Spoilers General Disco Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Read beat not bit... My French upbringing is showing...

XCV330 likes this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Spock has to be 10 or younger in the flashback, so it can't be any later than 2240. If Sybok were born in 2224, he'd be high school age. I think he'd have been born earlier. If Spock was 7 and Sybok was 21, then Spock would still remember him. I'm guessing because of the huge age difference, they probably didn't interact much. "Go play outside!" Or maybe Sybok would get stuck babysitting him. It would be more like an uncle and a brother than a brother and a brother.

It's not like Spock, if he were 7 in this scenario, could even join Sybok in his College Radical "Stick It to The Man!" Cause. But maybe Spock sees Sybok again around the time Sybok was banished from Vulcan... with Sarek completely disapproving of Sybok.

Sarek would probably think, "If I can raise Spock and Michael to be Vulcan, then there is no reason a Vulcan cannot act Vulcan. If I can be married to Amanda, who is a Human wife, then once again, there is no reason a Vulcan cannot live with a Human, intimately, and still be Vulcan. It is not logical."

The more I think about Spock's Family Drama, the more interesting it gets. I want to hear the story about what happened between Sarek and the Vulcan Princess. Divorcing from royalty, if they got divorced, had to make all the headlines. And then the rebel son. Not good. "Sarek, we wish to make you an Ambassador to Earth. Precisely because we believe you have all the appropriate characteristics to successfully interact with that world."

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    fireproof78 likes this.
  3. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Actually, I'd love to see more of Sybock. The character was a stupid idea in the first place, but now that he exists, he's an interesting part of the lore that is mostly forgotten and severely underdeveloped. Whe rumors first started that season 2 would be about faith vs science and with the Vulcan extremists showing up in season 1, my first guess was that Sybok might be part of the plot this season and that we might see how a Vulcan, Spocks halfbrother nonetheless, would start a career as a mysticist, maybe as a reaction to the inner political turmoil on his home planet.

I guess that goes back to my wish to dive deeper into alien cultures and see more diversityor complexity in them. the monocultural aliens of 90s Trek were fine when I was a kid or teen, but as I grew older, the idea of a whole alien species being easily classified by one broad stroke like "the capitalist aliens", "the logical aliens", "the religious aliens" or "the warrior aliens" became way too ridiculous to take seriously.

DSC has the chance to delve deeper and I guess the tried in season one with the Klingons, showing us sides we had never seen before and adding to the established lore in numerous ways, but they kinda stopped midway when the first wave of 90s purists outrage hit them, which I think is a shame.

4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Why have a number of threads just crumbled to crap the last two days over completely off-topic, inflammatory, baiting foolishness???

Isn't there a place here everyone can go and be isolated to debate racist hair styles, white bread gravestones, religion, and whatever else everyone feels the bizarre need to fucking fight about? Christ, like there isn't enough of that bullshit making everyone mad in the everyday world...people have to bring it in here, an otherwise wonderful place to escape and talk about something in fantasyland that we all love, and cause distractions and draw lines and get angry.

Starting to lose my interest in coming in here to read because of this stuff.

Sorry if it's an overreaction to something that happens a page or two ago...but damn.

5. Vger23

I actually think Sybok was a great character. "Controversial " isn't the same as "bad idea. " I think the fact that there's still healthy debate and discussion (and almost universal interest in seeing more backstory) about him 30 years later is a testament to that.

6. Hythlodeus

I agree, that's why I stated that he's interesting. I just don't think the "Hey, we need a twist for the second act, what about making the villain secretly related to one of the main protagonists?" is original or clever. What the writers made out of the initially dumb idea however, that was pretty good.

Deledrius likes this.
  7. Vger23

Agreed...although having read all the "making of" material on this film, they actually did it not to generate a twist, but because they wanted a strong enough reason for Spock to seemingly hesitate or, in earlier drafts of the script, outright betray Kirk.

8. Hythlodeus

Just get Sean Connery to play that part and everyone will understand...
    *searches for slash fiction*

Lord Garth and Vger23 like this.
  9. Lord Garth

Yesh. Shomeone should shit down and write that shtory out!

Agony_Boothb, XCV330 and Hythlodeus like this.
  10. Lord Garth

This will be Spock's family by the time we get to the 100th Anniversary... :devil:

11. Hythlodeus

Ah, the Sarek Bunch...I'd watch that.

"Michael, Michael, Michael!"

12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Here's the story 'bout a Vulcan named Sarek.
    Who was bringing up three very messed up kids.
    All of them, had different Mother's.
    He was a strange boyfriend.
    <snicker>

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I went with a My Three Sons parody:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lord Garth likes this.
  14. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I just noticed that IMDB has writers listed for most of the episodes (maybe not 100% accurate but probably mostly accurate):

New Eden (Episode 2)
    STORY: Akiva Goldsman, Sean Cochran
    TELEPLAY: Vaun Wilmott
    - Vaun WIlmott is a new writer on the show who previously wrote for Dominion and Prison Break. He created Dominion.

Episode 3
    WRITER: Andrew Colville
    - He is a new writer who previously wrote for Turn, Graceland, Nikita, Lone Star, Mad Men, The 4400, and Threshold.

Episode 4
    STORY: Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts, Jordon Nardino
    TELEPLAY: Andrew Colville

Episode 5
    WRITER: Kirsten Beyer

Episode 6
    WRITER: Bo Yeon Kim (she's the only one listed but this is probably written by Erika Lippoldt too)

Episode 7
    WRITERS: Ted Sullivan, Vaun Wilmott

If Memory Serves (Episode 8)
    WRITERS: Jay Beattie, Dan Dworkin
    - These are two new Star Trek writers who previously created The Crossing and wrote for Of Kings And Prophets, Matador, Scorpion, Revenge, The Event, Mercy, Criminal Minds, and Cold Case.

Episode 9
    WRITER: Michelle Paradise
    - She is a new Star Trek writer who previously wrote for The Originals, Rogue, Hart Of Dixie, and Exes & Ohs

Episode 10
    WRITERS: Anthony Maranville and Chris Silvestri
    - These are 2 new writers to Star Trek. Silvestri was a writer's assistant on Hannibal. Maranville was a production assistant on Monk.

Episode 11
    No writers listed

Episode 12
    WRITERS: Bo Yeon Kim and Erika Lippoldt

Episode 13
    WRITERS: Alex Kurtzman, Jenny Lumet, Michelle Paradise
    - Jenny Lumet is a new Star Trek writer (she also co-wrote the Short Trek Runaway). One of her few writing credits is the story for The Mummy.

Episode 14
    WRITERS: Jenny Lumet and Michelle Paradise (I bet this one is wrong but we’ll see)

Vger23 and Tuskin38 like this.
  15. marlboro

marlboro Guest

I like Sybok, but he shouldn't have been Spock's brother. Trek used the "previously unmentioned relative" trick way too often.

Kirk has a son we knew nothing about. Bones has a daughter. Kirk seemed surprised about Sulu having a daughter.

I like to think that Scotty smuggled aboard a wife and fourteen children, and he's been stuck in a wacky comedy of errors sitcom plot for decades while he hides their existence from the captain.

Deledrius likes this.
  16. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I agree that there is something about Sybok that sets him apart from all the (not previously mentioned siblings, spouses... etc).

Vger23 likes this.
  17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

even the vulcan visitor at the end of First Contact is a relative of spock (Great grandfather I think). There is no getting around the Spock family in trek, or at least very rarely.

18. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

When was that mentioned?

19. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

complicated but I'll defer to mempory alpha: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Solkar
    Solkar being spock's ancestor and first ambassador to earth is established, Solkar being the guy who has to endure Oobie Doobie with Zefram is specified in books.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Star Trek is the story of Spock's family obviously ;)

Lord Garth, LizStargaryen and XCV330 like this.