Fans suggest a Cardassian series with Garak in the lead!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Lynx, Mar 16, 2021.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

.... and make Nog the officer he has to report to.

(that would be a small bit of payback for that gratuitous 'admiral Janeway' scene in Nemesis).

2. Moist_Cake

Moist_Cake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

3. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Being old is not necessarily an obstacle to being a spymaster. But it might be an obstacle to being an actor on series television.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still trying to decide if this joke is tone-deaf or darkly morbid.

(I'm mean, you do know Nog is never coming back?)

5. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That simply didn't occur to me when writing that post (though I had heard about it when it happened). So, no, it wasn't my intention to make a morbid joke. My apologies to anyone who was shocked by this.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Not shocked. I can see that some people would find it uproarious that Kim (Ensign or crewman) would still be reporting to Nog.

publiusr likes this.
  7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to disagree here. Age is without importance when it comes to a great and very interesting character.
    The only obstacle would be if Robinson's age makes it difficult to portray the character, which I doubt.

8. Moist_Cake

Moist_Cake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree with you, but generally speaking, the audience wants to be viewing a young attractive cast. You need more to appeal to a wider audience. But yes, I would watch it. :)

9. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I'd watch it... however getting people who participate in a DS9 bulletin board to watch is not going to get the producers the ratings they need!

10. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd watch it because it's Star Trek but I agree. It's more the province of a graphic novel, audio play or book. All respect to Garak, but he's hardly a character with the weight of Picard behind him. Fans can suggest until they are blue in the face but we will (maybe sadly) never have a miniseries about a bit character from Deep Space Nine.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you read the Terok Nor novels and/or the Enter the Wolves comic?

DS9forever likes this.
  13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ditto, and ninja'd.

14. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

But that means the number of producers and showrunners would have to dwindle because a lot of them claim to be big fans of the show they're now making. :o

As for mass appeal, they used to say "50 million smokers can't be wrong". Depends on what they were smoking... a large audience is great, but appealing to a large audience of robots all running the same OS version could get boring very quickly too...

15. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I think that make-up would be an issue. It takes hours to turn a person into a Cardassian. Can you imagine having to do that with all your extras?

16. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the closest we get to this is either an episode of Star Trek: Picard or an appearance (or appearances) on Star Trek: Lower Decks.

Sadly, for me personally, the latter just wouldn't be the same at all. I am spoiled rotten by all the new Trek in production these days, so this is by no means a "fan demand" (lol), but my #1 hope is that before this wave of Trek TV is over we get an early 24th-century show with a few new characters and plenty of TNG/DS9/VOY alumni.

I know that sounds like a terrible pitch for some folks around here and I respect it. But hey, I'd be in nerd heaven.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  17. Laughing Dragon

Laughing Dragon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think the bigger hurdle for a 79 year old would be the make-up more than anything else. Though... If they can spruce up picks of actors and actresses they can take off some aging on Garak and it would not be too odd to retain some youthful appearance since human/aliens live longer in the trek future. So maybe it taking place sometime between DS9 and Picard.

FanST likes this.
  18. Laughing Dragon

Laughing Dragon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Though, to add, anything current Trek hasn't been to my liking so the chances of me enjoying it may be nil.

19. GulBahana

GulBahana Commander Red Shirt

A Cardassian series isn't gonna happen. I'd like to see Garak come back as the leader of Cardassia though.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spoiler ahead...

In the novelverse, that's exactly what he is.

Garak's full title is "Castellan of the Cardassian Union".

Sci and FanST like this.