Fan Film Creation and Critique

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by fireproof78, Aug 29, 2015.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I understand this position. As much as I try not to buy in to publicity and hype, if the production staff are putting claims out there, I find it difficult to to not to allow that to influence my judgement. Not that I'm keeping a record of their perceived promises, so much as that is in the back of my mind.

I want to see Axanar, because, as a concept, because it explores a facet of Star Trek lore that I find enjoyable. Beyond that, anything else makes me cautious.

This is my point of view as well. Thank you for putting it succinctly.

My main frustration is criticism that is unbalanced with no love or recognition of what was done well. This is true of professional productions, but fan productions suffer from the same as well. The trouble is that such discouragement can mean that those production companies simply stop with no desire to continue on because of lack of support.

Regardless of personal feelings towards production teams, I do want to see fan productions succeed in their goals.

2. SuperSpaceMan

SuperSpaceMan Captain Captain

There is no way, I would ever compare something like Project Potemkin to even something like Star Trek Continues, or Renegades, or Axanar....

I am not a fan of comparing stuff, unless it really can be an apples to apples comparison and with Fan films, varying experience, goals, budgets, I can't say it can be done in a realistic manner.... It's like comparing a steak I get a Roadhouse to a steak I get at Ruth Chris....

3. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Best Steak I've ever had was at Uncle Jacks Steak House on 9th Ave in Manhattan. I still dream about that steak.

4. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen one or two episodes of STC, and Prelude.
    STC blew me away - i would definitely not put it at the same level as a commercial TV production; but for a fan-film it came pretty darn close. My main criticism of STC is that it feels too "clean", and sometimes it feels like the actors are parodying the TOS cast - like playing (expensive) dress-up. Aside from those small issues, i thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Prelude really did feel like a professional production, and being that it was produced by hollywood professionals really came through.
    I tried watching ST:NV a couple times but I could never get into it for more than a few minutes at a time.

5. fireproof78

I think you make an interesting point regarding NV feeling like expensive dress-up. I think that is part of the reason that a fan production will never feel like an official production due to that feeling of them existing in the shadow of official productions.

That's really my point of divergence between fan and official. Fan productions are often existing in the shadow of the original shows, attempting to emulate storytelling from a past era that may be difficult to recreate.

This is not to disparage any production whatsoever and kudos to groups that dedicate the time and resources to creating bridge sets and uniform material, and the like. I just feel like holding fan productions to official standards is forcing them to try too hard to achieve a level of sophistication and then being disappointed because they couldn't make it.

Maybe it is just me :shrug:

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

No, he didn't say NV. He said STC.

7. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Although I wouldn't say these were the best steaks, I miss getting steaks at USA Steakhouse (and buffet) in Kearney, NE, when a couple of my old bands went on touring gigs. :)

8. fireproof78

Thank you for the correction. My thoughts were all over the place and I was sure I was going to mess something up.

9. Jedman67

I did say STC, because it was the only series production that hooked me, that I could lose myself and just watch the show. I attempted a few times to watch NV, and while the production quality is superb, the acting...feels like acting. I see the actors, not the characters, and while i'm sure they've improved since, I could never get into it.

Edit: To clarify; both STC and NV "feel" like watching fanfilms to me, more or less; but of the two STC has that edge in production quality that can make me forget i'm watching a fanfilm sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  10. fireproof78

Your clarification is also appreciated.

Personally, I have the utmost respect for fan productions and the work that goes in to them. But, I don't look to them to entertain me like a Hollywood or "official" production would.

I don't know how to explain it, but there is a tone to the production that feels different to me. This isn't to disparage fan films because I enjoy them very much.

It just feels unnecessary, to me, to stack them up against official productions, whose tone and resources are different in their application.

11. martok2112

I think, honestly, I really do try to watch fan-productions like I do a regular movie or show...with one simple criteria: Entertain me.

Not everyone has access to the same resources as others when it comes to making fan works. It's kinda like a video game.... it's not always about the graphics, but the gameplay (and sometimes, the story if it is a story-driven game).

It also hearkens to the notion that "visual effects alone cannot sell a movie". Sometimes, some of those folks who do not have access to high quality CG or practical model making, and set building make up for their visual/technical shortcomings by crafting a zinger of a story.

Granted, if you have really, truly lousy visuals (a plastic starship model hung by string against a hand drawn space back drop with a basketball representing a planet), ill-fitting uniforms (when's the last time you saw a tailor, buddy), and people who couldn't act their way out of a paper bag (psst....once more, this time with feeling!) ...then, yeah, sometimes even the story, whilst well written, could be unwittingly sabotaged. But thankfully, such occurrences seem fewer and further between now.

12. Jedman67

On the contrary, I have little interest in watching a youtube video of a couple of kids playing dress up and pretending that their living room is the bridge of the enterprise (which i did plenty of as a kid :)). If I'm going to be interested in watching, I want something that will stack up with a professional production. I have very little spare time for watching TV and such, and i'd rather not watch "star trek" at all than watch "fanfilm quality" star trek. Not withstanding that i like to keep an open mind about these things.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  13. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

The trend of late here seems to be though that where once constructive criticism was encouraged and actually in some cases requested, even that can be trounced upon and shouted down by the overly sensitive pack mentality of the fans and fan filmmakers who simply cannot abide anything other than universal adoration.

I sincerely hope that even the most bluntly stated of constructive comments will not be censored simply because they are not accolades.

14. martok2112

Agreed.

We've seen lots of fan film makers (and even their "fans") get overly bothered just because someone took the time out to even constructively criticize their work. Yeah...that's a shame.

It's one thing to have a drive by: "Your movie sucks!" comment without explaining why one thinks it sucks. Those are understandably targets for elimination from the comments section by the makers.

It's another thing if someone actually takes the time to thoughtfully, (and, as you mentioned, with perhaps brutal honesty) constructively criticize the work. If the makers cannot accept that, then they probably have no business making fan works in the first place.

The nice thing about constructive criticism is that the purpose of it is to suggest ways one might improve upon their product. As a friend of mine once said: "Don't bring up a problem if you don't have a solution in mind. Otherwise, you're just bellyaching."

15. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Constructive criticism is always welcome. We just released a new short a couple of weeks ago and we'd always welcome thoughtful, constructive criticism. :)

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I base my critique on how much the fan film is pushed. If it's touted as a potential pilot, or "professional quality!" production, I will judge it as such. If it's presented as a labor of love, and a "we did our best," I will usually judge it by different, more accommodating standards. Along those lines, claims of professional quality will always trump "labor of love," "we did our best," and "it's only a fan film," because "professional quality" isn't something you just say, because that is from where I will seat my critique.

So if someone were to tout "professional quality!" only for the film to be received poorly, and then they followed it up with "labor of love, et. al" the latter will fall on deaf ears. Don't say you have a lion, and then backpedal when it turns out to be just a mop and a coat rack.

17. martok2112

Well told! :)

18. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh.

:cardie: Sometimes I wonder what forum it is that you're reading, man.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Methinks Karzak means the Axanar threads on this forum.

20. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I hope not, that would be a rather delusional account of them (in that Karzak was certainly the opposite of being "censored" or "trounced" or ganged-up-on in any of those threads, hopefully he doesn't see being disagreed with as the equivalent of any of those things).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015