU and how insane the power creep got to understand why the back-end this kind of thing needs to be worked out ahead of time. For any fantasy setting with magical powers that has a hope of staying internally consistent, there needs to be a set of rules and concept of the mechanics of how it all works, even if the full explanation itself is never fully divulged within the narrative itself. Just as there needs to be some thought behind how Hyperspace travel works, some similar thought must be given to how the force works.

Just going to point out that the idea that BSG "got there first" is pretty funny considering Lucas once sued them for plagiarism. :lol:

Anyway, the idea of Angels and Demons is a bit too much of a western/Abrahamic/mono-theistic concept. Star Wars mysticism has always been more akin to Eastern philosophy.
    Indeed, I'd argue that anthropomorphising the force and it's will would utterly destroy any sense of mystery since you can equate it to simple personalities and mortal conflicts.

All that said, they kinda-sorta already did something kind of similar in the guise of the Mortis Gods. Though they're less servants of a greater, centralised authority figure like the aforementioned Abrahamic "God" and more like avatars of the natural forces of the universe.

Knowing the Whills exist and are enacting their "will" as we understand it only adds to the mystery. I mean who the hell knows how a higher dimensional collective intelligence that exists outside of space-time thinks, much less what they might actually want? Their actions would be just as baffling and unknowable to us as we would be to the people of Flatland.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    PhotoBoy likes this.
  13. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

There might get be space clinics for this kind of stuff... Sorta like a fertility clinic where Maul could go to a back room with some magazines

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because we live in the day and age where everything needs an explanation, whether it is actually needed or not.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  15. Jedi_Master

I am glad there are smart people out there to explain how Star Wars works, I'm still working on tying my shoes.

johnjm22 likes this.
  16. Kor

Any inclusion of midi-chlorians with Lucas' ideas for Star Wars from the 1970s seems to be a big retcon, inserted three decades after the fact in the 2007 book The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film (see page 353).

Not just SW; devoted fans of just about any SF&F property seem overly eager for every little thing to be explained, even though that does nothing but detract from good, organic storytelling and narrative flow.

Kor

Jedi_Master likes this.
  17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, the reference to midichlorians was added to the 1977 material after the fact, according to Rinzler. However, going by the same source, it appears that this part is allegedly legit from the original: It is said that certain creatures are born with a higher awareness of the Force than humans. Their brains are different.

That's fanon designed to get out from under midichlorians.

"The more you have, the more your cells are able to speak intuitively to the Force itself and use the powers of the Force."
    - George Lucas

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Kor likes this.
  18. Kor

This is the source, by Rinzler himself: https://www.starwars.com/news/so-what-the-heck-are-midi-chlorians

Kor

Jedi_Master likes this.
  19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I know, that's what I was talking about.

20. Kor

Yes, this was more in case anybody swooped in to demand "sources."

Kor