GEORGE LUCAS: What are his plans for the third trilogy?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Admiral Admiral

But I thought only stupid, unlikable punks did horrifically evil things like killing innocent children.

So that would make the average galactic citizen a stupid, unlikable, horrifically evil punk.

....actually, that works. Carry on.:techman:

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh?

To play devil's advocate here, Star Wars '77 and Star Trek '09 both feature an old man telling our young hero about his destiny. He was meant to have this lightsaber or he was meant to be captain of the Enterprise. They are men shadowed by their destinies... by their fathers, a Jedi Knight and a captain of a starship respectively.

The inexorable progress of destiny, of fate that makes Luke's rise as a Jedi Knight and Kirk and Spock's bromance as constant as the Northern Star... well, it's something, alright. The real mystical mumbo-jumbo of the original Star Wars trilogy is tied directly into this - Luke's need to simultaneously embrace the destiny of his father (to become a Jedi Knight in A New Hope) and to reject it (to not become a Sith Lord Empire Strikes Back), and then to reject his father's own dark past in reedming him (Return of the Jedi).

Really, Kirk's relationship to his dead father is pretty similart to Luke's relationship to his dead father in '77. The dead veteran of the Clone Wars and the dead hero of the USS Kelvin are men who Kirk and Luke have to live up to to come into their own.

3. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I've watched some interviews with that Dave Fillioni character. His tongue is so far up George Lucas' ass he tastes the childhood tears that George drinks by the truckload.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Would we be able to tell? :lol:

5. klingonhybrid

klingonhybrid Ensign Red Shirt

Well, I dont know TOO much about star wars, but I think the clone wars could have been an awesome trilogy or even just one movie. Instead they did the GARBAGE cartoon show on a time where MANY cool things were happening....people were choosing sides, jedis were going into hiding, think of all of the things that happened.

The novels in this period are excellent. TOO BAD Lucas didnt pull his head out of his ass and do movies for this period.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Wars fans are amusing.

7. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

"In the sequel Luke would be a sixty-year-old Jedi knight. Han Solo and Leia would be together…The sequel focuses mainly on Luke, and Lucas says Mark Hamill will have first crack at the part if he is old enough. 'If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves,'"

Wow imagine Hamill coming back. how old is he now? he'd be nearing his 60's surely.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Where'd you find that quote?

9. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

If his bio is to be believed, he'll be sixty next year.

I wouldn't put too much stock in a sequel trilogy though. For one thing, given his remarks, I doubt Harrison Ford will ever play Han Solo again. It's not like he needs the green. Of course, they could always ask Perry King to do it. I liked him better in the radio series anyhow. Hell, I liked the radio series better than the movies.

11. Kegg

He probably didn't need the 'green' to don the hat as Indy one more time, but he did it anyway.

Not that I think they'll ever make these movies, but if Lucas really wanted to get the original cast back together honestly I think he could swing it.

12. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Just wait for George Lucas to croak. Then there'll be more Star Wars media than you can handle.

13. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Harrison Ford likes playing Indy though compared to Han Solo. His reasoning is that Han is a more one-dimensional character compared to Indiana Jones, although I think the opposite is true-Han goes from smuggler to rebel hero, while Indiana remains mostly the same, although some of the 'edge' the character had vanished in the last two films (Crusade and of course KOTCS).

Another reason I think he prefers Indiana Jones is because he had a much easier time working on the films and with Spielberg than with Lucas, Kershner and Marquand.

14. Kegg

Or, perhaps, the issue is Indiana Jones is the lead character of his own film franchise and Han Solo plays second fiddle to Mark Hamill.

But yeah, it may just be me, but when I last saw the original trilogy Ford seemed to be phoning it in a bit in Return of the Jedi.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ HE wanted Han to be killed off in ROTJ. As regards the phoning it in, it probably doesn't help that he was given less to do with in this movie; although we saw Han finally become and out and out willing rebel, he was still much less interesting than he'd been as a an anti-hero.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That depends on who gets to control the property after his death. It's possible nobody will be allowed to play in the Star Wars sandbox after he's died.

17. Kegg

^
    I'm pretty sure Lucas said he had some kind of stop on Star Wars films after his death.

The real deadline is seventy years after Lucas' death, or however long it takes for Star Wars to become public domain. Then we (assuming any of us are still alive and still care at that point) might see a fair few unrelated Star Wars projects.

18. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Carbonite is hell. After just a few months you come out bloated, listless, with a $14 Hair Cuttery shag.

Yes, it's in that Wookieepedia link. Who knows how it would hold up legally if his kids wanted to make more live action films. (Presuming, of course, that he leaves the franchise to them alone.)

I think the only possible way Harrison Ford would ever agree to do so much as a voice-over for a Star Wars project would be for GL to use a potential Indy project as a carrot.

19. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

He says a lot of bullshit. Case in point: this thread.

I guarantee that within a few years after he's croaked, there'll be tons of stuff, including television series and movies. Guarantee.

20. Kegg

True, but if he's actually set aside some kind of legal proviso preventing people from making movies, I assume that'd be enough to stop them making those movies... so long as the copyright holds.

Well, Lucas didn't say anything about TV, and given the rate the live-action show is going...