Frame Of Mind

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by acappellasaurus, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I have to say a few too many fans are irked way too much by the infamous reset button. Get over it! -- RR

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

This was one of the first times that the "reset button" really ruined my enjoyment of an episode, years before I was familiar with that term via the Internet. It was then that I came to the realization that episodes were far less satisfying when, at the end, it was revealed that nothing you'd seen had really happened. "It was all a dream" was an awful storytelling cliche long before Trek fans started calling it the "reset button".

So it isn't really fair to be telling my 1994 self to "get over" something that was only just bothering me for the first time.

3. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    All is fair on the Internet, Old Mixer! All is fair! :lol: -- RR

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Does the "it's all a dream" thing really effect this episode? It's still a struggle Riker went through in his mind.

For me this is one of TNG's better episodes as it's just disturbing and unsettling enough. It has always given me that uneasy feeling of delirium. Like the kind of delirium you have when running a high fever.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I acknowledge that whenever I get around to revisiting Season 6 via DVD, I may find more of what you guys see in the episode. But not having seen it since '94 or so, I have only my memory to go on. Like Bacl, I would have been cooler with it if they'd actually been playing psychological mind games with him in the waking world. It felt like such a cheat that he was just lying on a table the whole time, and was none the worse for the wear afterwards.

6. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

It was one of my favorites the first time I saw it, but it doesn't really stand up to repeat viewings with me.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes: At "one of the few good episodes". There were literally DOZENS of episodes better than this one.

RAMA

8. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

Seriously. Each season has quite a few good episodes - even seasons 1 and 2.