1. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I know they had at least one episode that hit on it, the one where Nurse Chapel bought a love potion from Harry Mudd.

Harry. Freaking. Mudd.

This woman has a medical degree.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In her defence, she wasn't fully qualified at this point. That's some pretty childish storytelling right there though. Grim.

3. JonnyQuest037

I meant her nursing degree.

4. Pauln6

Nurses didn't have nursing degrees in the sixties. Technically, she had a biology degree, possibly a bio-medical research degree (they do exist apparently) and probably used that alongside Starfleet officer training and a nursing course to secure her posting.

Korby's background set her up to have an interesting suite of possible qualifications: xenoarchaeology, reverse engineering alien technology, experimental research, or xenoanthropology. We only ever see tiny glimpses when she helps out McCoy in disease of the week shows, occasionally challenges a diagnosis, or displays some knowledge of robotic engineering. Even expressing an opinion about the pyramid on Miramanee's planet or postulating the effects of alien technology in Turnabout Intruder would have been an improvement. I like sciency Chapel better than hand me a hypo Chapel.

5. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

My first, and still favorite, experience with a Trek Fan Edit is still the Jack Marshall cut of the fifth movie. Its redesigned as a pilot episode, with commercial breaks and some classic cues inserted, and some of the more bothersome stuff removed. It has an excellent flow, and highlights the best of the movie; The only downside is the low resolution in the only copy I've ever located.

I also have a cut of The Menagerie, without the Cage in it, so if you are watching from the beginning, you don't have to double up all of those scenes in the first season.

6. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am compelled to argue point. My sister is a nurse (retired). Nursing had a degree in the sixties. It was an associate's degree, meaning two years study. As nursing duties became recognized and formalized through the '70s, nursing requirements changed, and the degree became four year (full BS). The thing is, only charge nurses needed the degree in the '60s, as they were in charge of the other nurses, and needed to know what they were doing. The rest could get by with the lesser courses, which by the '80s were no longer even offered. Remember candy stripers? They don't have those anymore, because the duties they had are now assigned to RNs, mainly because they're required to have the degree to dispense medications, along with the other duties the candy stripers did.

Kor, JonnyQuest037 and Pauln6 like this.
  7. Pauln6

Thanks! So technically since Chapel was in charge and likely an ensign (Roddenberry suggested she was a brevet or provisional ensign) she might have spent two years at the Academy studying nursing, or have had a partial medical degree alongside her biomedical qualification.

I think given how quickly she qualified as an MD and she seems to have rushed to get on board to get to Korby, and that Gene suggested her Starfleet training was incomplete, the latter may be more likely to be true. it implies 5 year missions are rare, dangerous, and not overly popular.

However, wasn't Korby missing for two years? She could easily have switched focus to get aboard when she learned a ship would be going there and then finished her original training when the mission was done I guess.

8. JonnyQuest037

In my mind Chapel was already working on her MD when she signed on to the Enterprise. That's how she was able to complete her certification in the 2 1/2 years between TOS and TMP. Heck, maybe she was continuing her studies offscreen via a correspondence course or something.
    Five years, according to the episode transcript.
    BTW, I'm of the opinion that Roger Korby was also in Starfleet in some capacity, since he seems to be in an old style Starfleet uniform in the photo we see of him early in the episode.

Spocko likes this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I would think her degree in bio-research would also have a degree attached.

10. JonnyQuest037

Perhaps it did. I was still talking about her nursing career.

11. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Captain Ramhart, and his second in command, Tom Nellis and of course Captain Merrik also wore such uniforms and none of them were in Starfleet! :techman:
    JB

12. JonnyQuest037

All of those folks were in the merchant service.

13. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Roger Korby was required to wear the uniform while being ferried to Exo-Three by a science ship in the merchant service? Although other scientists that the Enterprise has picked up and taken to specific planets have retained their own clothing rather than adapting to Starfleet uniforms!
    JB

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  14. Pauln6

The learning program has a fair way to go but, given that I just want to smooth out lip sync and I can use layers to keep her original face, I thought I'd upload a work in progress. This scene looks like the technology should work quite well. I think the interim results for the scene in Kirk's quarters are less satisfactory. Her chin movements are very disjointed. I may have bitten off more than I can chew there.

15. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Sorry I haven't been online to give my input, but I completely dig the concept of the "Eden" planet with its traps and poison being the same guarded planet where Flint, a human who traces himself back to the dawn of man, has gone to retire. It makes entirely too much sense, and the cuts made were very daring and creative. Its not always the smoothest ride with the audio, but for creativity and concepts, it was pretty perfect. The way the "disease" from the second episode was connected to the "carrier" from the first episode was ingenious. I actually haven't finished the second episode, so I'm not sure if there are a lot more cuts coming, or if the second episode plays out normally.

Ever think about trying to cut "City on the Edge" with "Mirror Mirror" ? After McCoy changes the timeline, they witness the Mirror timeline, and have to go back to fix the timeline?

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  16. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for your feedback!
    Ooh the City/Mirror idea sounds good, although the problem with that is Spock is on the planet with Kirk in City but not in Mirror, and McCoy isn't part of the landing party in City, but is in Mirror...
    What did you think to my new footage?

17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ramart and Nellis were totes in Starfleet, and Merik was a wannabe dropout who wore the equivalent of a second-hand Army Surplus flak jacket.

18. FormerLurker

Ramart and his first officer were Merchant Marines. Nellis is the guy that Charlie 'disappeared' in the rec room, and is therefore full Starfleet.

19. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. FormerLurker

Somehow the two characters have been conflated, probably at the source. As noted in the entry for "Sam", James Blish called him Sam Ellis, as that was the name given the character in the early draft script Blish used for reference. By the time the episode was referenced in background materials like "The Making of Star Trek" by Stephen Whitfield and "The World of Star Trek" by David Gerrold, they were using call sheets and the like to attempt to fill in the gaps. When they found the name Tom Nellis, they assumed it was Sam renamed; indeed, one of those books actually stated that to be the case (I don't remember which one). If I'm wrong, and I'll admit it if I am, that earlier error by others is responsible, as I'm just using that information as my source.