Fox Developing "Gotham" Young Jim Gordon Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Truly one of the great injustices in the world.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

His comment is kind of ironic, because this actually looks a lot more comic booky and OTT than the Nolan movies. My biggest complaint about the Nolan movies was that went so realistic in how they approached Gotham. So far I am really liking the more stylistic approach they seem to be taking here.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

He does say it's a heightened reality. He's either using "comic book" to mean "cartoony" and/or as synonymous with costumed characters, something a lot of people still do. People who are steeped in comic books may prefer not to have the term used like that, but it's not a big deal.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It it was me, I'd introduce more than one potential Joker.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It was a reference to SHIELD no longer existing in the aftermath of The Winter Soldier. ;)

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

New trailer:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=islRZ_ygKk8[/yt]

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's kind of an awkward trailer. And if these guys are going to become "the worst villains around," but "it's up to us to stop them," doesn't that kind of give away that they won't stop them?

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, that was a weird trailer. The narration doesn't really make sense.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I can't figure out who "the business woman" is supposed to be. I got Catwoman and Penguin easy, but with her I'm drawing a blank...

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

She's a character created for the show named Fish Mooney, played by Jada Pinkett Smith.

11. sojourner

It's a character named Fish Mooney, I kid you not. Not sure if it's a newly made character for the show or someone from the comics after I stopped reading.

ETA: Ninja'd!

12. Christopher

Fish Mooney is the crime boss that Oswald Cobblepot (the future Penguin) works for. I'd imagine the "Fish" might be due to the "Penguin" connection. And I would conjecture that Cobblepot's arc through the series will be about rising through the ranks of Mooney's organization and eventually taking it over.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

OK...odd that they'd throw her in with the other two though, no? I thought the whole point of that trailer was to flag up the Muppet Babies of Batman's rogues gallery.

14. sojourner

Typical rule of three. Use two examples the audience knows then throw in a third example that's new.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

No, it's not odd. It's a spotlight on the main villains introduced in season one, and she's one of them. It would be odd not to include her.

16. Christopher

Right. Just because the show is inspired by Batman, that doesn't mean it's aimed solely at Batman fans. It's meant to be accessible to a more general audience that watches it only in terms of the show itself, with the comics references being subtler easter eggs woven into a mostly standalone crime narrative. Mooney is the dominant crime boss of Gotham City at the time the series is set, so of course she's going to be heavily featured.

After all, this is a prequel. Of course the main bad guys aren't going to be the Penguin and the Joker and the Riddler and Catwoman -- those people are still in their formative years, still going through the processes that will shape them into the characters we know, just as Lt. Jim Gordon and preteen Bruce Wayne are. So naturally the main forces of crime in the city are going to be different people than the ones we know. Frank Miller did no less in Batman: Year One when he introduced a bunch of characters we'd never seen before, characters who would eventually be replaced in the police, the government, and the criminal sphere by the characters we know from the "present day" series. So did Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It shouldn't really be that surprising.

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting, though perhaps not surprising: the "Viewer Discretion Advised" tag at the close of this particular advert.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see that trailer potentially perking interest in viewers who might not be that interested in a "Batman show".

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fox does that for pretty much anything above TV-G. It really doesn't mean much if it's attached to a network show.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

EW has new character posters here with brief descriptions of each character. Poison Ivy's real name is revealed to be Ivy Pepper in this version of the character rather than Pamela Isley.