Spoilers General Disco Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He had control issues.

2. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

So have I. I someone said to my face what they dared to say to his they'd soon find out.

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Politics, the Bible Belt, and Eden were mentioned. Never a good combination. Some stuff was sarcastic, some stuff was misinterpreted, then it snowballed from there for a little bit. It wasn't any one thing and I don't think anyone actually has any ill intentions.

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Spock's fight in ST'09 inspired by an incident mentioned in TAS?

Tim Thomason likes this.
  5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I don't know, but the kid he bit the s... out of, called his a mother a "whore" which is to me in and of itself enough of a justification.

6. Lord Garth

Not just mentioned. We actually see it in "Yesteryear". Then Sarek speaks to Spock about his anger. Ironically, no one speaks to the other kids about taunting someone just because they're Half-Human.

Deledrius likes this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was TAS' "Yesteryear" as well as Amanda's allusions in "Journey to Babel."

8. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The meaning conveyed is that Vulcan society is openly and even brazenly racist.

Not very enlightened, are they?

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is not surprising with Vulcans, given their attitude towards humanity and Andorians in ENT.

10. Lord Garth

Pretty much. There's a disconnect in their entire philosophy.

11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah right, it's been years since I watched Yesteryear

12. Nerys Myk

It's a bigger issue on Vulcan.

13. LizStargaryen

LizStargaryen Lieutenant Red Shirt

Assuming that STV and TAS' "Yesteryear" are quasi-canon, or at least, what Disco's drawing upon as inspiration, it makes total sense.

If Sybok was out of the picture, perhaps even disowned by Sarek, by the events of "Yesteryear," then between losing a half-brother, losing i-Chaya, his "cousin" Selek appearing and reappearing, and Sarek being Sarek, I'm assuming that Spock really wouldn't be keen on having some random human girl his parents are saying is his sister in the house.

What, is she going to disappear, too? Makes total sense that he wouldn't want to be bothered -- if you take those two things as canon. Not all fans do, I understand.

14. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Burnham was born in 2226 according to her onscreen personnel file. Per Lethe, on her 10th birthday, she and Amanda visited the seventh moon of Eridani D. So, the flashback has to be in 2236 at the latest.

Spock's birthdate is 2230, per Star Trek Beyond. So, he's six at the latest in this scene, even if he doesn't look it. And he hasn't dealt with the events of Yesteryear yet (that's when he's seven). His hostility in Yesteryear might be because of his human foster sister "stealing" all of his mother's attention, since he certainly doesn't have his father's.

LizStargaryen likes this.
  15. LizStargaryen

I thought he looked fairly young in that flashback -- thanks for the timeline! I had no idea what the age gap was.
    (Still hoping for Sybok to have a cameo this season...)

DaveyNY likes this.
  16. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We have no idea how old Sybok is. The Encyclopedia used to guess that he was born in 2224, but since Sarek was so old (60 by that point, 102 in Journey to Babel), I tend to assume he had his first child much earlier in life. Possibly when he was 37, a la Spock, during his first pon farr (so about 2201). That gives him plenty of time to grow up and be disowned without ever appearing in Discovery flashbacks.

17. LizStargaryen

Even if Sybok was an adult when Spock was born, his existence (or not) changes the game.

Fans were Not Okay with the sudden revelation that Spock had a foster sister. I found this odd, since Spock has had a half brother since STV. Reminding audiences of that might throw the Spock-Michael sibling rivalry into a different kind of relief.

Deledrius and Tim Thomason like this.
  18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

People weren't (aren't) okay with Sybok either. It's been a big point of contention for three decades.

But even if he was born in 2224, he would have been only college ageish around the time of the flashbacks, which means he would have come home for spring break. And if he was older than that, I doubt he would have ever had any interaction with Spock - and clearly, they did at one point.

That all said, I've always envisioned a scene where Sybok and Micheal are arguing metaphysics over breakfast whilst Spock just remains silent, stoically eating his toast with a fork.

19. Nerys Myk

:guffaw:

20. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I remember young spock punching the bejeezus out of one of his bullies. I don't remember him eating his ear.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Rorschach?