General Computer Thread

The prices have come down hard, and people are looking at larger monitors as the norm now.

I know. It's been something that I have been thinking about for a few months now. Was looking at one of the retailers here (as I have a voucher with them), so that would cut my cost down. Unless I buy something else (like other stuff that I need)

My new computer was delivered today, got a deal in the Black Friday sales. Lenovo Ideapad Slim 3i. I am not a techie, so hope its a good peice of equipment

I am on my 4th laptop since 1999 lol

Curious if anyone knows a good package that can read disk info. I have some dvds I played that have UK region 2 on the box but they play fine on the PC in a drive that is not set for the UK so I want to read the disk info of the dvd to see if it's actually multi region which by the look of it it is since it plays fine.

I’ve just restarted my Windows 10 Pro PC to apply a Windows update and it’s been stuck on “configuring windows updates. 100% don’t turn off your pc” for almost 40 minutes now. A pop up appeared I’ve never seen before with the error for sihost.exe “the system detected an overrun of the stack based buffer on this application”. There was an option to click on a close button but I don’t have mouse movement and when I pressed alt-tab the pop up didn’t close and is now behind the configuring windows updates where I can’t get to it. I suspect it will stay on the same screen until I close the pop up box or the only alternative is to do a hard reboot and pray it boots to the desktop. I can now move the mouse cursor but all I can see is the configuring windows updates screen so it’s not even got to the boot up stage yet. I know updates can take a while to install but I have a sinking feeling something has gone wrong with the OS. Help! How much longer should I wait before I bite the bullet and do a hard reboot?

Edit: Looks like I overreacted a tad there. It rebooted to the desktop and Windows is showing as up to date with the last update being installed today (KB5033372) None of my computers have got stuck on a Windows update before so I panicked.

Last edited:
^^ Some updates just do that, my dad's laptop has needed the good old hold-the-off-switch-4-seconds-and-shut-down and then restart the machine again as well..
My only windows 10 machine so far hasn't shown that issue yet.

Looks like I overreacted a tad there. It rebooted to the desktop and Windows is showing as up to date with the last update being installed today (KB5033372) None of my computers have got stuck on a Windows update before so I panicked.
I had a Windows 10 update at work before the pandemic, probably early '19. Unlike most of my coworkers, I'd install them right away when they were pushed out by IT. Just restart the computer, let it install, get it out of the way, go on with my day.

It took about 90 minutes, which sucked because I was on deadline and had stuff to do. And, it borked my ability to print to the copiers in the copy room. We had printers in the copy room, but IT took them away and said, "Just print to the copiers." Try to print to the copier, and my computer would lock up and I'd have to contact IT from my phone to have them kill it. (This would not be unique to me.) IT's advice? Don't print to the copy machines anymore.

Gotta love tech. :)

I had a Windows 10 update at work before the pandemic, probably early '19. Unlike most of my coworkers, I'd install them right away when they were pushed out by IT. Just restart the computer, let it install, get it out of the way, go on with my day.

It took about 90 minutes, which sucked because I was on deadline and had stuff to do. And, it borked my ability to print to the copiers in the copy room. We had printers in the copy room, but IT took them away and said, "Just print to the copiers." Try to print to the copier, and my computer would lock up and I'd have to contact IT from my phone to have them kill it. (This would not be unique to me.) IT's advice? Don't print to the copy machines anymore.

Gotta love tech. :)

Something similar happened to me when my hard drive died and I was trying to use the product key on the PC to install an OS on a new SSD. I had an internet connection at home but for reasons I can't remember I could only download the file from work on their network which needed elevated privileges. I worked on the IT service desk which was next to the internal IT team so I knew them one guy said it wasn't a problem for him to log in on my machine with his admin password, download the package to my USB stick and then log off and job done. It took the best part of an hour and he couldn't leave his admin account with me so we spent the whole time chatting on the phone and sharing a bit of corporate gossip while both looking at a very slow moving progress bar. I was in the office and he was working from home. It did the trick though and with the USB stick I was able to transfer the product key to a new SSD and get my computer up and running again. The only cost besides the SSD was the cost of the USB stick. I love it when I can fix something without overspending.

There is a good reason why sysadmins hate printers with a passion (and in recent times, HP is topping the burn in hell categories) and that doesn't matter if they're small desktop units or the big MFPs.

So, I have kind of an oddball question. Yesterday I did a routine update for my OS (I'm on an M2 MacBook Air) and browser (Safari). I've generally never had a major issue with such updates before, and I've done a number of basic ones for the year or so I've had this computer.

But I have noticed in the past day or so that Safari seems to have periods of strange lag that I've never seen before, and I can't tell if it's more of an issue with those websites or if it's something with Safari. For example, I've noted here when I've typed a post and gone to open the box with the smilies, it loads about half the speed it normally would. I've only noticed it on a few websites and then not that consistently.

And I've observed that Google seemed to be slow to load images yesterday, though it's much better today, but earlier I noticed the text would disappear if I tried to search:

zWe7cNU.png

The text function still would work, so if I typed in "Godzilla Minus One" I could still get results. I just couldn't see any text or suggestions for some reason. Clearing the cache/cookies seems to clear the problem, but after a while I seem to notice it again. Normally it's common for me to not have any issues even if I've been on the computer for a few hours.

Any advice? I've used Safari for years without encountering this specific problem and I know Google has always been a bit weird since I got this MacBook and I think it's on their end. Sometimes if I'm looking at results, like images, it won't load anything for a bit. :lol: But that's something I've only ever observed with Google and no other website on my current system.

Any advice? Eh switch to Linux? :p;):whistle:

No idea why that (cr)apple product is acting up besides that it's apple.. would try a banana instead or a peach.. :p

In all seriousness, eh.. updates = bugs out, bugs in, might be that they borked up that update, you know, end of the year, lots of eggnog and other booze or the usual winter depression causing that sort of thing..

Eh, could be. I really hope the updates weren't bugged since I rarely have such problems. But I can see them drinking too much eggnog. :lol:

I suppose I could use Chrome more often, but I'm somewhat wary of giving more info to Google. :D

^^switching to chrome or any other browser might not work since everyone is forced to use the underlying render engine so no matter what other browser you'll get it will just be a shell on top of Apple's tech.

Sometimes I think Google will give us all implants for directly accessing the Interwebs someday, if the AIs don't destroy us first. :borg: ;) And the Interwebs will be filled with silly cats. :biggrin:

ETA:

So I was talking with a friend, and he suggested updating the OS to the most modern version (currently Sonoma 14.2). I'm using Monterey 12.7.2 because I've had this MB for a little over a year and it's the OS that came with it, and which Apple is still updating. I'm admitted an old fart in ways. :lol:

But my main concern is, in looking into that option, I've seen a number of reports on the Apple forums where people have had issues upgrading to Sonoma. Any advice on that path? One reason I tend to be wary of doing that sort of upgrade (especially when I've had the computer a relatively short time) is that I don't want it to get borked if the OS upgrade doesn't install correctly.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think Google will give us all implants for directly accessing the Interwebs someday, if the AIs don't destroy us first. :borg: ;) And the Interwebs will be filled with silly cats. :biggrin:

No not google but that's what Elon wants to do with Neuralink

Doing some computer archaeology, I have a soon to be vacant InWin A500 casing, it's at the moment housing a malfunctioning Pentium II, the casing is ATX, I have a caseless 386 machine which will fit the ATX casing, I've done it before, I have a ATX Aopen HX-45 which is the home of a original IBM AT.
So the ATX powerbutton can be replaced by an AT switch, the InWIn A500 casing is so old that they prepared the mounting holes etc for it, so the only little thing to fix is to decide what powersuply I can use...
I have 3 AT powersuplies, one is my regular fan, CD-ROM, HDD etc tester, it works, even the fan is in good shape, so that's the easy one.. powersuply Nr2 is a Taiwanese built "Treetop" 200 watt standard Pentium era PSU, it has no fan though, it is a well built PSU, did surprise me, all caps are high quality ones, problem is that I can't see where the fan is usually connected to, I did see a connector of somekind though so that might be it.
The last one is also a Taiwanese PSU, a Jabert 200 watt PSU, opened it up, it's well built and has Rubycon capacitors, even the bulk caps are made by Rubycon, having that brand of caps usually means that the PSU is made to a high standard.
It did have a weird problem, the AT switch is a real physical switch it's not connected to a mainboard but to the powersuply, it is a real powerswitch, it has 4 wires connected to it, black, blue, white and brown, on the PSU there's a schematic printed, it was wired wrong, that's ultra weird..
I got the two powersuplies as a gift from a colleague about 20 years ago, I have never used either of them, I have reconnected the switch according to the schematic so cross fingers, I'll try both of them when I have the time this week.. :biggrin:

There comes a time when an old girl must be put to pasture. When you see her struggling up a hill, struggle to do mundane everyday tasks. There are no two ways about it, the old girl is... old.

Well, after having the same computer since 2012, with a few minor upgrades here and there, such as a new video card, I've finally bit the bullet on a new computer. I had really been feeling the bottleneck of being limited to 8GB of Ram. Eventually enough was enough. While I'm not the kind of guy to be building my own, I'm not the store-bought kind of guy either. And I didn't want to order a custom build online that I'd have to send away for repairs if needed. I ended up finding a local guy who builds custom gaming PCs.

For comparisons sake, here's my current PC:
intel DH55PJ, intel i5 660, 8GB RAM, Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti, 1 TB HDD partitioned into two 500GB partitions.

My new one is a beast compared to what I've had:
Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1660Ti, Default 16GB Ram (Upgraded to 32GB), Default 500GB M.2 SSD (Way too small for my needs, so upgraded to 2 1TB SSDs. 2 WD Black 1TB NVMe drives, in fact.)

It was time. As if for a last hurrah, my current PC has decided to mess up a Windows Security Update.

Boot windows off the old girl and install Linux on it, it will do wonders for it's speed and capabilities and then use it as a backup machine.:mallory:

Congrats on the new one, those Ryzen chips are great.

Horizontal pc cases are very hard to find. Lots in micro ATX and mini ATX but not much of anything for full sized boards. I'm looking at local retailers and not interstate though, it's time for my old girl to shed her old case and get a new home

Back