Forget Cockroaches as the most resilient lifeforms on this planet

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Timelord Victorious, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I remember reading about these when I was a kid. Fascinating little buggers. It's overly anthropocentric to claim humans are the "dominant" species on this planet, when we've got creatures like this living everywhere, who are a lot hardier than we are. I remember being amazed at how they could survive so long without water, and such extreme temperatures.

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I know some of the people who worked for this experiment. They launched a few tardigrades in space and tested their resistance to such extreme conditions. It was pretty neat.

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Tardigrades! I'm familiar with them; it's nice to see them getting some love.

Actually, that whole sentence works out wrong. :lol:

What I mean is, tardigrades are fascinating lifeforms that I'm always glad to see getting the attention they deserve. :)

5. ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor Lieutenant Red Shirt

Apollo 12 brought back the Surveyor 3 camera (robotic probe). Inside, scientists found bacteria that had survived 3 YEARS in the airless vacuum on the Moon.

Gives credence to the fact that life could spread in meteorites.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm fairly sure we've known about resilient bacteria and microbiological life that can live in the harshness of space for quite some time now.