F1 2012 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by MacLeod, Dec 12, 2011.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well at least the stewards have been consistant with their decisions this time.

Still might make the race interswting and more importantly the drivers championship.

As for Alonso 3rd or 4th should be achievable. Vettel might sneek a few points as well.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Lotus finally gets the long awaited 1st place that they have been threatening to do for some of the season.

I think Vettel needs to change his name to Lucky.

2 Safety Car incidents.

Several of the lead cars ahead of him retiring.

And Perez getting a stop/go the 2nd time we've seen that penalty this year, but I think if there had only been one incident he would have just gotten a drive through. But it looks like he was peanlised for forcing another car of the track (Di Resta) and causing a collision.

3. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Vettel's result was 99.99999% down to luck, really. All the Vettel fanboys will try and maintain otherwise, but it's the truth.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I wouldn't go down to 99.99% luck, but if there hadn't been for the 2 SC incidents and several of the cars ahead either failling or tripping over each other he might have got as high as 7th.

5. Geckothan

If they didn't pit Webber when they did in order to get him out of the way, Vettel could have easily been one of the victims in that midfield carnage. If only...

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

What an awesome race!

I woke up around lunchtime and decided to just tune into the first couple of laps of the race before getting ready for the day; I didn't stop watching until the chequered flag.

Great racing throughout, plenty of action and drama, and I'm delighted to see Kimi win. I loved his attitude during the race when talking to his race engineer: "leave me alone, I know what to do" after being told he was going to be kept constantly informed about the gap to the driver behind; "yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I'm doing all that" when being advised to keep the tyres warm behind the safety car; and then of course, his rather colourful language on the podium. He's a sponsor's nightmare, but it makes for hilarious TV. :D

Hamilton's bad luck continues, but I don't think he'll care much as he's already thinking about Mercedes next year. Vettel did very well with an extraordinary mix of good & bad luck, and Alonso was consistent as usual. Overall, Vettel will be breathing a sigh of relief and Alonso will feel this was a lost opportunity. It's a shame Austin won't be live on the BBC; it looks like a great track and could be a great race.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Kimi's radio messages were some of the highligts of the race.

Yes, Yes I know what I'm doing. (and he did)

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it's almosy Grand Prix weekend and once again F1 returns to the USA. At least with a sole tyre supplier we shouldn't have a repeat of the farce of 2005.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I wonder if replicas of the t-shirt will come available...

10. Geckothan

Whole championship is pretty much ruined at this point unless Vettel has a big smash tomorrow and has to miss Brazil. Booooooo!

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it's a rather familiar line-up for the first 3 at the US GP.

Vettel, Hamilton and Webber.

Even without his issues it seems as if JB didn't have the pace to compete with Lewis.

Of course next year McLaren will be without one of the best drivers in the world (or who are considerd the top which most people place as Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso).

Sure the stats might not say Lewis has outclassed Jenson, when you compare points, DNF's etc.. but they only tell half the story. Lewis is usually ahead of Jenson when he has his DNF's, so Jenson actually gains points when Lewis is forced to retire.

12. Geckothan

Agreed. Hamilton would have run away with the championship by now without all the car failures/idiots smashing into him/pit-stop blunders. Button has been absolutely nowhere in terms of pace for most of the year.

I wouldn't put Vettel up there with Hamilton or Alonso, though. Not even close. Vettel is quick, but he's not even in the same league as those guys overall. He only wins when he's in the best car and everything goes his way (which it usually does, and every time he gets a bit of bad luck, like at Abu Dhabi, he still ends up with big boost of good luck to compensate for it, e.g. safety cars and idiots up ahead of him playing bumper cars and letting him catch up). If he ends up winning the championship (which is likely), it'll be a sad day for motor sport. Schumi might have been even more dominant and annoying in his day, but at least he was a proper driver and had already proven himself in lesser cars (like some of the mediocre ones he had to drive when he first joined Ferrari). Vettel lucked into one win with a crap Toro Rosso and then suddenly became Christian Horner's little wunderkind. Urgh... insufferable.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Oh I agree, Hamilton and Alonso are the class of the field. Vettel likes to race from the front, and I'm still not convinced of his overtaking abilites despite Singapore, where he lucked into 2 Safety Car incidents and others ahead of crashing or retiring. Without all of those he might have sneaked into the points instead of winning.

Watching the quali for the US GP, it looked like Lewis out drove the car.

14. Geckothan

It's a shame that Hamilton and Alonso never got on well as teammates, and that Adrian Newey left McLaren for Red Bull, as those three together in one team would be absolutely unstoppable. Vettel would be fighting hard just for points, let alone victories or championships, without a Newey-designed car.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Alonso and Hamilton might get better on as team mates today, than they did in 2007.

Though Newey is by far the best desinger currently out there, as the Mercedes engine seems to be better than the Reanult one.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Boring Vettel procession to claim the triple, then. Makes it easier to not mind not having it live.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You never know, his altenator might fail.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it looks like Ferrari are breaking the spirit of the rules, by having Massa demoted 5 places by breaking a seal. So that Alonso can start on the otherside of the grid.

19. Geckothan

Not as bad as the cheating that RBR get away with all the time.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

No doubt the FIA will do nothing about this blatent attempt to manipulate the result.