Spoilers Game of Thrones: The Final Season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Much as I would wish otherwise, I doubt that the philosophical depth of the final episode is going to be anything except extremely shallow. GRRM should be extremely pissed off that the show runners have taken an enormous, smelly dump all over his legacy.

2. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

Never watched Game of Thrones, but I'm getting the impression from fans that this last season is like every episode being like These are the Voyages or Threshold.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Plus side, GRRM now has more interest in his books, as he’s got the chance to write a better ending. Or at least do the setup work such that there is appropriate payoff for the plot lines. Show kinda feels like they ran out of time and just had to check boxes, but forgot to build things up enough beforehand.

Dany going nuts this episode, while not out of character totally, was a bit too far, and felt like it was missing that PUSH that should have gotten her there. Everything went ok, then just randomly lost it. At that moment, needed one final act from the Red Keep to push her. A final scorpion shot, archers at the keep grazing her or Drogon, something. She sat there and watched her victory, sorta shrugged and said eff it, let’s burn this puppy down...

4. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Jamie is the stories heroin addict. No matter how hard he may try to get off the shit, he keeps going back... and it killed him.

Jax likes this.
  5. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

No

6. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

More like the downward spiral we saw True Blood, Lost, Dexter, Heroes and BSG take in the middle of their runs on TV. It's obvious the writers stopped caring a long time ago and everything has just been downhill since then.

Thinking about it now, I can say season 8 is the worst season. The show stopped being great in season 4. When GRRM was still a producer on the show and D&D were adapting the best book (Storm of Sword- Book 3).

Ranking the seasons:
    8. Season 8 - Awful
    7. Season 7 - Too many dumb things
    6. Season 5 - Betrayal Portrayal for Dorne, Stannis, Sansa and Cersei
    5. Season 6 - Not good but not terrible either
    4. Season 1 - A good introduction to this hard world
    3. Season 2 - Scramble For the Throne
    2. Season 3 - Red Wedding/Beheading - Good guys lose
    1. Season 4 - Watchers on the Wall - Kings and Hands Fall

Cool video

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

8. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's more like the finale of Seinfeld - a genuinely good, albeit not perfect, episode that a lot of people hate because it says something about the characters they've come to love that is really unsettling.

BeatleJWOL, Masiral, Serveaux and 2 others like this.
  9. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the contrary, I'm more hyped for the final books than ever because I'm hoping that GRRM will stick the landing better, with the level of detail and time to breathe for the story that the show simply doesn't have time for (by the showrunners' own choice, of course).

I suspect that others feel the same way.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  10. Asbo Zaprudder

I still think a lot of people might be put off, having seen the series, assuming episode 8.6 doesn't resolve the problems. In any case, we might have to wait a decade before the final novel appears. Maybe people will have lost interest by then anyway.

11. eschaton

A lot less people are book fans than show fans, and many of the book fans began reading the series way before the show came out.

I have no doubt that GRRM will lose some readers as a result of how the show is ending, but he'll still be among the highest-grossing fantasy authors of all time.

12. Asbo Zaprudder

fewer

13. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Friend reminded me of a Prophecy scene back in that House of the Undead, when she saw a destroyed Kings Landing with ashes falling from the sky and then she was with drogo.

Those dam pesky Prophecies.

Starkers likes this.
  15. M.A.C.O.

Emilia knew!

Longinus likes this.
  16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Several cast members tried to warn us about how BS the ending was going to be, but things got "lost in translation".

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

First, congratulations on your sobriety. I know it’s hard work and will continue to be hard work.

But, for me, Jaime’s wasn’t one of addiction. Wasn’t of a man struggling with addiction. I don’t think that’s the story they were telling. YMMV, of course.

R and J isn’t the same story as Jaime and Cersei. We care because we see two kids stuck in an impossible situation, who in the end see only one way out. Suicide. Love doesn’t always win.

Jaime and Cersei weren’t doomed lovers. They were, after a certain point, on individual journeys.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

It's a pity the show runners wanted out more than HBO. I still think there's little reason they couldn't of fleshed out the season 7 & 8 to 10 episodes putting more build into Dany's turn that they had been building slowly for the previous 6 seasons. We could of seen an Iron Fleet rematch during the King's Landing battle and more internal politics being played out before the final encounter.

I also believe that even if S7 & S8 would of been extended to 10 episodes each, that the Dany turn could of been used to set up a final 9th season (maybe 5 episodes?). This could of seen The other Kingdoms in particular the North & Dorne combining forces in open rebellion against Dany. Hell I would of even left 2 Dragons alive so Jon and Dany had one each.

That's just fantasy spit balling, I'm enjoying GoT but certainly there was more to have if the show runners had wanted to do it.

19. M.A.C.O.

It seems to be the case, yeah...

I wonder if there is any validity to the talk of the show runners going to ground, (like Kathleen Kennedy after The Last Jedi) and are waiting for this to blow over. The knew they turned in a lemon and are getting the hell out of dodge. Like they did with their canned Confederate show.

20. eschaton

I broadly agree. However, in retrospect stunningly little that was important happened in Season 7 in general. It really felt like even though that was a short season, the show was spinning its wheels with pointless drama (like tensions between Sansa and Arya, or creating the stupid "wight hunt.") I actually wonder if they should have shuffled bits around a lot, basically finishing off the Night King in the penultimate episode of Season 7, then leaving season 8 open for the endgame for the throne.

Turtletrekker likes this.