Spoilers Game of Thrones: The Final Season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 1, 2018.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Lena Headey says she shot a scene in season seven where Cersei had a miscarriage, but the scene was left unused.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The linked EW article calls it "untitled".

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

Either gestation periods for humans on Planetos are several years or the secret teleport systems and hidden ship hydrofoils were well in use in seasons 7 and 8.

5. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably not now that episode 3 of season 8 had that title.

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Long Night isn't an official title. It's just what George Martin has been calling it.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Out on December 3
    http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/062619-1045

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  8. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

@ $250 USD, It better be awesome

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  9. The Nth Doctor

Damn, that's bloody gorgeous. $250 might be a bit much but it's cheaper than I expected considering the box set design and all of the bonus content. I might just get it...

10. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Nope, they ruined it for me.

Teelie likes this.
  11. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

That's how I feel about it. A few episodes here and there? I can live with it. But the entire last season felt like a rushed mess with an anticlimatic and poorly executed ending.

12. The Nth Doctor

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Watching episode 2.

Ned’s last words to Jon: “The next tine we see each other, we’ll talk about your mother. I promise.”

That scene...sounds very different now.

I’ll never understand the people who say an entire series is ruined by a disappointing ending. Long running series are about the journey.

14. Turtletrekker

There has been many a story that has had a gripping beginning and middle and a disappointing ending that I consider to be terrible throughout retroactively. That said, Game of Thrones is not one of them. The hate piled on the final season is a tad overstated. Season 8 wasn't as good as the previous seasons, but still better than most television out there.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Masiral, crookeddy, Teelie and 4 others like this.
  15. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see why a disappointing ending (for an episode, season, or series) can ruin the whole thing for some people. But I was not disappointed by how GoT ended. It actually had a happier ending than I expected. It ended good for the good guys (Starks & Tyrion, never considered Dany as one of them).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I guess I don't see how anyone who has loved watching a show for years and years can suddenly say all those episodes they enjoyed all that time are suddenly trash just because the last couple were.

Maybe if it's a relatively shorter show that's all about investigating a single question, and that question ends up having a stupid answer. But a long running show? Are people really watching a show that lasts 6, 8, 10 seasons not enjoying a second of it, except to speculate how it all ends up?

If Breaking Bad ended up having a bad last season, would it really have made the Fring ending any less awesome? Do people really think that way, that the only thing that matters about a TV show is the end state of all the characters?

137th Gebirg and The Nth Doctor like this.
  17. The Nth Doctor

Hell, I still argue the final season and the finale aren't bad, but I agree with your larger point.

A good example: I think Battlestar Galactica is a good to excellent show until its final season (I further argue it should've ended at the midpoint on the real Earth). But because it didn't stick the landing doesn't mean I think what it did before wasn't incredible.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. Turtletrekker

And I have no desire to ever watch new Battlestar Galactica ever again because of the ending.

Reverend likes this.
  19. crookeddy

crookeddy Commodore Commodore

This is a more reasonable place than most on the internet, that's why we are seeing a more reasonable response that most places. The final episode is one of the lowest rated pieces of television in history - that's utter nonsense. Objectively, it was still better than most things on TV.

I think some people freaked out because they were watching the show as a sport, and cheering on their favorite "team". When the ending wasn't one of their favorites at all they freaked out.

20. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm definitely in the "the shitty ending kinda spoiled the whole thing" mindset, at least right now.
    I have actually tried rewatching BSG twice over the years, but never got past season 2 again, so perhaps that will be the case with GoT too.

For me, the final conclusion (i.e. the state of the world & the characters) isn't as important as the execution. I can deal with a bleak, sad ending where everyone is either dead or miserable so long as it's well executed and well earned. A *good story*. Conversely, I don't care how happy an ending is, or if my favourite characters survived if the execution is poor.
    As story after all is about the journey, not the destination and the last leg of such a journey is meant to sum up what the story tellers feel is the most important take-away, the core themes and central message of the whole thing. If they can't do that as well or better than everything else prior to that, then the exercise is IMO rendered essentially pointless. In the case of GoT, it's clear the storytellers just wanted to get it over with as soon as possible and were willing to drastically shortcut or even discard character arcs, throw basic logic out the window and just run down a checklist of what they think would look cool and dramatic, regardless of context.

The gamers here may also recall a little gave from a while back call 'Mass Effect 3' which did very much the same thing as both GoT & BSG. Strong start, excellent middle...and dashed through the finale in a dead run, ignoring most of what was built prior as if getting to the point where the credits roll is that part everyone was looking forward to.

It doesn't erase all of the good story telling done prior, but it can't help but taint the experience somewhat. And it certainly doesn't engender any trust is said storytellers for whatever long term project they choose next.

Turtletrekker likes this.