Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

If the Fantastic Four were to be introduced, I think the only real way to do it would be through a television show. Taking some good points that posters have mentioned earlier, Reed could have been an established scientist working with an organization unrelated to Stark Industries or SHIELD, something plausible if he was working on dimensional/space travel unrelated to weapons and such. This would allow for him to be well-established and famous in universe while not having been seen thus far. Sue could be working with him and Johnny could be a celebrity in his own right.

Events from the MCU could have inspired him to feel the need to push his research forward quickly, ignoring protocols and such leading to the origin of the team's powers.

The television series format would allow sufficient screen time for the FF to become the prominent figures in-universe between movies. Although it probably won't allow time for a full solo movie during the show's run, the team could certainly appear in the movies as well-established characters, both in universe and to the audience.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, I think he just got back from his training in the mysterious East. Later retconned into a time travel story, IIRC.

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I doubt if the Fantastic Four could be properly with television budget and there'd be little to no interaction with the rest of the MCU.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you. :)

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...doom-worked-for-hitler/?page=preview&id=24839

He worked for Hitler ironically.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The Flash and upcoming Supergirl series seem to be doing well. The FF on television just means that there would have to be more focus on character interaction which I have no problems with. Also, many plots could easily be toned down on action and still be suspenseful. Mole Man, for example, could be done quite effectively--creepy things happen in dark underground passages.

6. Guy Gardener

Put the actor playing the Thing in a Rubber suit and you shave 3 million off the cgi bill every week.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

With the Flash and Supergirl you're talking about atleast two people with superpowers each week not four. And like you said they have to tone down the storylines, so instead of a Monster Island full of monsters for a Mole Man story you'd get less, the same can said for a Galactus or Watcher story or even the Frightful Four and no crossover with the Inhumans either for that matter. The Fantastic Four IMO need a bigger canvas to tell their stories than an hourly TV show can provide.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But he was a scientist who'd been pretty much in seclusion for decades, who was forgotten and largely unknown. Again, the things I want come from the FF having been public, famous, important, influential superheroes for a long time. Any scenario where they've only just started to become known as superheroes is incompatible with that, no matter how you define their past before becoming the FF. The only way it could work in the MCU, as I said, is if it develops gradually over years' worth of productions. And that would be a long wait.

9. Guy Gardener

Unless the first movie is 6 or 7 x fifteen minute long vignettes spaced a year or two apart.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

There's no reason why it can't be in hte same manner though. Dr. Strange has been mensioned in two movies so far Spider-Man 2 and the Winter Soldier and he's yet to be seen. In any event an MCU FF movie would be in phase 4 at the very least which will start in 2020 so it'll be a long wait no matter.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

In the MCU, the Fantastic Four are just fictional superheroes in terrible movies. Steve Rogers is also pretty embarrassed that guy that plays Human Torch resembles him so much. :devil:

12. Guy Gardener

Oh.

The Watcher misunderstanding what a movie is (Cou-GalaxyQuest-The Three Amigos!-ough!) gives Jessica Alba, Iaon Gruffodd, Chris Evans and Michael Chiklas the powers of the Fantastic Four to Stop (the real) Galactus (in Bike shorts) from eating the Earth. While doling out superpowers, incidentally he also strikes Kerry Washington blind, who is really, really, really not happy about that.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

they mention Doctor Strange in Spider-Man 2? :wtf:

14. Guy Gardener

from imdb...

Meh.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

We have a winner !

;)

16. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

It could also be because Hulk really can't carry a movie himself, but I'm sure the rights have a lot to do with it.

That's the key, right there. They make a good movie with them, all of the other stuff will be marginalized. Some people are still complaining about Bucky being a full grown man instead of a teenager in red tights, but who cares?

I think it's really simple, maybe because I'm too simple, but I think in any movie, say Civil War, (which I know is impossible) that the after the credits scene is the Vision and maybe one of the other Avengers, Witch or War Machine, investigating a space gate anomaly very similar to the one the tesaract created to let the Chitauri through only to find the Fantastic Four emerging from it. They are all in rough shape but it's obviously them, one being on fire and the one of them being The Thing, plus the 4s on them, and Vision says something (not lame like what I write) "The FF! You disappeared in 19xx (like 78) what happened? and Reed says, "We just fought our way back from the Negative Zone! and we have to warn everyone Annhillus is coming!" And that's it, no more explanation.

No one explained Thanos at the end of Avengers and it was awesome. I bet even if there's no plans to make anything, a tag like that would have people cheering like they did for Thanos.
    Then a later movie could show flashbacks and montages and whatever to get everyone up to speed how famous they were before they disappeared and now in the present they are now the go to team for space threats and other stuff.

It could really work with the Inhumans coming up, maybe at the end of their movie. (Or maybe the Guardians of the Galaxy can find them instead of Vision, but I'm not sure how they would know the FF, maybe StarLord would have though because he disappeared in the 80s, Vision has a perfect memory and can spit out stuff like that without sounding to expository because of his nature.) I don't see a downside here.

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Im on board with the posters who think that the easiest/best thing to do would be a 1960s set FF film (let Peyton Reed do it, god knows he wants to and deserves it at this point) that ends with them going off into space/the negative zone and then we see them reappear through a wormhold or some such thing.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

For sure the Rights situation is a large factor.
    I'd say that The Hulk, as presently presented to audiences, indeed can't carry a movie. However, that's cause The Hulk has yet to be presented in a movie, like he is in the books from whence he came.

What we are still getting is a packaged version of the Bixby/Ferigno TV show Hulk from the 70's. The Hulk in the books actually speaks. I'd like Feige to pick an intellegience level and go from there. Even Hulk books of the 60/70's when it was Child-like Hulk who always charged "HULK SMASH" & "Puny Banner" could speak and communicate. We've yet to get a Hulk on screen in 3 films to utter more than 10 words.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that The Incredible Hulk was a very good movie, and showed that the Hulk can carry the movie. I really don't get the poor response the movie gets.

20. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I thought it was good, too, but I think it was the weakest of phase one or tied with Iron Man 2.