Excelsior neck details.

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Robert Morgan, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The forward and rear torpedo launchers have identical detailing in the "nozzles". This area does not, so for my money it is something else.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

3. trekfan39

trekfan39 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But if you look at the upper areas detail you see that it doesn't match the detail on the torpedo tubes both front and back. The only reason people think they are torpedo tubes is because of the inaccurate MSD on the E-B bridge which was made ten years after the model and not by the guys who designed the ship which is one of the reason I don't buy into them being tubes that and the fact that we are used to torpedo tubes being the ships neck. I could pick out a few other thing wrong with that MSD like shuttles parked in the new impulse engines.

4. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

The Enterprise B's additional saucer impulse engines were originally intended dual shuttle bays but were changed on the model after the bridge scenes with the MSD were filmed.

5. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Only if you look closely at the above photographs that I've linked you'll see that the upper torpedo launchers do match the detail on the torpedo launchers both fore and aft.

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same conclusion I came to. The details on the fwd secondary hull and the aft details both have a hole in the middle as well as radial ribs. The details on the neck do not have ribs, and most importantly, there is no hole in the middle.

From http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=2932:

137th Gebirg likes this.
  7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Yeah, those things in the neck have no holes, the actual photorp launchers do.

Though there are things next to the aft launchers that look like the things in the neck. Maybe mega-phasers? :)

publiusr likes this.
  8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

USS Excelsior does not appear to have these, just doors of some kind.

Could they instead be some new anti-cloaking system? Counter the newer Klingon cloaking devices and worry the Romulas enough for things to get hostile by 2311?

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Those "areas" are there on the Excelsior, just not well lit on any of the pics I'm seeing.

10. trekfan39

Correct Excelsior had the same detail it was just painted a dark blue and on screen it just looked like to black areas on the neck.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That site had a blueprint of that model but I think it was taken down.

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I'm thinking that they are next-generation upgrades of the "Space-Energy Field Attraction Sensors", similar to the three objects of the same name surrounding the Enterprise's main navigational deflector, and the same three objects on the Reliant (2 on the upper primary hull against the rear superstructure "slant" - #10 on the callouts - and 1 on the top of the rollbar pod - #11 on the callouts). Excelsior has no obvious analogue around its main navigational deflector and these two objects are facing forward like the earlier versions were. There really is no reason for having an extra set of launchers higher up, with a more limited arc of fire and a greater chance of blasting the lower dome off while firing (or, at least, cooking it really good). And, has said by others, the lower launchers are identically detailed to the aft launchers. Four launchers in front is overkill. As militant as Starfleet became in the late 23rd, they still considered themselves an organization of peaceful exploration. It's most likely some kind of sensor array/platform.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  13. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Cadet Newbie

They look nothing like launchers and I doubt they'd throw another pair just above the main ones, especially so close to the underside of the dish. They could be sensors but there's already a massive sensor on the bottom of the dish. Considering the unique design of the neck and how it doesn't look like there's any access panels or doors due to the "ribbing", I'd like to think they're some kind of refueling ports.

14. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I think it might be more likely it was just simply leftover parts from Star Wars kits and they thought, "Hey, that might look cool in the dorsal!"

Looks like the dorsal is ribbed for her protection. Or something like that...

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

There is a part of me that thinks that maybe they are plates.

During saucer sever--those ports can fire forward--or maybe off to the side. The ship can turn a but--and the weapons (assuming that's what they are) get a good shot.

During sever--the neck plates scatter like chaff, cutting into any following ships--maybe forming a segmented dish...

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

About the TTA Hornet
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1294840
    https://i1.wp.com/www.fistsofheaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/AAF212Hornetcopy.jpg

The two upper laserlances were mounted at a pronounced angle to the directional line of the hull, permitting the ship making the attack to begin its escape turn fractionally before firing.

I'm thinking Excelsior does this before a turn.

Maybe DC's tracing phasers?

So help me--but I seem to remember Vengence's weapons arcing around to hit Pine's ship.

17. Robert Morgan

Robert Morgan Ensign Newbie

You guys are gonna hate me. The gentleman I'm CADding up some Excelsior parts for (this will likely be the most detailed plastic Excelsior model out there, with TONS of scratchbuilt, modded and 3D printed parts, a total rework of the old Lunar Models kit) apparently knows some people who know some people who know people in the know. In the interim between me starting this thread and now, he was able to obtain plans and descriptions of what those parts actually are from VFX sources that shouldn't be named. I'm not altogether sure why all of the cloak and dagger, but I'm going to absolutely respect it. I'm not allowed to divulge anything (yet, I will when if and when I'm able) but they are neither cargo hatches nor torpedo tubes, nor anything else that has been suggested. They're meant to be something else entirely, but a "something else" that neatly fits within the Trek universe. That's all I can say, and again, my apologies for teasing. I'm not trying to, it's just that I have to play Sgt. Schultz - "I know nothing. NOTHING!"

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

M'kay...

My money is still on Space-Energy Field Attraction Sensors but I'm looking forward to hearing what this interesting new game of telephone will render. :)

19. trekfan39

Since I also have some of your 3D printed parts on my Excelsior model can you at least tell me!

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Tractor beams?