Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Around January of this year, they opened a Planet Fitness in a nearby shopping center. Now, going to Powerhouse, me and my gym buddies would always make fun of Planet Fitness and their Lunk Alarm and light dumb bells. Well, I decided to give it a try. The dumb bells actually go up to 75 lbs and they have four Smith machines (Powerhouse only has one, and there's usually a queue waiting to use it). They have all kinds of machines that hit every conceivable body part. Some of these machines go up to 300+ lbs. Needless to say I was SORE! But I enrolled and got their Black Card, so I burn up the HydroMassage bed after my workouts. I was well on my way, losing more and more weight.

Then..... Covid hit. The gym shut down March 18. So, I was out of work and out of a job. I basically sat around the house depressed for two weeks. Then, I started going for walks around the local park, doing 3-5 miles every day it wasn't raining (which wasn't often. Apparently Covid corresponded with our monsoon season :rolleyes: ) I must have put on 20+ lbs, because my work clothes were tight as fuck when work reopened on May 26.

Planet Fitness reopened on June 1, and since then I've been back to hitting it five times a week. I'm rearranged my workouts so I do chest/arms on Monday/Friday, legs on Tuesday/Thursday, and shoulders on Wednesday, hitting random accessories or whatever feels good during a random workout. I developed a shoulder pain in my left shoulder during quarantine, but I think I'm finally about over it. People have been complimenting me on my ass since hitting legs twice a week. I've always had a bigger ass, but a coworker smacked it the other day and it sounded like Indiana Jones' whip :lol: I've also been dropping weight, at least down to or under my pre-quarantine weight, because the same clothes that were tight as fuck when I got back to work are now loose as fuck :)

arch101, StarCruiser and KimMH like this.
  2. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Started the Keto diet two weeks ago. Zero change in weight so far but complete loss of energy- really forcing myself to do weights (bike is easier- just sit on it and put YT on the pad).

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I finally got an expensive membership in a nice gym so I could just go to the pool and not compete for reserved spaces 12:01 three days in advance.

KimMH likes this.
  4. Dr. Spock Jenkins

Dr. Spock Jenkins Ensign Newbie

I've backslid a little but I'm down 40 lbs from last year.

Bought a recumbent stationary bike during the pandemic for home workouts, basically I watch TV for an hour or two a few times a week while cycling. Also try to drink a gallon of water a day.

Also cooking more so I try to only have frozen or fresh vegetables, marinated lean meat and some form of sauce or seasoning for flavor for meals. Sugar free or diet drinks like tea or calorie free water enhancers also help.

Goal is to lose 90 lbs and be in the best shape of my life, but it's great to have all the health benefits along the way.

StarCruiser and KimMH like this.
  5. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Definitely on the right course!

Steady as she goes.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I started back with a coach for Ironman training again and this is benchmark testing week.

What that basically means is I’m running a race every day this week so he can calibrate his metrics.

200m, 400m and 1000m best effort swimming
    20 mins, 5 mins, 1 min and 10 seconds heat effort biking
    5km, 10km best effort running

Normally you don’t go all out race effort during training, this is completely exhausting doing all of them back to back.

7. arch101

Now on a modified diet - not full Keto but very low carb and sugars. Still allow occasional pasta or bread stuffs. Seems to work better for a stocky 6'-1" male who lifts. My cardiologist told me to stop weighing myself every day and fretting about it. His opinion was, unless you're really flabby, that if your cholesterol numbers were good and you were lifting and exercising, that one should not pay attention to weight. He said that, at 52, putting on muscle and getting calcium was more important than being skinny as this is the age where people start to lose muscle mass and bone density. I actually feel terrific and haven't had this much muscle on me in 15 years. But, I know I'm dense and heavy.

8. StarCruiser

"Dense"... that depends on interpretation!

"Heavy" is ... cool, right?

Seriously, if you feel good and your doctor thinks you're doing good, keep going with what works. Maybe add a bicycle to the mix (or swimming) for a bit of extra cardio and don't worry about the weight.

arch101 likes this.
  9. arch101

I alternate weights days with 40-50min on the stationary bike days (usually watching a marvel or Trek show on the pad).
    I also walk spring to fall. We're close to the beach.

10. StarCruiser

Yeah - once you get into our age group, you take what works!

arch101 and KimMH like this.
  11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

12. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Struggling to lose the 15 pounds of flab I picked up during the quarantine. Walking on the morning, swimming in the afternoon. Problem isn't fitness (I worked out 346 days in a row during the quarantine, often twice a day). It's appallingly bad eating habits. I'm a lifelong bachelor and doughnut addict.

13. StarCruiser

The word you are looking for is "doughnutaholic"...

Yes, loosing weight (depending on age) can be tough. You may need to just try to cut back on some of the sinful items you love, rather than cut them out completely.

Nyotarules likes this.
  14. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Ok, I like your term better. I am officially a doughnutaholic now. :bolian:

StarCruiser likes this.
  15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  16. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

My current gym workout (as of 10/4). I've been going on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but have missed a few due to illness. All weights are on machines.
    • 10 minutes on the stationary bike.
    • 2 minutes of up/down on a step on the floor, with arms straight up.
    • 2 minutes of skier squats (arms go up as I go up).
    • Bicep curl - 20# 3 sets of 10
    • Tricep extension - 40# 3 sets of 10
    • Abdominal crunches - 30# 3 sets of 10
    I see the trainer again tomorrow. My weight at the gym yesterday was 275.

think likes this.
  17. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Found the gym at my complex unexpectedly locked. Had to spend almost half an hour walking in heavy rain... when you're as overweight as I am, and eat as badly as I do, you cannot risk being sedentary.

think and Commander Troi like this.
  18. Commander Troi

:techman:

19. think

think About it! Premium Member

Screenshot_2021-11-01-13-52-39.png
    Mulching leaves and cutting the grass. Map came out better than usual.. It doesn't usually put the house in between the front and back lawns..

Commander Troi and KimMH like this.
  20. Commander Troi

I saw my trainer last Friday and here's how he beat me up. :lol:
    • Upped the steps to 3 minutes.
    • Upped the skier squats to 3 minutes.
    • Wall push-ups, 3 sets of 10.
    • Scapular retractors (back against the wall, feet away from wall, push against wall with elbows, contracting shoulders), 3 sets of 10.
    • High-knee marching the length of the training area, holding 10 lb. weights. I did that 3 times (about 1 minute each way) and *hated* how terrible my balance was! I had to keep slowing down and tweaking my stride length. I think that means I need it. :biggrin:
    Unfortunately, I got stuck getting tires tonight, so I didn't get to the gym. I plan to do cardio tomorrow.

think likes this.