Extended episodes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Terok Nor, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I read somewhere there are extended versions of some of the episodes but I haven't been able to phrase the search words correctly to find out more information.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?:confused:

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only extended episode I know is Measure of a Man which was on the Season 2 blu ray set.

3. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There was also the extended movie version of All Good Things released on VHS. The Blu Ray just has this plotline as deleted scenes.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Martha Hackett stuff was released as an All Good Things... Movie? I get the thing for deleted scenes, but why wasn't that included on the AGT blu ray?

5. Terok Nor

Thanks guys. I saw pictures of Deanna and Scotty together in Relics and assumed there must be other extended episodes with scenes that were not in the aired versions.

I didn't know there was a movie version of All Good Things featuring Martha Hackett. I'm familar with the feature length version that aired in 1994 and is on the DVD set and the 2 part version that airs in syndication without a couple of scenes but I had no idea there was a 3rd version. I'll have a lookout for that one.

6. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In the UK all the two parters were edited together to make movie versions for VHS releases. For AGT they edited the deleted scenes in to make it special otherwise it would have been the same as the regular release.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Not true. The UK home release (VHS) was originally the cut-down two parter version, then another VHS followed afterwards with the full length version. The DVD version (both the season set, and the "movies" collection) is the normal, movie-length version.

The Martha Hackett material is newly released, the Blu-ray is the first home format to feature it in any way.

8. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Could you maybe be thinking of a couple episodes where deleted scenes were found and put up (over at Trekcore, I think) back in their episodes?

9. Terok Nor

I think that's what it is. I assumed the episodes had been extended somehow but obviously I'm wrong.

10. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

There was a scene in Relics that was written, shot and produced but was cut at the last minute for time. That's probably what you saw the stills from.

11. Terok Nor

You're correct. I'd love to see that scene. Apparently it's 8 minutes long.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

On the Blu-ray. :)

13. Terok Nor

Thanks Tosk:bolian:

I might start dropping a few hints about the Blu-ray collection since my birthday is coming up soon:lol:

14. Terok Nor

Reading about the deleted scenes I've just discovered to my surprise that Marina Sirtis filmed scenes for Birthright Part 2 and Rightful Heir but they were cut out. That meant Troi didn't appear in those episodes at all which is a shame. I also noticed Geordi actually appeared on screen in a deleted scene from Tapestry instead of just doing a voiceover. I wonder how many more times in Star Trek a cast member was completely cut out of an episode.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Relics even includes a scene (on the Blu-ray) with Sirtis and Doohan, where Troi is trying to counsel Scotty over his trip through time and the thought that a number of his friends have passed away. Ultimately that scene was cut, and Troi only appears at the end of the episode where Scotty is getting on the shuttle, which kind of doesn't make sense if she had nothing to do with Scotty during the entire episode (I guess Picard could've ordered all his command staff to the shuttle bay and Troi was following orders).

But, speaking of Scotty, back on the Season 3 Blu-Ray for TOS there is an alternate cut version of Where No Man Has Gone Before that features different shots and even 1960's type Act openings on the episode, and even a different opening credits sequence.

17. Terok Nor

I read about the alternate cut of WNMHGB but I didn't know it was available to view. The Blu-Ray extras are far superior to those on the DVDs I own:klingon:

The next time they release the shows they should put all the deleted scenes back into the episodes. I'd love to watch Relics with that Troi/Scotty scene left in.

18. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The deleted scenes for TNG, even what we see on the Blu-Rays were not color corrected, and in some cases, especially early on in Seasons 1 - 4 were taken from VHS. Even the Season 1 gag reel looks like it is from a mix of 4th and 5th generation VHS.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yes, they are not high quality, integrated scenes but, they DO exist. They were found too late in most cases to put on the blurays.

RAMA