F1 2012 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by MacLeod, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Monaco is bulletproof. Italy, Britain and Germany are all fairly secure largely because of where the teams & some key manufacturers and sponsors are based. So yeah, those are all safe, I'd say.

Spa is constantly under threat, saved only because it's a driver/team/fan favourite. Money could outweigh that in future. Hungary would definitely be in the firing line if a race needed cutting.

Spain and the European GP in Valencia are safe for now because of Alonso's popularity, but when he retires, one of those will probably be under threat if crowd numbers fall and sponsors preferred another race in, say, the USA.

2. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they're going to cut European races, it'd better be for American (the whole thing, not just the USA) ones, and not yet more pointless Middle/Far Eastern ones. Perhaps a Mexican one? I bet the locals would be all over it, especially with Perez now joining a top team.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

The old Mexico GP track was kind of fun IIRC. Though I'm sure they'd need a new one if it returned.

F1 is a money game these days. Not sure it was ever really different, mind you, but it's certainly it's very financially driven now. If Perez does well, Mexico will definitely be on the agenda (IIRC, Bernie actually announced that F1 would return to Mexico some years ago, and nothing ever happened). Get Carlos Slim or someone like that to bankroll it! :D

The various Far Eastern Grand Prix are absolutely vital to F1's future. The Middle Eastern ones a little less so, but they indirectly help subsidise the rest of the season. The USA has similar potential.

In truth, though, I think F1 has the balance about right at the moment. Races in every continent, with a fairly broad range of sponsors and drivers. Add 1-2 more USA races, eliminate Hungary, and the balance feels about right.

Just let the teams test more within the season to compensate for its longer length.

4. Geckothan

They might bring in the money, but the Middle/Far Eastern races don't bring in the enthusiastic crowds like the 'proper' races do (aside from Japan, which is the only Far Eastern race at a proper track in a proper country with a proper motorsport heritage, and therefore is a proper race). Some of these new tracks are completely deserted, even on race day. It's pathetic.

Maybe if F1 as a whole stopped wasting money, it wouldn't need to taint itself by making deals with shady people in shady countries.

The USA race definitely look successful in terms of attendance, though, and I bet the sponsors loved it. That's what F1 needs, more races in countries that actually care about motorsport!

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'll reserve judgement on the US GP, until a few races have been run there and the attendances hold.

But I agree some of these new circuits are dull.

6. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about the Indian track? Do people find it dull? I rather liked it.

7. Geckothan

The track looks to have potential, but the race this year was very dull.

8. Geckothan

Vettel DNF (hopefully his alternator will go pop) and Hamilton/Alonso 1-2 on Sunday please!

9. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

it's meant to be rainy tomorrow so who knows what'll happen. i want massa to win the race, but that doesnt seem likely.

10. Geckothan

Maybe the Ferrari Intelligence Agency could hack Vettel's ECU and make the alternator go pop themselves, if it doesn't happen anyway.

The ECU essentially has an FIA 'rootkit' on it that filters all I/O operations. Just because the teams don't have two-way telemetry, doesn't mean the facility isn't there, and that the FIA can't use it. Presumably if they can get privileged access to the ECU over radio, then they can do whatever they want to it, e.g. tweak certain parameters outside the ranges allowed by the ECU programs, or replace them with malicious ones that run anyway because they're signed. They could easily blow someone's alternator up with that.

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

that would be cheating. which would be tedious and pathetic to do.

12. Geckothan

Yeah, but if the FIA do it, then nobody would find out, and the right man would win the championship!

13. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the right man will win the championship. and we'll find out who he is tomorrow.

(actually i think hamilton was the right man this year. unfortunately his cars been too dodgy)

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^and a few dodgy pit-stops as well. I suspect if it wasn't for all the team errors Hamilton would still be in the fight. I think he's lost over 100 points due to factors beyond his control. Still it's looking good for MacLaren if it's a dry race.

And from some parts of the interviews I say about this being Lewis's last race for MacLaren, it seems as if MacLaren would have himback instantly. Perhaps regrets they've let one of the best drivers on the grid go.

I'm not a huge fan of either of the title contenders, but I think Alonso would be the better Champion as he's had to really push that Ferrari to the limit and beyond.

15. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, it's a McLaren 1-2. Fitting farewell by Hamilton to his team.

Meanwhile, Vettel is on 4th and Alonso on 8th. I suspect we're going to see some great driving by both later today.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Vettel has more to lose by trying a risky overtake than Alonso.

17. Geckothan

So, almost time. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing that stupid finger, that stupid smug face, and hearing a generic 'YES WE DID IT THANKYOU BOIZ RING DINGDINGDING DING DING DING' over the radio from Vettel this evening, unfortunately, but we can still hope for otherwise!

18. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Haha, German tv commentators are unhappy. :)

19. Geckothan

He's about to do it. Lame!

20. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

"This race has summarised the 2012 season" says the commentator- yeah, a Safety Car granting Vettel the glory. That's 2012 all fucking right.

Still, lovely race win for Jenson. Felipe Massa's best result in ages too - maybe this year as a whole, I don't remember when we last saw him on the podium.