Favorite 'Little' Moments Of DS9...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Farscape One, Oct 17, 2018.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember seeing that episode for the first time and thinking Nog had some sort of weird scheme going on and that it would be wrapped up by the end of the episode TNG style and played for laughs during the episode.

I never thought it would turn into what it did and am so happy TPTB took Nog in that direction.

Jake and Nog were both handled so much better than Wesley.

Seven of Five and kkt like this.
  2. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have been Julian in that particular situation LOL

kkt and mlbach like this.
  3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have been Garak. ;)

4. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From Ferengi love songs. the scene where Quark is in his room with a phaser to his head and moogie walks in and nonchalantly tells him the power cells are empty

5. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

<bolding the part I mean, but giving a little context>

SISKO: .... The three of us are going to Cardassia.
    GARAK: The three of us? You can't be serious. Commander, if I were allowed on Cardassia, do you really think I'd be living here?
    SISKO: Which brings up an interesting point. There are certain ministers in the Bajoran government who are concerned about your presence on this station. In fact, they want you removed. Right now, I see no alternative but to honour their request. Unless, of course, I can show them how you might be valuable to us.
    ODO: Rescuing Kira would go a long way toward improving your standing with the Bajoran government.
    GARAK: Why should I care what the Bajoran government thinks of me?
    SISKO: I don't know. But it seems to me if someone were in trouble with the Cardassian Central Command, a Bajoran space station under Federation control might just be the safest place in the galaxy.
    GARAK: Commander, this is extortion.
    SISKO: Yes. It is. We'll be travelling under false transit documents prepared by Starfleet Intelligence. Mister O'Brien has reconfigured the shield harmonics of the Defiant so that, on long-range sensors, it'll appear to be a Kobheerian freighter. We leave in three hours.
    GARAK: I'll go along on your fool's errand, but I want one thing to be perfectly clear. I have no intention of sacrificing my life to save yours. If it looks like we're in danger of being captured, if there's any signs of trouble at all, you're on your own.
    SISKO: Mister Garak, I believe that's the first completely honest thing you've ever said to me.
    GARAK: How perceptive of you, Commander.

Up until that point in the series, that may indeed have been an accurate observation from Sisko... also, I love how in that single line, Garak drops all his usual charm and just delivers a very blunt message, also in body language, facial expression and voice inflection.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  6. Agony_Boothb

Ties of Blood and Water. As Dukat's battlecruiser is approaching the station, we see an Excelsior class starship doing an orbit of the station. Later during one of the establishing shots we see it in a defensive formation next to DS9. I just thought it was a nice touch and great visual continuity.

kkt and UnknownSample like this.
  7. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A famous trope: Your mother-in-law (to be) isn't happy with you, the girl her son chooses to marry. Things are worse when said mother-in-law is also a prophet ....

8. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

Duet is pretty dark overall, but there’s a moment when Quark is speaking to Odo about the group of Gallitep survivors outside Odo’s office: “Gallitep. Imagine living through that hellhole. The pain, the sorrow. Do you think they like to gamble?” :lol:

kkt and Seven of Five like this.
  9. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sons and Daughters; Martok's deep and profound, "When a father and son do not speak... it means there is trouble between them."

Smiley, Agony_Boothb and mlbach like this.
  10. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kassidy and Ben. In their entire opening scene of "The Way of the Warrior." But, especially in "Indiscretion."

"That's a big step." It sets up with all the humor of a Home Improvement episode. A man not understanding why a woman is upset, a fear of commitment. And, then it turns:

"This life I lead, this job I do, it's what got Jennifer killed. If anything were to happen to you..."

A character moment. Ben feels guilty. The wrinkle added to the Dominion threat, the cold war of the 4th season. It deepens Picard never wanting families on the Enterprise. It looked like a train-wreck, a rip-off of a popular, bad TV show, at the time.

And, DS9 knocked it out of the park.

kkt likes this.
  11. HaventGotALife

"Hahaha! Community leader! Hahaha!"
    "And no one is going take bets about how long someone is going to sit around in the dark."
    "Funny, for a moment, I thought you were talking to me as a friend."
    "Nah."
    "It's so bubbly and cloying and happy."
    "He's the funny one."
    "And watch your mouth!"
    "Commander, it is time."
    "Bad eyes, good ears."

Awesome show.

Smiley and Bad Thoughts like this.
  12. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

My wife saw that episode for the first time tonight. She is not a fan of Klingon episodes at all, because according to her, they have a very limited vocabulary. She actually wrote it down...

Honor
    Die
    Disgrace
    Drink
    Song
    Glory
    Warrior
    Fight
    Story
    Battle
    Empire

(I enjoy Klingon episodes, but I can see how she could oversimply their vocabulary.)

I love Martok, and his line IS perhaps the most obvious thing anyone can say, but he gets a pass because... well, it's Martok.

Despite that, my wife and I have already come up with some obvious things to say...

"When the tv and roku are unplugged, it means there is no electricity powering them."

"When all towels and clothes have been folded, it means the laundry is done."

"When bread has butter on it, it means the bread has been buttered."

13. HaventGotALife

It's a callback to yet another priceless scene between Garak and Bashir.

"Genetically engineered, indeed"
    "Excuse me?"
    "Well, look at you. You act as if you haven't a care in the world! It's precisely that smug superior attitude that makes people like you so unpopular."
    "Are you trying to insult me?"
    "37.2 percent chance of survival, I call that insulting!"
    "It's simply a matter of mathematics, Garak."
    "No, it's simply a matter of our lives! You're not genetically engineered...you're Vulcan!"

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Smiley and mlbach like this.
  14. HaventGotALife

"When the sun rises and the sky is light, it means the day is starting."

I laughed a lot at the Roku one.

Worf is the President of the Department of Redundancy Department.

It takes 2, maybe 3 seconds amongst other Klingons for them to have a length-measuring contest.

"Do you hear the cry of the Warrior?"

I kept waiting for a song of glory about his well-regulated intestines. Shall I drink more Prune juice today?

Do you hear the cry of the Warrior?

Or contemplating a glass of blood wine while he downs some prune juice. I got close in "The Way of the Warrior," and Quark.

Do you hear the Cry of the Warrior?

There are two drinks on Kronos--Rahktigino and Blood Wine. That's it.

Head thumping on table as Kurn talks about safe, comfortable furniture.

Where is his subscriptions to Klingon bride magazines?

Captain, we must fire phasers!
    Not yet, Mr. Worf.

Ah, Picard, diplomat, dogs of war on a leash!

I want the Captain series, I really do. I want him to be sent to survey a planet, a face appears in the clouds, it looks threatening, so Worf blows the planet to smitherines! The end of the show. Worf learns he can't explore.

The Klingons in the 24th century are terrible. Their stories mirror the redundancies on their bodies. If you stab one heart, the other cries out:

But, let's complain about an anthropologist marveling at their design of the ship of the dead. Let's cry they suck when we see the art around the actual burial ceremony, not just Worf, on some distant Federation ship or space station, rolling back a warrior's eyes, and yowling to the dead a warrior comes to Sto-Vo-Kor. Let's scoff at knowing there are 24 houses, that they warred after Kahless died. Let's forget all that because they don't look like yesteryear's Klingons, as if we didn't do this previously for 25 actual years. Let's destroy the antagonists--the xenophobes--in a show called "Discovery."

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  15. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

OMG—In A Time To Stand, O’Brien tells Garak to take a seat on the Jem Hadar ship where there are no seats. So it’s A TIME TO STAND...
    Just got that :guffaw:

Smiley, Agony_Boothb and kkt like this.
  16. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

This list has no honor! It omits Kahless.

Farscape One and mlbach like this.
  17. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bashir "You can't just dismiss this!"
    O'Brien "I can try"

18. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

"An ambassador who will go targ hunting! Being chancellor might not be so BAD after all."
    Martok's last words in the series.

mlbach likes this.
  19. Agony_Boothb

Speaking of Martok, I did like when he was telling Sisko about how he lost is pet targ. Sirella 'accidentally' leaving the door open when she was moving in, and Martok's targ tottering off into the wilderness because he was 'ever ready to follow the call of the wild'

mlbach and kkt like this.
  20. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kira: "Chief, are you ready for transport?"
    O'Brien: "Are we ever!"

mlbach and Prax like this.