Final Trailer!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're assuming there will be a spin-off, but there's no evidence of this, yet.

Wait until one is actually announced.

Also I apologize about that other part of my post.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

honestly…I never got bored or sick of Berman-Trek. I could have done 3 more seasons of Enterprise.

But I fully realize I’m in the minority on that.

and if there is I still expect it’s more likely to be Starfleet Academy and not the Titan/Seven of Nine power hour.

JRob94 and Cr0sis21 like this.
  3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not just the last 15 years. It's every Star Trek. TNG is an abomination to TOS. Now I like TNG and DS9 is an abomination to TNG. Now I like DS9 and VOY is an abomination to DS9. A few more Star Trek shows that subvert expectations or go against the norm, the Discovery and Picard haters will suddenly be saying these shows are an insult to Discovery and Picard.

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I was observing that the reactions to each successive version of Star Trek since 2009 have become less intense instead of more, and they've been feeling less alienated than before. I'll bring it into sharper focus.

Kelvin FIlms --> "That's not Star Trek!" = "I don't recognize this as Star Trek!"

Discovery --> "What have they done to Star Trek?!" = "I recognize this as Star Trek, but it's not my Star Trek and I think it sucks!"

Picard --> "What have they done to MY Star Trek?!" = "TNG actually was my Star Trek and they mangled it up! This hits closer to home than it did with Discovery!"

Strange New Worlds --> "That's Star Trek!" = "It looks different, but it feels like the Star Trek I remember, just updated!"

So the reaction to DSC and PIC won't become more positive until they shake things up again. I don't see that happening any time soon if things continue in this direction. They won't shake things up again -- to the degree they did before -- until someone else besides Alex Kurtzman takes over.

5. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

I could be wrong, but I would say it’s unlikely Matalas will reply to that particular query.

6. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I watched almost the entire SNW on my phone and it was fine.

7. RuleofAcuisition17

RuleofAcuisition17 Commander Red Shirt

The problem is SNW is what they should have done which is take the forumula, give it a full new coat of paint, update the visuals, bring in a consistent watch order to allow for natural character growth, have a cast which cares or used to watch any flavour of prior Trek as a kid and here. We. Go.

We didn't get that with Discovery, what we got was an achingly GIRLBOSS protagonist (since when have Trek shows ever had THAT? It's always been about the ensemble cast problem solving together) and its written the usual horrible way Hollywood writes "strong women" which is just the tropes of "toxic male with boobs" to the point Burnham was verging on obnoxious marysue ism. She knew better than everyone else, could solve better than nearly everyone else and the rest of the cast, such as they were developed, mainly hung about to be a foil to Burnham. Oh and she's SPOCKS HUMAN SISTER! REMEMBER SPOCK TREKKIES? YOU LIKE SPOCK DONT YOU? Pleastunein.

The character as written (zero disrespect to Sonequa Martin-Green, she's a fine actress) either shouldn't be anywhere near a star ship unless its enjoying the walls of a brig, or needed a lot more of her hubris beaten out of her by the rest of the crew before being even allowed to come clean the coffee cups off of the bridge. She hasn't had the kind of character arc that even Tom Paris got in Voyager to get rid of his arrogance, and that show was written in such a way to be ruthlessly syndicated in any order.

Now I've got that slightly annoyed rant over, what we do know is they ARE shaking up the formula for Discovery Season 5 (there's a lot less reviewers of Season 4 and the audience score is abysmal on Rotten Tomatoes) to the point they're going to be looting SNW's clothes and it will be in a similar format. Problem of the week, planet of the week, plucky crew goes to fix the problem and make friends along the way. No more galatic ending events, and hopefully a lot less sobbing.

So we kind of know there are shakeups happening, Goldsman doesn't have to pull double duty where he clearly focused on SNW. While over on Picard Matalas has written several very good TV shows himself, is a huge Trekkie and was even production assistant on the final two seasons of Voyager which most people say are the best seasons. He was there when Trek was "as it should be" and seems to understand the weight of responsibility on his shoulders with this final season.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And that makes me nervours more than anything else. Declaring how Trek "should be" is a recipe for disaster, in my humble opinion. Star Trek is a multifaceted variety setting that can accommodate a wide variety of styles. Saying there is only one way, or limited number of ways that it should be, is too short sighted.

9. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Me too, I actually don’t mind watching on my phone. It would be nice to watch a new film in the cinema one day though on a super sized screen. :techman:

Also, the trailer seems to only show clips from the first few episodes, but I could be wrong. We only really see scenes filmed on the Shrike and Titan. I’m sure that this is not a ten hour submarine like ‘bottle series’ version of The Wrath of Khan and that we will have many other varied planets and locations to look forward to. Some of the locations could be dark and shadow filled, others could be bright, light and colourful. They might not have time to do any exploring or science stuff this season, but perhaps they can do that in a potential spin-off. Picard’s son could even join a spin-off as a part of Seven of Nine’s crew on the new Enterprise, that is if he even wants to be in Starfleet. They could do a Dal (who should be commander by this time) and Picard’s son ‘ship’. :D

10. RuleofAcuisition17

In defense of my saying this.

We've seen Discovery and Picard.

We've seen them try and change the formula.

Trek at its heart is very formulaic to truly work and you have to be damnably good to be able to change that. DS9 managed it, by proving longform storylines can work in the Trek setting, but it needs streaming services to really work and it only seems to have been since the series got put onto Netflix, then Paramount+ to truly be appreciated, same with the new wave of appreciation of Enterprise, even though that tries to follow an amalgam of the TOS and DS9 "formula".

You can do different settings, but they often wear out their welcome within an episode or two. How long would a show on one of the tiny border stations work, or a science vessel on long range research missions?

Even DS9 knew to stay in space when they could've just as easily dumped a bunch of Federation People onto Bajor somewhere as a kind of liason, helping co-ordinate relief efforts and offer a free clinic service and to discourage Cardassian military action. Sisko could've easily connected with the prophets on the planets surface (and does, several times). Not like there weren't enough orbs and religious sites, it could've just as easily been in some street in a pedestrianised part of Ashalla and still worked for a good 90%+ of the plots we saw involving the people.

But they knew, Star Trek = Space.

So into space they were. "Bobbing around in our little space station."

11. fireproof78

For me, a whole season. For others, probably less.

Which is a sad commentary on the predictable nature of TV shows more than anything else. I don't want the "Trek formula." I want them to explore strangeness, and newness and the like.

Commander Troi and 777 like this.
  12. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

Actually, it's a project for Disney.

That said, producers often work on several projects at the same time.

And the Fandom Menace savaged it when it first came out in the nineties ("It's too dark! It doesn't go anywhere!")

Where is DS9 again? SPACE!

This argument makes no sense.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Commander Troi and TedShatner10 like this.
  13. RuleofAcuisition17

I do think a Science ship would make a good show, but the focus would be almost entirely on the drama side of it, and frankly to that I'd only just Ira to run it at the moment.

I'm thinking stuff like "Exploring the Mirror universe" which felt like it dragged on for way, way too long despite being what oh-so-many of us have wanted to see and explore since the very idea came about. Sometimes NOT getting what you want is a better move.

Do you mean the Strange New Worlds, to seek out new life and civilisations? To Bodly go where no-one has gone before?

The tagline of the series since 1966?

Just because it follows "a formula" doesn't mean it can't innovate withing the bounds. If anything restrictions can lead to far greater creativity than going "Do anything you like!"

14. fireproof78

Again, differences. I freaking loved the MU and have enjoyed it since reading comics on it's origin. Everything about it in the TOS/Discovery era appeals.

It can, if used correctly.

In Star Trek's case, it bred sameness, and familiarity to the point that few shows felt different. TOS and DS9 were the only outliers. Now, in the case of streaming Trek, we get all of that and more. You get the familiar formula in one show, and something new and different in other shows. I want that variety, not a freaking formula. The word "should" around Star Trek makes my skin crawl.

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I understand that you love SNW. I think SNW is okay. And I'm okay with one SNW. We don't need five SNWs. Which I get the impression is what you want.

You have your show and you can enjoy it. I have mine and I can enjoy mine.

There's a lot of stuff to unpack in that post of yours, but this is not the place to do it, and I no longer post in the DSC Forum, except once in a blue moon. So, without a place that I'm willing to hash it out at, we'll agree to disagree about the show and leave it at that.

16. Danja

That was BEFORE Season One aired.

Strange New Worlds after Season One -> "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY STAR TREK?! IT'S NOW GONE ALL WOKE!"

There's no pleasing some people. :rolleyes:

17. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Blowing things up, opening fire and crash landing all the time? Did the writers even watch TNG? Doesn’t sound much like the show I remember, so the opening gag fell totally flat.

Very underwhelmed by the trailer (and for goodness sake, somebody turn on the LIGHTS!!) as it all seems very generic and but still looking forward to giving it a watch.

18. Tuskin38

It's a reference to the movies.

Yes

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Vasquez Rocks and Lord Garth like this.
  19. Danja

So it would've been fine had Burnham been a MAN?

Starfleet is a paramilitary unit. Name me one military unit that makes decisions by committee.

Commander Troi, 777 and Lord Garth like this.
  20. Tuskin38

Season 5 is still an overarching story based on the trailer and what we know of the story. They're not following SNW.

Lord Garth likes this.