Exeter Act Three Has Been Released

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Valley Forge

Valley Forge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi Guys,

I wasn't really serious, just making a quickie joke...

In all seriousness, I noted the asthetic differences, especially in the special effects.

NV seems to want take the ships and designs and produce effects using modern techniques, giving the effects that "2007 look" . Farragut seems to follow this mold, from what little I've seen.

OTOH, Exeter tries to recreate the EFFECTS of TOS, using moden methods. It's a very subtle difference. While I applaud NV production values, especially for WEAT, I have to give a nod to Exeter for their artistic sensibilities. The third act, as the big E approaches the "pod" was an example of classic TOS effects made modern. Very cool.

Vf

2. Horizon

Horizon Commander Red Shirt

I agree, but the story did a fine job of showing that Capt. Garrovick does not share his thoughts with his friends like Capt. Kirk did (and all the following series captains). So all that's left is extended narration or flashbacks for this character.
    Considering it's character driven and not merely done for coolness, I don't think I'd find a flashback particularly jarring in Starship Exeter.
    ...obviously not in this story, but in future.

It's funny, I was blocking out a story in my head and the sharing of information during a briefing just seemed natural UNTIL I watched the this third act. Nice touch on showing a different character to a Starfleet Captain.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the extended narration is something we had to add during post-production because our options for fixing problems with that scene were limited at the time.

Plus, I didn't want to do any flashbacks.

4. flcat

flcat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow...when I clicked on Act Three and actually got a video, I almost wet myself. I didn't think this Act was as strong as the first two as far as pacing, but it was still very good.

5. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a question and it may be counted as...strange but here goes: why does the actor that plays Cutty sweat so much in his scenes? I haven't noticed this on any of the other actors.

6. mredom

mredom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Outstanding work! I can't wait for act 4.

I think the result was worth the wait-the attention to detail is very impressive, and the editing is also quite good.

I hope there's more to come after act four, I would hate to see it end!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

MRE

7. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

You should be so lucky.

8. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That isn't sweat. It's condensation.

That's how cool he is.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Or...he's just a "hot man". LOL

10. Admiral Buzzkill

There was no air conditioning on the soundstage. Even shooting at night, it was pretty hot.

Most of the actors had lived for years in the Austin area. They were more used to the heat. "Cutty" and "B'Fuselek" hail from Minnesota.

B'Fuselek didn't sweat because we kept him in a container of dry ice between shots. That blue wasn't makeup.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gee - and all this time I thought he was just terribly anemic. :p ;)

12. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anybody know if TTI will be the Exeter groups last outing or if they are planning to do more shows? Certainly, they are not as prolific as some groups, but they more than make up for it in quality. I would hate for this to be the end of the road for them.

13. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

It'd be a pity to have all those sets and nothing to do with them.

Wonder how much an old warehouse costs up here....

14. Slappy The Vulcan

Slappy The Vulcan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That was an unfair cliffhanger!!! I have to agree with everyone else though, AMAZING production, It totally floors me that this a fanfilm. Great Job Guys!

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Please keep in mind that I'm remembering from something I read several years ago and that it could be incorrect or that the plans have changed since then.

As I recall, the original plan was to shoot two episodes simultaneously -- "The Tressaurian Intersection" and another titled "The Atlantis Invaders". That didn't happen though, so I don't know if it will or if there's something else down the line from Jimm & Josh.

I *do* know that over at the Exeter forums there are a BUNCH of guys writing writing writing all kinds of various "filler episode" stories to take place along the timeline of Exeter, between "The Savage Empire" and the proposed finale Jimm & Josh had devised years ago.

Whether or not any of it is produced --either in fan film form or otherwise-- beyond "Tressaurian" is not something I am privvy to.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Thanks, everyone.

The producers plan to make more episodes.

17. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

If anyone is interested, there is an official Starship Exeter comic. You can find it here.

Home is not a Place

It was made with full co-operation and input from Josh and Jimm.

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    ^ and it is damn good!

19. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Indeed, I love that comic!

20. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is awesomeness, and hopefully the whole will make it worth the wait.

My one question is the Andorian guy. He looks perpertually about to throw up, and I'm not talking about his makeup. That, and he always looks so draped over his console, not sitting upright like everyone else. Perhaps it's because the actor is very tall and lanky for the set, but it still looks so awkward to me... Nothing against his acting, though.

Mark