First season closing credits were the greatest

Talos IV

Lieutenant Commander
Red Shirt
Anybody else notice how the photos used in first season closing credits are far more interesting than those in seasons two and three? Season One credits would often use scenes from the episode we just watched, like this from "Court Martial" :

Court-Martial.png

And first season credits frequently spotlighted the guest stars by using photos of them underneath their names. Like this:

Marianna-Hill.png

and this:

John-Colicos.png

Seasons two and three abandoned this practice, but shouldn't have.

If I recall for the tribble episode of Ds9 they intended to do the closing credits like that with scenes from the episode underneath the gold letters, but it took so long to edit with all the trick photography that they were completely out of time when the episode was ready to air and didn't have time to edit together a new credits sequence.

Great call! I did like the closing credits with the spotlighted guest star names and shots. In fact, I've never been sure if that "Court Martial" shot was actually in the episode. Probably it was and I just don't remember.

Anybody else notice how the photos used in first season closing credits are far more interesting than those in seasons two and three? Season One credits would often use scenes from the episode we just watched, like this from "Court Martial" :

Court-Martial.png

And first season credits frequently spotlighted the guest stars by using photos of them underneath their names. Like this:

Marianna-Hill.png

and this:

John-Colicos.png

Seasons two and three abandoned this practice, but shouldn't have.
I have to admit, I don't usually watch the end credits. I eject the blu-ray as soon as the episode ends, and I have no memory of the above. I'll have to watch the end credits when watching first-season episodes. Thanks.

I have to admit, I don't usually watch the end credits. I eject the blu-ray as soon as the episode ends, and I have no memory of the above. I'll have to watch the end credits when watching first-season episodes. Thanks.

Generally I watch the episodes all the way to the very end. The end credits are part of my DNA because I was glued to the TV as a kid. Something else cool was usually coming up next (Space:1999 maybe or I Dream of Jeannie). But now, I just like to get to the closing logo, although the blu rays don't have the 1968-69 Paramount logo at the end of the third season anymore. So I watch the DVDs or my "corrected" video files.

I never skip the opening or closing credits in classic Trek. Later shows, yeah, because they go on forever. But not the original series. It's part of the experience for me. I do the same with the movies.

Believe it or not there was a time when we hadn't seen all of the episodes so it was cool to see scenes from shows we hadn't seen. (This goes for people watching it first run as well. There were scenes from The Cage well before they saved their butts with The Menagerie.)

Back