Spoilers Game of Thrones: The Final Season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone should do a music video of it to, "Ring my Bell" or the Neverending Story theme.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a similar reaction to deliberately taking out the people of the city. Up until that point, I thought the concern for the civilian population had been as collateral damage. I expected her to go straight for the Keep and have a showdown with Cersei. The show completely undercut my expectations there.

As others have said, she is sending a clear message to the rest of Westeros that there are no weapons or castles that can stop her. People have obviously forgotten about Harrenhal. Now, she probably expects the rest of the continent to bend the knee.

Her actions were beyond what most supervillains in the comics would do. It would be like Doctor Doom wiping New York off the map.

3. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just when I thought this series couldn't get any worse. Hopefully Dany gets put to the sword next week and Drogon gets a scorpion arrow to the face.

4. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I rewatched the episode. Liked it a lot more this time, especially having a different perspective with regard to Arya.

Director Miguel Spochnik (who previously did "Hardhome", "Battle of the Bastards" and "The Long Night") delivered another spectacular action packed episode. especially impressive was the fight between the hound and the mountain on the steps of a crumbling building with a fiery dragon flying by in the background.

Dany was stupid. For her revenge all she had to do was the burn the red keep.

If the events were not foreshadowed enough already they were pretty much telegraphed by the words that were included at the end of the "Perviously on GoT" segment:
    Cersei: Every time a Targareyn is born the gods flip a coin
    Barristan: The mad king gave his enemies the justice he thought they deserved
    Tyrion: Children are not their fathers
    Olenna: Be a dragon
    Aemon: A Targareyn alone in the world is a terrible thing
    Viserys: You don’t want to wake the dragon, do you?

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    The Nth Doctor and EmoBorg like this.
  5. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

After having had some time to process...

I think they've gone too far with Dany. I just don't buy that she would go bat-shit crazy like that and murder so many innocent people.

6. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. She and Jaime feel off the rails.

7. Cyrus

Arya still has to kill someone with green eyes, and Cersei is no longer available. Dany, you are on the list.

Serial thread killer and EmoBorg like this.
  8. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am just curious, have you ever come to a correct conclusion about anything in your entire life?

9. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Think of it this way. She went bat shit crazy for like 15 minutes in the middle of a battle with no one around to calm her down. And, she was riding a WMD at the time. Bad stuff is going to happen. And, seeing the destruction probably pumped her up even more.

It wasn't premeditated. And, when most people freak out for a bit, they don't have a WMD with them! Plus, she was in a bad state of mind and with those family tendencies. It really all fits together.

Is it really any different than those who do school shootings? Not really. She just had a bigger weapon and was out of range of others to retaliate.

The Nth Doctor and Miss Chicken like this.
  10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, I pointed this out earlier. Green eyes is next!

11. crookeddy

It was premeditated. She said so to Jon, he just didn't get it.

12. Cyrus

13. crookeddy

You have some nerve coming in here pontificating after the shit that has recently transpired here. Most people would stay away in shame.

14. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I get what you're saying. However, I still believe it would have remained in character for her to "snap" and take out The Red Keep only (which would have still incurred collateral damage). It's the fact she intentionally targeted civilians in what amounts to a terror attack and murdered thousands in cold blood. She wanted fear, and by god she'll have all of Westeros terrified now.

I guess it works if we are accepting the logic that she really has gone "mad". Has the unhinged Dany always been on the verge of breaking out? And with no one to reign her in or keep her within the boundaries of sanity, she lets loose. The question is, does this logic work within the context of the series?

15. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I get what they are doing and it has been coming for years.........the thing is with only 6 episodes in this season it happened too quickly. I do not know why they decided to go with 6 instead of 8 or even 10 with the amount of things they had to cover, but that's what happened. AND when they decided to finally make her break, they had to make it irredeemable so that when someone kills her crazy ass next week, it seems just and righteous. I still enjoy the show, but after episode 3 there was just too much stuff to wrap up in 3 episodes.........and way too quick to turn everyone's darling into the Mad Queen burning children in the streets. Should have sewn a few more Evil Dany breadcrumbs last season.......IMHO.

Edit to add: I also thought it wasn't a good use of Jon just having him run around looking confused like he was just thinking "HOLY SHIT".......I was hoping he'd at least take out Greyworm for disobeying his commands and to try to restore HIS authority. I did really enjoy the Arya/Hound moment.....best part of this week for me.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    LaxScrutiny and Cyrus like this.
  16. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I wonder if there is any chance that Bronn will kill Daenerys with his crossbow? Or maybe kill Grey Worm allowing either Arya or Jon to kill Daenerys? I guess whoever it is they will also have to get past the Unsullied and the Dothraki as well.

I think Daenerys will probably try to get loyalty from Edmure Tully and Robin Arryn and I guess both of them might bend the knee very quickly. Not sure if we will see the Prince of Dorne, or if we will see Yara Greyjoy again.

KennyB likes this.
  17. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

The lords of the regions of the Seven Kingdoms

The Riverlands : Edmure Tully

Dorne : some prince, maybe Darkstar from the books ?

The Iron Islands : Yara Greyjoy

The Westerlands : Tyrion Lannister

The Reach : Bronn ? Or perhaps maybe Samwell

The Vale : Robin Arynn

The Stormlands : Gendry Baratheon

The North : Sansa Stark

18. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

It is probably a good thing that Winterfell has CCTV coverage via Bran. At least they will have a bit of warning that Daenerys is on her way.

19. Cyrus

One reviewer called the unmasked Mountain "Darth Vader on steroids":lol: It did look like the unmasked Vader in RotJ.

20. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This episode was kind of a better version of Anakin turning to the Dark Side. Here is someone that we the audience grew to like, but when you think about it, everything she did was in place, from even her reaction to her brother being killed in front of her. When Dany views you as an enemy, she is like a Cobra Kai--and shows no mercy.

I didn't expect Cersei to die in this episode, but it was clear that during the episode, it was going to happen, and once I saw it coming, it also made sense.

No one expected Cersei to survive the series, the show tends to have some major deaths in the second to last episode of every season, and this all but assures they don't pull a Smallville and we get to see some aftermath.

Dany has proven herself to be no better than Cersei. She just had a better weapon.

The question now becomes--will Jon press his claim to the throne? Or will someone else take over?

I hope Sansa doesn't end up on the Iron Throne. I don't feel like she inspires the way Jon does. That said, she does have wisdom enough to counsel Jon.

Jon has the heart to rule, but he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But maybe Jon, with Tyrion and Sansa at his side, would make a good king.

publiusr and Jax like this.