First Picard Show pic!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by F. King Daniel, May 15, 2019.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah looks like that to me as well.

2. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    It just struck me how... white the casting for extras is in that scene they're filming. Did Sisko take all the PoC with him when he left to join the Prophets?

3. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Is this why your quote is "Drama is life..."? A handful of pics is not an adequate basis for what you're going for.

4. Firebird

Not quite sure what you're trying to insinuate, or why you're taking my comment so seriously. I'm making an observation on the pics we've seen so far, just like others have been doing in this thread, and that's what occurred to me. Trying to throw shade at a signature I've used for years now seems a pointless move to start something.

5. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As more pics come out, I’m more and more excited for this show. I’ve taken issue with the “visual reboot” stuff on Discovery before now (both from the geeky fanboy perspective, but also from the perspective of someone who thinks it’s lazy to just change stuff with little-to-no regard for visual continuity when it’s perfectly possible to update the era’s look whilst maintaining continuity), but seeing these images of an STO-esque look in a future which resembles the 24th Century we knew so well… honestly warms my heart. Finally feels like someone’s continuing the universe we last saw when I was a child, the world we left in a state of grief but hope. Goddamn, it’s good to be back.

Lorcan Kelly, BillJ and Tosk like this.
  6. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Not just that, but where are all the aliens? I know it's probably Earth, but remember how in ST09 and STB there were so many background aliens at the Academy and Yorktown?

Firebird likes this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Authentic 1990's Trek:lol:

Seriously though, perhaps it's due to their location and what extras are available? It's the same forces at the top as Discovery so I cannot imagine it being deliberate.

Kemaiku and Firebird like this.
  8. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But all we've seen from ST:P is what looks to be a TNG-inspired uniform. If you saw only pics of, say, Pike or Number One from DSC in their gold tunic, wouldn't you feel the same way about reviving the TOS aesthetic?

Note also that the ST:P Starfleet uniforms are two piece, not a single jumpsuit. So, they're more different than alike. Aside from the vaguely recognizable color scheme, there's not much visual continuity apparent to me. Seems you're being too hard on DSC and giving too much benefit of the doubt to the other.

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

trekmovie.com article says these could be starfleet academy cadet uniforms.

10. WarpFactorZ

Why, because they look like this?

[​IMG]

Seems like pure speculation at this point. I thought this might be SF Academy since it has light pole banners reminiscent of present-day universities, but it seems those say "Starfleet Headquarters".

11. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Almost certainly I’m being too easily impressed (I can’t say whether I’m being too “hard” on DISC because I’ve now seen all of it, and my somewhat mixed opinion is well and truly formed), but at the same time while irrational, these first impressions often shape a fan’s opinions of - well, everything that follows.

However, to examine your points: yes, the ST:P uniforms are two piece, just like the First Contact uniform was, whilst maintaining the general arrangement (black main body, contrasting shoulders) of the last two c24 uniforms we had on screen, and seemingly using the same department colours we had for the last 2.5 iterations (the science colour definitely went greener from the DS9 jumpsuit onward). That’s already a more congruous development than the c23 uniforms of Discovery are to their counterparts from TOS (I give the Discovery uniform credit for being a “department colour over blue” jumpsuit like Ent, but take a bit of that credit back for the Starfleet delta being improperly used without due retcon*). To answer your point about the DSC Constitution uniform… well, honestly I don’t know that those would have garnered the same excitement, and to a degree it didn’t when we got a glimpse for Season 2, since they are still different enough to not truly fit the aesthetic (beyond the colour schemes).

To be honest, for me at least, everything we’ve seen of this c24/early c25 stuff seems congruent with the developmental path of c24 Trek in a way Discovery has never tried to be for c23 (and whether you approve of that decision or not, there’s no denying it really isn’t congruent with the era of c23 it’s set in). The civilian clothing seems closer to c24, the uniforms are a recognisable development (seemingly rooted somewhere between Voyager’s creased jumpsuit, First Contact’s jumpsuit-esque two piece, the high collar of TNG and more than a hint of Star Trek: Online (which has been largely good at developing the design of c24 Trek in a rational manner, with some hiccoughs here and there).

I mean, I’m not gonna lie and pretend this isn’t a hopefully-eloquently-put version of a long winded SQUEEEEEE from someone who grew up on c24 Trek seeing something that is very much akin to his childhood returning, so apologies if I don’t make sense.

*And before someone points out that the delta was supposedly meant to be used for all Starships, the evidence for that is inconsistent at best in TOS - what with the Constellation and Exeter patches being prominent - and is retconned into irrelevance by the prominent Defiant patch of Through A Mirror, Darkly. Evidence of screen trumps intent in my book.

As a side note, for fun, I once did a series of “alt-fleet uniforms” for the Disco era in STO that explained the incongruity with The Cage uniforms and used the “fleet patch” explanation for different service patches (which I believe came from the writer of Federation: The First 150 Years) in TOS to explain why so many ships used the Starfleet Delta in DSC, but it’d be a tad faffy - and off topic - to post those here.

Rahul likes this.
  12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Academy uniforms changed just as much as the regular uniforms did, so I still put even money on these new uniforms as standard.

CRM-114, urbandk and Captain Jed R. like this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There were cadets at Starfleet HQ in Into Darkness (since I'm pretty sure in most versions of the lore they're next door) so I guess it could be either, but since they're so Countdown-ish I'm gonna say they're the regular unis.

And I'm glad they've got bright colours.

Firebird and Captain Jed R. like this.
  14. Firebird

I hadn’t noticed that until now. I wonder if some of the background will get CGI’d with alien heads or makeup appliances after the fact?

15. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I doubt it. If they were going to then they would have some sort of tracking markers on their heads to make things easier for the VFX artists.

16. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    Have we ever seen Academy uniforms that had different colors for different functions?

17. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

If you mean the departmental colors, we've seen Red Squad wear all three of them in DS9's Valiant at the latest. It's weird how everybody seemed to wear red at the Academy in The First Duty (TNG), given that the first ever cadet uniform we saw on TNG was a gold one in Allegiance, worn by one of Picard's kidnappers masquerading as a Bolian cadet.

18. WarpFactorZ

I'm pretty sure I see several aliens in those stills. Take this one, for example:
    Top left: a black-robed individual with hood. Could be a Vulcan, or some other species.

Top middle: alien species that is all pasty white.

Middle left (next to Picard): Vulcan woman in Starfleet blue?

Middle right (next to Picard): silvery-looking robot guy walking in front of a camera.

BOTTOM LEFT (seeming to notice Picard): BEVERLY CRUSHER???? (or production staff?)

19. DanielPMonut

DanielPMonut Lieutenant Red Shirt

the source vid!

it's short, doesn't reveal much, but does give a better sense of pip placement:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Rahul and F. King Daniel like this.
  20. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

That expression from Patrick Stewart is gold!
    I am however a little disappointed by the cheapness of that cadet/officer's uniform. Compared to the uniforms in Discovery, this one looks rather ill fitting and, well, cheap.
    However, if the costuming is the worst thing to say about the Picard show so far, I'd say that's pretty good!