Spoilers Everyday life on earth

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by robau, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Is this supposed to be an excuse? We've gotten little snippets of interesting futurism in the past. They just decided not to run with it. And looking at all the prosaic planets we've trekked to among the staaaaaaaaaaars over the years, future Earth could have been far more spectacular.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It also would have looked more dated, and focus on details irrelevant to the story.

I think Gene was right to avoid Earth.

3. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does the original Constitution class have domes on the back of the nacelles, or grilles? You know what? The original Constitution class was seen for only three years (four if you include TAS) before TMP came along and introduced the much sleeker swept back pylons. I'm happy to say the TOS Enterprise always did have had swept back pylons. They just don't show up in the low resolution of 1960s TV.

It's probably easier to believe that, than twisting yourself into knots trying to explain how the TMP Enterprise is a "refit" of the TOS one, when hardly anything looks the same.

4. Arpy

More dated than TOS? It’s all still gets dated.

How is PIC not going to be dated by being less futuristic than it might?

A thousand years to create a sentient AI? Isn’t that Lore, Moriarty, the Doctor? And in the real world maybe a century away?

5. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also the Vissians in ENT with the cogenitors as a third gender.

The Wormhole likes this.
  6. fireproof78

Because it doesn't insist on calling attention to it. Earth's status is not essential to the story so leaving it be decreases risk in dating more than it already will be.

7. Arpy

This doesn’t make any sense. 1. The lack of futurism calls as much attention as any addition of futurism. 2. What’s presented is already incongruous with canon, asking us to accept another series’ alternate universe. 3. You’re suggesting that the futurism needs to be front and center as the point of the series instead of establishing setting.

8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

People don't need toilets in the future. Just replicate bedpans. Do your business and then put it back in the replicator but just don't spill any of it. That's were you get your food and drink out of as well.

Jason

9. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

They don't need toilets because they can teleport their poop and pee using transporter technology :D

10. fireproof78

I don't agree with number 1. The lack of futurism doesn't alter it to me one way or the other. The setting is preestablished as part of the Trek world.

Yes, I am suggesting the futurism needs to be front and center in a Star Trek series. This isn't a new setting or a new world to explore. Replicators, holodecks, LCARs, starships and the like are all a given. If it isn't prescient to the story then there isn't a need for it.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In some episodes it has both!! I can only conclude that those episodes take place in two different universes, the G(rill) Universe and the D(ome) Universe. I will now work out a complicated chart breaking down the each episode scene by scene to show which scenes are G and which are D. ;)

Noah_23, Paul Weaver and fireproof78 like this.
  12. Jayson1

It's also possible they don't have toilets since they don't have money to pay for them but since they are in the military they figured out how to make latrines. Let's say their was some areas of Arboretum on the Enterprise-D you did not want to spend much time at.

Jason

DaveyNY likes this.
  13. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

But what is the purpose of having 4 genders? How they reproduce?

Rather than gender, why not reproduce like Ant? Where some Alien have queen who breed, and worker do everything else?

14. fireproof78

When it comes to reproduction, one has to keep in mind that survival and passing along genetics is paramount. The more steps involved the more errors become possible. Human reproduction is certainly a complex process that can have a lot go wrong.

Brainsucker likes this.
  15. Arpy

Gilligan’s Island could be established as part of the Star Trek world if they stick Star Trek on the title. The point is, is it any good. A setting of 400 years hence without presenting 400 years hence is silly.

The futurism needs to be there to establish setting. Beyond that, the show/episode/whatever can choose to be about the tech or about character or comedy or what have you. The problem with PIC that their wardrobe dept is JC Penny circa 2005, their cities are Sci-Fi Channel circa 2010, and every single shuttle is DSC. To begin with.

So God created humans as the perfect species across the universe. Got it. ...dude, it’s a sci-fi show. Exploring reproduction (inferior, superior, and just plain different) are part and parcel.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    lawman and Longinus like this.
  16. fireproof78

Didn't say that at all, thanks.
    As opposed to all the other future fashion shown...? Sorry, but there are some things were futurism is not preferable. :barf2:

As for the cities, I'm not fussed by them. This is, after all, an Earth that just went through several wars. I don't expect them to be built up in some futuristic way. And, as per my general rule, I don't generalize one particular environment as being representative of all.

17. Arpy

You were apologizing for human reproduction being innately superior other forms you find more complicated.

Uh, wrong. They don’t wear powdered wigs and pantaloons on This is Us. Establish setting.

No it didn’t, quit using that as an excuse. If anything a war should have caused more change.

That’s a common excuse, but these are artists bringing you not a random and unrepresentative environment but presenting for you a chosen and manipulated one to represent something. Just that their something isn’t much of something. You may not “fuss” about it, but I do lament a missed opportunity to inspire.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, the more they've gotten into that kind of thing the less plausible it's seemed.

This series fits pretty comfortably with being set 20 years or so after Nemesis.

BillJ likes this.
  20. Jayson1

To me the easy fix is to avoid modern slang and enough with the emo beards. Also not sure about British and Italian sounding Romulans. It seems to me aliens should at least sound a little less human than they do.

Jason