Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I assume RDJ won't play the role forever, in fact they are already building up a new team and Downey Jr. is really starting to show his age (not that means anything but it looks odd being surrounded by 20 and early 30 somethings). I think he is locked for Infinity War but so far no stand alone Iron Man movies have been planned so he'll be gone sooner or later (and i doubt Marvel will try to find a replacement).

So some years later there could be a place for the FF, maybe in phase 4 or 5 if they make it this far and (and this is the biggest issue) if Marvel gets back the rights fully or wants them bad enough to strike a Spiderman like deal with the other studio.

However they will only have the one shot of saving the movie version of the FF because at least the fans will remember the bad FF movies and would need something extraordinary to go back to the superfamily.

All this hangs on an extremely thin thread and the way the MCU is set up they don't really need them. Would be nice especialy with their cosmic scale enemies like Galactus who would make a good supervillain after Thanos gets defeated.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

One possibility might be to treat the Fantastic Four the way the early MCU movies treated Nick Fury and SHIELD -- don't give them their own movie right off (certainly not another origin movie, please), but have them be a recurring, emergent background presence across multiple films that are focused on other characters. That way Marvel would get the benefits of holding the rights to the FF and all the concepts attached to them, without the risk of another standalone FF movie, at least until the MCU's FF had built up a reputation and audience acceptance.

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Suppose the MCU version of the Fantastic Four were famous back in the day but, as someone else suggested, they suddenly disappeared one day and then suddenly reemerge in the present through a time hole or something. You could retcon it that they were contemporaries of Hank Pym & Howard Stark & Peggy Carter.

Since fame often seems to be an element of Fantastic Four stories, perhaps it could be a story about has-beens trying to regain their relevance. (Appropriate since it's generally said that Fantastic Four are only still famous these days as legacy characters, like Superman. They're most famous for being the first, not necessarily for still being relevant now.)

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

No, Captain America was the first superhero in the MCU. Don't take that away from him.

Butters likes this.
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, Cap was first because he came along during WWII. Hank Pym was active in the '70s and '80s, alongside the middle-aged Howard and Peggy. So nobody's suggesting putting the FF before Cap. TBC, if I read the post right, is talking about the FF being the first in terms of real-world Marvel history, not in-story. (Of course, the first Marvel/Timely heroes were the Human Torch, Namor, and Cap, but the FF were the beginning of the Marvel Universe per se, with the older characters being added to it later.)

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about the original Human Torch who we saw at the 1939 world fair?

Super "human" kinda, but Superhero?

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

An idea that would preserve the FF's status in the MCU while not retconning them as earlier powered superheroes...take a page from Byrne's What If? story in which the FF never got their powers...set them up as a famous and accomplished non-powered adventuring team, a la the Challengers of the Unknown...who maybe disappeared in space / the Negative Zone / whatever years ago...and come back with super powers....

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about actually showing the conflation of two timelines?

Like at the end of Crisis.

So the story starts with them not being part of the MCU, and then some thing cosmic with the time Stone or the reality Stone, makes it so that they have always been part of the MCU... It's just a question of who is the witness that remember the changes to reality/the timeline.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

That's a fair review on his part. I still don't know if his version would appeal to me anymore than the final version did. Dark and gritty just isn't the direction you should take the Fantastic Four. I like that he name-dropped Peyton Reed as his choice to do the next Fantastic Four film.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  11. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i would love to see Jesse and Meghan Rath take on Johnny & Sue Storm

Caretaker likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hadn't thought about that before, but it would be fun to see them cast real siblings as the Storms. There plenty of brothers and sisters who act, so it wouldn't be that hard to find real ones.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

As Brainy and Sally? Can a force field contain a ghost?

14. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think Megan could pull off a shy nerdy person (if they chose to characterize Sue as that)...and Jesse has done cocky before...I think he could definitely do a Chris Evans level performance