Spoilers General Disco Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Jul 6, 2018.

1. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I'm willing to cut Trek a lot of slack for being Trek, but even I have limits.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not. VOY I lasted 3 episodes, DS9 I didn't even start until after "Trials and Tribble-ations" and ENT got one episode from me.

3. CommanderRaytas

Good for you. You should never waste time watching something you dislike. For me, it has to be truly bad to turn me off, as I can get something out of most ST shows.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  4. fireproof78

I usually can too. But, one episode can push me away. It happened with Jessica Jones as well, and I thoroughly love Netflix's Daredevil.

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  5. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I imagine at some point a switch to the discoEnterprise version.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've been watching since I was four years old (that I can remember, probably a bit longer than that) in 1975. For me, Star Trek is just something that is part of my life and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

Even when it doesn't work, I can think of a lot worse ways to spend my time.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Which is how I felt about Voyager back in the day.

BillJ likes this.
  8. BillJ

If nothing else, it is fun to come here and compare notes. Something I missed when I dropped out of the final third of season one last year.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  9. fireproof78

I think can think of better ones to spend mine if it is pissing me off or annoying me.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If I ever meet SMG, she'd better live up to the hype. From what everyone says she's the nicest person on Earth! ;)

Vger23, joVuNik and Alan Roi like this.
  11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

prime

BillJ likes this.
  13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

All of them. She's a multiversal constant.

XCV330, LizStargaryen and Alan Roi like this.
  14. BillJ

I finally figured out what Burnham/Tyler reminds me of. Anakin/Padme from the Star Wars prequels.

eschaton likes this.
  15. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless, of course, there's something about what they do in the future that influences the Red Angel in a way that resets the past to eliminate it saving Michael, thus putting everything back on 100% track for TOS - but somehow Discovery is protected (along with Disco Pike and Spock) from the time changes, by something like the temporal shielding on Voyager.

I doubt it, though. If there's really going to be a Section 31 series using characters we're seeing on DSC, that would screw with their personal timelines too much. Unless... they're *also* in the future, but manage to get back before some rift or another closes just ahead of Discovery. In which case, that might explain how Section 31 goes "back" to being underground - they never came up to visibility in the Klingon War Michael caused, in the first place.
    For a lot of shows, I don't waste too much time watching if I don't like it. Trek is different though, because even if I don't like it *now*, whatever they're doing is going to be backstory for it later, when I do like what they're doing. There's just no escape. ;)
    See, and I get how one episode of that would push you away, but, you're terribly, horribly wrong. ;) Some shows take a few episodes to get going - especially on streaming media where they're dropping seasons at a time and they don't have to put an immediate hook in the first episode. But even with broadcast shows. TNG didn't come into its own for me until Season 3. "The Office" (American version) took until the fourth episode before what they were doing clicked over in my brain and I had a literal laugh out loud moment. Sometimes art takes a bit of mulling to appreciate. I couldn't stand Alanis Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill" until one day it clicked over for me, too - and now I consider it one of the few "perfect" albums (albums with no dud tracks).

(And it is true that the media can use repetition to get us tolerant of and then comfortable with stuff, too, but that's not what I'm talking about here.)

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  16. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Which one is which? :D

Tim Thomason likes this.
  17. jfordny

jfordny Lieutenant Red Shirt

:lol: I agreed with your description of them as 2 pieces of wet cardboard. I just never saw any chemistry.

If they’re returning, I hope I like them better.

18. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Considering Vulcan's most common biome, I'd say Burnham is probably the one who doesn't like sand.

19. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm actually curious now how casting for "romantic interests" typically works in movies and TV. I mean, excluding cases like long-running TV shows where two main characters eventually hook up (since there the showrunners are - hopefully - following up on natural chemistry between the actors). I mean, when Latif was auditioning, did they think to have him stand next to SMG and pretend to flirt with her or something?

There's already a scene in the trailer for the next episode with them making out, so it's not an if.

If they become an ongoing thing, I sincerely hope they just play it off as a low-key couple rather than all that overwrought emoitional bullshit they pulled last season. I could sort of buy them fading into a "Miles and Keiko" type relationship. You don't need passion for that.

Khan2012 likes this.
  20. CommanderRaytas

I'm gonna be super edgy and dramatically proclaim that I don't mind the Burnham/Tyler romance any more than I minded Anakin/Padmé. :cool:

JoeP and PiotrB like this.