Spoilers Game of Thrones: The Final Season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

The whimsical, romantic dragon journey through the mountains Queen D and Jon had made me think one of them is definitely going to die

People in Game of Thrones can't have nice things

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

The battle of Winterfell is supposed to happen in episode 3. It is supposed to be the biggest battle ever done on TV or movies. They reportedly spent 55 nights filming it. It is directed by the same guy who did "Battle of the bastards" who knows how to stage big fight scenes.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    EmoBorg and KennyB like this.
  3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given this final Season is only 6 episodes total, that makes sense. 3&4 the actual battle; 5&6 the aftermath/wrap up of the series (since they've already gone past what was written in the novels to this point. ;))

Cyrus likes this.
  4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

That was Sam's interpretation, which Jon neither confirmed nor denied.

And Sam was rather emotionally compromised, so we can't rely strictly on what he believed to be the case.

5. Cyrus

seems like Jaime is on some kind of trial. For killing Dany’s father, (probably) for crippling Bran and maybe sins of his sister

6. DigificWriter

I don't think its a formal trial.

What is more likely, IMO, is this: its an accusatory "first audience" that will ultimately result in Jaime being (begrudungly) accepted as an ally (temporarily).

EmoBorg likes this.
  7. Cyrus

I believe the last 4 episodes are one hour and twenty minutes each.

8. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

The episodes’ lengths according to HBO

1) 54 minutes
    2) 58 minutes
    3) 82 minutes
    4) 78 minutes
    5) 80 minutes
    6) 80 minutes

The Nth Doctor and 137th Gebirg like this.
  9. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

We saw Jamie and Brienne fighting side by side in the trailer. So, Ser Jamie will live.

I do wonder if Tyrion, Varys, Brienne or even Bran will act as character witnesses for Jamie as he faces down the dragon queen.

10. DigificWriter

Which means that Episodes 2-5's 'advertised' runtimes will probably be closer to between 72 to 94 minutes.

11. Cyrus

I agree. It is a trial setting for people to air their grievances against him and hearing his side of story

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

The pattern on the wall was the same pattern with the bodies at the very beginning.

It means something to them, but don't know what. Circular, so maybe cycles. Like seasonal? Or, does it represent the North Pole. No idea! Undoubtedly is important though.

KennyB likes this.
  13. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I should think there will be an infodump on the background of the conflict, and what the Night King's motivation and ultimate goal is, and I hope it's not just "welp, let's kill everything!"

14. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if at some point Jaime will have to take on the "Kingslayer" role again... except this time, as "Queenslayer?" We've already seen he's not too happy with some of the things Cersei is doing.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The live TV rating for Season 8 is slightly down at a still unbelievable 11.8 million. The finale for 7 had 12.07. If all platforms are taken into account, season 8 does set a series record, proving what we already know - more and more people are using alternate means to watch TV these days.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I loved all the parallels between King Robert's arrival at Winterfell in Season One and Daenarys' arrival here. They used the same music and had a Bran-like kid running and climbing around. Arya and Jon hugged each other the same (and revisited their conversation about Needle). Arya and Gendry touched on their "M'lady" conversation from Season Two, but now with vastly different experiences behind them.

There was a lot of great humor. Tyrion and Varys eunuch conversation in the carriage, Tormund's "I've always had blue eyes" response, Jon's shaky first dragon flight (which was awesome) on his father's namesake, Drogon chaperoning the two of them like he almost knows they're related (I think he's just being protective of his mama), and the old man conversation between Tyrion, Varys, and Davos.

Sam seemed to handle his dad's death pretty well (understandably), but finding out about extra crispy Dickon really pushed him over the edge. Great acting there in a really sad scene. I guess no one ever told Ser Jorah that the Tarly's got BBQ'd when the story of how Sam healed him first came up, or he never mentioned Sam's last name. Regardless, a little lack of conversation gave us a great scene, so it was worth it.

I loved the new opening sequence with the extra panels about the Red Wedding and the Dragons and so forth and the fact that they go inside the clockwork castles now that we're really only focusing on Winterfell and King's Landing this season.

The large scale mockup of Winterfell they built for the final battle looks magnificent, and it was cool that they could pull back to give us a full live-action view of the entire perimeter from above for the first time.

The Umber kid tacked on the wall was creepy as hell, as was that whole sequence.

I was hoping we'd get a confrontation or reconciliation between Lyanna Mormont and Ser Jorah, but perhaps we still will. Her position was totally understandable, but I was bummed to see her angry at Jon, though at least she showed up unlike that treasonous shitheel Lord Glover.

Bran telling Sam he was "waiting for an old friend" and then having that staredown when Jaime arrived was so powerful without a word needing to be said. I wanted to see the next episode right away after that. Great stuff.

Arya looks to be having Gendry make her a dragonglass spear to give herself a lightweight ranged attack with a detachable fighting stick. Seems like a complementary weapon to her Valyrian steel dagger, which can also take out the White Walkers/Wights.
    [​IMG]

This was mostly a set-up episode for the rest of the season, but it was a damn good one.

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Not only that, but I'll be surprised if Bran doesn't act as a character witness, to the shock of everyone in the North.

I believe the patterns are from the Children of the Forest.

I would be surprised if we didn't get such an infodump. The real question is how detailed will it be and how well will it align with Martin's vision, both the books so far and what he has planned for the final two.

I and others have been postulating that one for awhile. I really do hope we'll get that circular narrative from him killing his sister.

Thank you for getting that screen capture. I kept meaning to do that myself to get a closer look at what she wanted. I think you're on the right track with your theory.

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  18. Cyrus

I think next episode will be a set-up episode too (with more reunions mostly invoving jaime) before the blank hits the fan.

19. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Hurry up next week.

Loved it. Things are far from rosy between Daenarys and her new northern allies. I found it intriguing how Daenarys was framed in this episode from the perspective of Sansa and Sam. She really isn't a good fit for the North. Throughout the series Daenarys has never questioned her supposedly divine right to rule the Seven Kingdoms, but do the Seven Kingdoms want her? I felt uneasy when she told Jon her and Sansa don't need to be friends but "I am her Queen".

I really don't know how it's going to play about between Jon and Daenarys, now that he knows his true heritage. I suspect the tension and conflict among the characters is going to go mostly unresolved and have to be put to the side when the shit completely hits the fan in episode 3.

KennyB and The Nth Doctor like this.
  20. Cyrus

That makes sense. Jaime has been redeemed and Bran knows everything.

KennyB and The Nth Doctor like this.