First Contact was a reimagining of TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by GalaxyX, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have to agree, I've always thought the same thing. :)

2. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me too. I wish the Ent-D hadn't been destroyed in "Generations".

Then again, if it had been the D, you'd have had civilians and kids being Borgified which might've been too much.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Well, if you immediately stopped watching after "All Good Things" and skipped all TNG movies then the E-D was never destroyed. You also get to skip three bad movies too!:devil:

4. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Though of course that script is also more faithful in some respects to the series in terms of characterisations, with Picard on Earth with Cochrane and Ruby, and Riker on the Enterprise doing the action stuff with Worf and Data. Patrick Stewart I think asked for their roles to be switched, because the captain should be in the thick of the action.

Other parts of that first draft are way off, like the way Starfleet is depicted. IIRC during the spacewalk scene, Riker and Worf pivot a torpedo launcher around and blow up the deflector dish. The stuff about "phaser batteries" seems really out of place, though the Borg-busting quantum torpedoes would be revisited years later for Voyager's finale. There are also some scenes totally lifted from Aliens, which were cut or altered.