Excelsior Technical Manual - Revived!

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Praetor, Mar 23, 2009.

1. thedude

thedude Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ouch. I had an HP laptop die on me last year, they refused to fix it, so now I'm leading a class action against them for a bunch of money :-) Good luck!

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Whoa. Are you, seriously?

3. thedude

Yup. There's a number of class actions against them right now for laptops with nVidia chipsets. A simple google search should tell you all you need to know.

4. thedude

5. Praetor

Thanks on all counts, thedude. :)

6. thedude

My pleasure... there's a surprising amount of literature online now regarding ships... I wish the internet was what it is now when I was really into starship design, I probably would have went into engineering instead of marketing in college.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Oh god, not the Ingram.

8. Praetor

Not a fan?

9. thedude

I always like those phaser cannons on the warp nacelle pylons, I thought it looked tough.

10. noknowes

noknowes Lieutenant Commander

A Star Trek novel explained in great detail why transwarp drive was a failure.The crew suffered from micro distortions in local space causing madness.The effect could not be negated and also caused them to go partially into a different continuum.

I cannot remember the name but it was published in the time period after Star Trek III was released, possibly about within a 5 year time frame.

Can anybody remember the novel's title?

11. thedude

No, but I do remember the VOY episode "Threshold" that had to do with breaking the Warp 10 barrier (sometimes referred to as Transwarp) and our friend Tom Paris had some interesting side effects. I'd say what you're describing is pretty close to canon... but still grain of salt territory.

12. thedude

Bump... Preator, you still alive buddy? I was thinking, when you wrap this up, you want to tag team an Ambassador class manual with me? I've always loved that class... and there's not a lot of good material out there on it.

13. Praetor

Ha, yeah, I'm here. I haven't had a chance to do much more. And I would be interested in doing an Ambassador one, as I do have some specific notions about it, assuming I can finish the Excelsior one first. The real hangup is the graphics (i.e. deckplans, schematics, etc.) that I want to produce myself, which right now I just don't have time for.

14. librarytrekker78

librarytrekker78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Bumping thread and patiently waiting for more of the Excelsior Class Tech Manual from Praetor.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished reading the historical background...amazing stuff and it fits nicely into the movies and books. President Sulu? Is that from a novel or your own creation? Either way I like Hikaru's fate. I'll be going over the technical data over the next couple of days. Are you planning on doing something similar for other ship classes or just focusing on Excelsior right now?

16. RapidNadion

RapidNadion Commander Red Shirt

You have another waiting reader in me, FWIW, Praetor.

17. Praetor

I just started my new job last Monday, but it's not nearly as crappy as my last job (or being unemployed) so once I get readjusted to the schedule, I am indeed planning to come back to this.

Thanks very much. :)

Thanks, very much. If you find questions of the technical sort, please do ask them as it will give me reason to think about this, which will in turn make me want to work on it more. :rommie:

I believe the idea of President Sulu came from one of the novels, though I don't recall which one. Originally I wanted to leave Sulu's fate ambiguous since it wasn't canon or anything, but the dramatic opportunity presented itself rather organically to have the ship retired as he died, and sort of link them, and it was too good to pass up. (Also, I somewhat hate the idea of all the TOS crew either being "immortal" or staying in Starfleet their whole lives.)

And, I would like to do something similar for some other classes, though perhaps not quite to the deckplans extent.

It's worth a lot, RapidNadion. :)

18. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it's the series with the twisty screen that turns into a tablet, count me in, too. Wireless went dead first, then the whole thing wouldn't power on.

19. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Praetor, I really like this project and am looking forward to the end result.

The only suggestions I have are to:

1) Lighten up on poor Styles. It doesn't seem proper for the writers of a tech manual to be criticizing a Captain's career. But, to account for his disappearance and Sulu's commission of the ship... perhaps Styles was killed by way of an accident related to the transwarp failure, leading to the project being shut down?

2) Trim down the Ambassador and Galaxy stuff. This ain't their tech manual :)

Sorry if someone's mentioned these things already, I more or less skimmed past most people's posts besides yours.

Edit: One more suggestion... I'd replace the 'federation news service' as just a general press corps. The press shouldn't be entwined with government in a free society. :techman:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  20. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Styles and the Excelsior between TSFS to TUC are in Forged in Fire.