Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I've been getting back on track with my exercise. Save yesterday, when I had food poisoning so severe all I could keep down all day was a few sips of water and a half a cup of applesauce -- and thus, skipped the workout -- I've really been doing well. Today I did 30 min. on my new stationary cycle, 20 min. of yoga, and my usual walking of about 6 miles.
    It feels good to be back on track. I want to lose 10 lbs and improve the tone of my abs and upper arms before swimsuit season.

Oh, and I hula-hooped for 5 min! He he. :)

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am almost afraid to admit that, after getting down to 64 kilograms about two years ago, around Xmas time I was back up to 77 kilos :(

However I have bought myself a Wii and also started to eat a more healthy diet and am now down to 74 kilos. I am aiming to be 72 kilos by my birthday (end of February), 68 by the end of June and down to 63 by Xmas.

I did a 45 minute workout on my Wii this morning and will do another 45 minutes soon. I am currently doing most of my workout with the EA Sports Active game, I play tennis, boxing, volleyball, baseball and dancing.

3. thestrangequark

Feeling pretty good today. I finally got over the horrible stomach bug that's kept me from eating anything but broth and applesauce since last Sunday. Of course, now I have a cold. I follow the "neck up" rule when it comes to exercising, though. If I'm sick from the neck up exercise usually makes me feel better. If I'm sick from the neck down then exercise probably isn't a good idea. Since my symptoms are confined to nasty congestion and a minor headache, I figured a bit of exercise would help. I took a walk outside for an hour and a half over the Williamsburg bridge. I rode my stationary cycle for an hour and 15 minutes, did a few reps with some free weights, and some stretching.

The exercise does seem to have helped my cold a bit -- or it could be all the pseudoephedrine. :)

4. thestrangequark

I ended up adding another 45 minutes on the exercise bike to make it an even 2 hours yesterday. Today, still plagued by the cold, I took it a little easier: I took my usual walk over the bridge, but caught the bus the rest of the way home, and did an hour on the bike. I also did a few reps with some free weights, but I am out of shape! I miss being a fitness buff!

My goals are to get back into my size 4 pants (I'm at a 6 now), and to tone up for a bikini body this summer!

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't know what's been wrong with me, but I have been exhausted for the last week or so. I even took 3 days off, and I am still struggling.

6. thestrangequark

^It is definitely hard to work out when you are feeling weak and tired. I've been struggling with this for a few months, and just found out that my levels of vitamin D are dangerously low. Some side effects of low vitamin D are muscle weakness, general fatigue, and bone and joint pain -- all of which I've been experiencing, and they've made my workouts very difficult. I am starting prescription vitamin therapy though (got to get the script filled on Monday, unfortunately, the pharmacy is not open weekends). I'm very excited and hopeful that I will see some improvement and working out will become easier and more enjoyable.

I did well today, 90 min on my stationary cycle, 15 minutes yoga, and I walked over the bridge though I took the bus the rest of the way because it was just too goddamn cold!

7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I weighed myself today and I am now 72.9 kg which means I have lost another kilos since reporting in last.

I am still using my Wii for my main exercise. I have bought Virtus Tennis 2009 and I love it. Research has shown that Wii Tennis burns up about 150 calories every 30 minutes of play.

A while back in Miscellaneous I complained that my mild mannered son's personality totally changed when he gets on the Playstation. Now, while playing Virtua Tennis, the demon comes out in me. I have called Venus Williams and Rafael Nadal every bad name I can think off while I have been playing against them. Its a good thing I am not on a real tennis court which sounds good enough to me.

I am also determined to walk a minimum of 15 km a week. I walked 2.5 km today.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have been getting out of breath way too easily the last week or so. I wonder if I'm sick. I did a very basic workout today and got really dizzy about halfway through. I've also noticed an bizarre weakness in my arms. I don't know what's going on. I feel like I'm falling apart.

9. thestrangequark

^There's nothing wrong with taking it easy for a while, hon. The worst thing you can do is injure yourself or further exacerbate an illness by working out. Follow the neck up rule: if you have a headache or congestion, a sore throat -- any symptom from the neck-up (aside from fever), it's probably okay to exercise, but if you're having neck-down symptoms like the weakness in your arms, or nausea, take a break. I do hope you stopped when you started feeling dizzy!

Also, I'm sure you are careful of this already, but sometimes everyone needs reminders, are you eating enough for your workouts? Getting enough salt? Water?

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, absolutely nothing has changed in my diet or routine. I'm not sure what's going on. I took 5 days off thinking I just needed a break, but it didn't help. I do feel a lot more awake today, though, and my arms aren't feeling as weak. Normally I can identify what causes various problems with my body, but this has been very random.

11. thestrangequark

^Perhaps you're just still recovering? I hope you feel better!

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My first thought would be overtraining, but if you've taken a rest and still feel weak you may want to check with your doctor. Also its good to take a multivitamin just to cover all of the bases.

RAMA

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Animal Pak, baby. :techman:

And today I feel fine. Maybe I just needed to complain. :lol:

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, since my bout of exhaustion, I have had nothing but awesome workouts. Finally started doing squats today for the first time in a long time, and now my ass is sore. :lol:

15. thestrangequark

^But I bet it's looking fine. :devil: Glad you're feeling better!

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's all right. Give it a few weeks. :lol:

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ive been doing a lot of deep hack squats, 4 days later and I'm still sore.

RAMA

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oh yeah, I fully expect to be sore for a while. I used to squat all the time, but I probably haven't done it regularly in about 2 years . However, I have started to realize that I am becoming top-heavy, so my legs need to get caught up!

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My legs were 31" at one time, I doubt I will lift that heavy anymore, a few knee issues have surfaced, but I've enjoyed getting back into leg workouts...my new workout partner is obsessed with doing them.

RAMA

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Deadlifts this morning. Ugh...