Spoilers Game of Thrones: The Final Season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It was the son who would mount the world that would have been the worst.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Is it true there's a petition to re-shoot season 8? It keeps coming up on Facebook.

The problem with season 8 I think isn't what happened, so much as they had so little time with so much stuff to do they didn't have time to earn some of the things that happened.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep there is. https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

I agree with you there on that. Having some build up to the events probably could have helped.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

900,000+ clowns signed this petition.

Gary7 and Booji like this.
  6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Meh. Online petitions are as useful as a feather knocking over an elephant. It's kind of sad how adamant some of these people are about hating this season. It's a television show. Get over it. There are far worse things going on in this world and in this country right now than Game of Thrones not ending the way you want. :rolleyes:

Asbo Zaprudder, Mr Awe and Booji like this.
  7. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Each of the 900,000 people who've signed this petition should donate $100 to the cause. Then, they can democratically elect some producers, directors, writers, cast, production crews and a VFX company. Have at it! Let's see if everyone's happy then. :D

Wouldn't Game of Thrones not ending the way you want be quintessential Game of Thrones?

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

THIS is the sort of shit people try and get changed. What is wrong with people?

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

We should start a fake Kickstarter to do it then give the money to Doctors Without Borders.

10. Reyman

Reyman Commander Red Shirt

Interesting views from the cast on season 8..

11. StarMan

Well, Dinklage wasn't wrong. The IMDB zoom in was a bit laboured (we get it).

12. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Build up to the events? The entire first seven seasons were the build up! Remember "Winter is coming" and all that. Season 8 is: (a) final battle against the Night King, and (b) final battle for the Iron Throne. It's been perfectly clear what S8 would bring us. It seems short only because there are only six episodes, but mind you each is 1h 20m.

Cyrus likes this.
  13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

But the pace shifted significantly after season 6. I am enjoying the show, but I think that 10 seasons would really have made all the difference in terms of where the story was going and where it went in season 7 and 8. And, yes, I understand why this didn't happen.

Shaka and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a prediction for the finale: there will be something about the white walkers in it. The very first scene of the series was about the white walkers. So the last scene could be about them too. Maybe a new Night King being created. There is some speculation that Dany becomes the Night Queen but I don't expect that.

The Nth Doctor and StarMan like this.
  15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Westeros is supposedly about the size of South America - about 8,000 km long and 5,000 km wide. For the past couple of seasons, I keep thinking that the characters have been magically teleporting all over the damn place and that the ships have hidden hydrofoils.

publiusr and Forbin like this.
  16. theenglish

The Others are a force of nature. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't continue to exist. The Night King is in the series only (at this point) but should abide by the same expectation.

17. theenglish

Part of that is because of the way the show has been edited. Early seasons made very clear in dialogue how much time it took something to happen. For example, a month on the King's Road. The passage of time was a point of the story. Beginning in Season 6, I think, this was abandoned and stories that should be taking place at different times appeared to be taking place at the same time.

Gary7 likes this.
  18. Asbo Zaprudder

In the real world's medieval period, it took many months for Crusader forces from western Europe to reach only as far as Palestine (say 2,500 to 3,500 km). Immense logistical support was required. Usually, conflict was between neighbouring countries. The Mongols would also require many years on campaign and they reached the farthest. Logistics wasn't a problem for them of course - they just took what they wanted.

Gary7 likes this.
  19. StarMan

Well that's the other thing. What about the gods? Davos posed the question to Tyrion in E4. Now what? The force behind The Night King still exists, I presume (I don't know enough about it in the books... connected to The Children Of The Forest and the Elder Gods - right?).

Then we have the red god / many-faced god. Bran is powered by The Elder Gods and Dany is powered by The Red God (I don't know how else to put it), which gave Dany her dragons and resurrected Jon.

Dany vs Bran?

20. Asbo Zaprudder

The TV series is just not as deep as the novels (so I'm informed). It's more about the tits and dragons and invoking a cheap emotional response from the viewer. It's a spectacle, certainly, but ultimately pretty vacuous - like a creaky ghost-train ride at a shabby fun fair.