News Europe Proposes Strict Rules for Artificial Intelligence

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Skipper, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Skipper

Skipper Commodore Commodore

Finally we will be able to read these infamous "Act of Cumberland" named in Measure of a Man :rofl:

From the Ny Times

The regulations would have far-reaching implications for tech firms like Amazon, Google, Facebook and Microsoft, which have poured resources into developing the technology.

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

It'll be interesting to see what the Boris Johnson government's position is on this. Perhaps there'll be a temptation to encourage development and deployment of AI technology in the UK that isn't permitted in the EU and elsewhere.

Skipper likes this.
  3. Skipper

Skipper Commodore Commodore

You know, a lot of sci-fi stories where AI goes mad and wants to destroy the world begin in this way...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

If it'll give us an edge commercially, if we can turn a profit, if we can make a buck.

And Goddammit, if A.I. is going to seize control and annihilate the human race, it's bloody well going to be a British A.I.

Rule Britannia !

Asbo Zaprudder and Skipper like this.
  5. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

Not like China is going to slam on there brakes on there research.
    I wouldn't want to stop development, but I wouldn't be opposed to limiting what is handled by AI.

Quote-
    The draft rules would set limits around the use of artificial intelligence in a range of activities, from self-driving cars to hiring decisions, bank lending, school enrollment selections and the scoring of exams. It would also cover the use of artificial intelligence by law enforcement and court systems — areas considered “high risk” because they could threaten people’s safety or fundamental rights.

Some uses would be banned altogether, including live facial recognition in public spaces, though there would be several exemptions for national security and other purposes. - end

Some things must continue to have a human touch to be fair. At least untill the AI has proven itself

Skipper likes this.
  6. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

So, now in Europe I would no longer be able to turn my Tesla self-driving by using weights to trick the car I was in the driver's seat and holding the wheel, while I was actually watching ENT: These Are The Voyages in the passenger seat? Damn you, Europe, damn you.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm all for the facial recognition bans and requiring oversight for AI whose decisions has ramifications on people's lives, but a lot of this is science fiction alarmism.

It's awesome though there might be people whose job it is to prove their AI won't rebel against humanity.

8. Oddish

Oddish Rear Admiral Commodore

I don't like the idea of completely autonomous AI soldiers.

Drones under human control, I can live with. Though allowing a person to kill without truly experiencing the sights, the sounds, the stink of the battlefield is problematic to an extent. But no machine should be allowed the power to actively choose to take lives.

9. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

That’s called a Tomahawk.

You might be able to spoof human control too with realtime deep fake.

Imagine a drone driver with his chips and soda “flying” over Iraq. He takes off his VR headset and goes home. His street is in ruins...his neighbors, protesting something...were the “terrorists” he just shot up...in the same pose, dead on the streets.

A redneck finds his red state friends dead. Another who thought he was shooting militia nuts wiped out a whole BLM March.

It *can* happen

The disk of MOON had a drone story in it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  10. Oddish

Oddish Rear Admiral Commodore

If we can spoof human judgment, spoofing something with no judgment whatsoever is even easier.