General Trek Questions and Observations

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Old Mixer, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Tenacity

Tenacity Commodore Commodore

^ No.

Although various fan/pro fictions have come up with a few creative ideas.

Rachel88 likes this.
  2. Rachel88

Rachel88 Ensign Newbie

Does anyone know why only Wrath of Khan has been made available in the 4K format?

3. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

I wonder why Ethan Phillips was uncredited for his role in First Contact?

4. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

I thought the JJ movies were also available in 4K.

TWOK has long been the most popularly and critically acclaimed Trek movie, like the flagship of the franchise. That's probably why it was the first of the "prime" movies to get the 4K treatment.

Kor

5. Rachel88

Rachel88 Ensign Newbie

Makes sense. I forgot about the JJ movies. Probably because I hate them.

6. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's a question about the Nexus. Actually a couple of questions.

Did everyone on the Enterprise when it crashed on Veridian 3 enter the Nexus or did the shock wave kill them before that?

What other things do you think Kirk would have seen in the Nexus? I like to think maybe he would have seen "What might have been" with Edith Keeler. I remember reading the novelization of the movie and I don't think she was mentioned when it described the different alternate lives he explored in the Nexus.

If Picard had a chance or he never left the Nexus, do you think he would have wanted to stay with his family from The Inner Light?

7. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

He had no family from "The Inner Light" -- he lived out a life in somebody's else position.

8. Graham

Graham Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes, in the Star Trek : Destiny novels we see the origin of the Borg. Well worth reading.

9. Six of Twelve

But the Destiny novels are not canon. Though the trilogy was well-written and enjoyable to read, I didn't care for how the author explained their origin or their demise. The human centeredness was eye-rolling, to say the least.

10. Graham

Graham Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't mind that one bit.

11. Six of Twelve

If Destiny was canon, humans would be Species 1, not Species 5618

12. alysespencer

alysespencer Cadet Newbie

13. Dimesdan

Dimesdan Living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Does it actually matter? It's not like any of Trek is real.

14. Six of Twelve

Why do you bother to post here, then, if it doesn't matter and that it's just a TV show? Just watch it once and forget about it. You would have done better to simply ignore my post if you didn't have anything relevant to add and simply wanted to sneer at my post.

UnknownSample and Kor like this.
  15. Dimesdan

Dimesdan Living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Because, even though I know it is all just a TV programme and movies, I also enjoy watching said programme and movies and reading the books and sometimes like to discuss what has happened in said programmes, movies or books.

Canon to me is an artificial and silly construct, given that all of Trek is made up and that content deemed canon can be overwritten by someone new coming along, to me, it doesn't matter if that content is on film or on paper.

I wasn't sneering, maybe I phrased the question poorly, or the failing falls with you, but it was a genuine question and one I was curious to know the answer too.

So again @Six of Twelve, given that none of Trek is real, does it matter if something is deemed to be canon or not?

16. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

It's an inaccurate knockoff. The material is wrong, and they messed up a number of details including the delta insignia. I wouldn't pay more than $25 cash for something like that at a swap meet or some random table peddling unlicensed sports and movie merchandise on the side of a city boardwalk in New York or San Francisco without a vendor's license before the cops come along and make them pack up and go somewhere else.

Kor

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

You received an excellent and "real" answer to your "real" question, the first time. Even when it's a very extended story that you're telling, even if not everyone remembers the earliest events in the story, you still try not to contradict what has come before. It's just competent writing.

"I don't care about that, therefore no one should"-- That should be the bumper sticker for casual fans.

Six of Twelve likes this.
  18. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In his mind and his memories, they were HIS family. He missed them, even if he was experiencing the memories of someone else.

Six of Twelve likes this.
  19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Disavowed by the Secretary Moderator

Connecticut will self-destruct in five seconds
    New Trek BBS Drinking Game rule: Drink every time somebody mentions The Orville in a Trek thread.

1001001 likes this.
  20. 1001001

1001001 VERY STABLE GENIUS!!! Moderator

Good one.

Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired of that.

It was mildly clever the first 1000 times, but...

Dimesdan likes this.