ESS AACHEN, XCV-770: Full Deck Blueprints Project.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ancient, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Continuing your much-needed education:
    There is absolutely zero "ego-stroking" going on here, except on your part. People TRIED TO HELP YOU. That the "help" wasn't exactly the "oh, just press this button three times, spin in a circle, recite the words to "inagaddadavida" backwards in latin, and abracadbra, you'll have your design" answer you were hoping for has no bearing on that.

You are ignorant of the proper process for doing this sort of work. You think that there's a TRICK to it. Mainly because the idea of actually doing WORK... you know, the sort of hard work that everyone who's ever done anything like this, including Ancient, had to put in... is an anathema to you.

Kiddo, this is a hobby for us. We don't need "ego-stroking." And yet, we all have actual accomplishments which we can show. You want to see "ego stroking?" Go look in the mirror.
    Your query was posted in a public forum. You might want to look up what a forum actually is, if that concept confuses you. And despite your petulant, brattish attitude, several people attempted to help you. That you don't like the help you received is your problem, not anyone else's.

And by the way... some people here know Ancient and even may know how to contact him. But... hypothetically, of course... if I knew how to contact him, I wouldn't ever DREAM of giving an obnoxious, self-entitled child that information. It would be a great disservice to a friend.
    Well, "dude," act dismissive if you want. But if you think you learned ANYTHING in "middle school" about how to do this sort of thing, you're even more ignorant of the concept we're discussing that I initially believed.

You're talking to adults here. I know it may be asking a lot, but you should try to at least PRETEND that you have the basic understanding of courtesy that adults are expected to show to each other.

You clearly don't know anything about this. You have a "McDonalds Drive-through" attitude... you want it all, you want it now, and you don't want to have to work for it.

Sorry, kiddo, but real life doesn't work that way. I'm sorry if you dislike the idea, but it's an absolute truism... if you want to achieve something, you have to work at it.

Ancient, when he was working on this project, fully understood what I'm talking about. You, frankly, do not. Ancient learned it by doing it. You, frankly, are unwilling to do so yourself.
    Which is a fair thing for someone ignorant of the process of flying to ask. But anyone who actually knows how to do so will inevitably give you the advice which you have received here...and yes, Ancient would as well.

You want him to become your "mentor and teacher?" Why would he choose to do that for you? Seriously... other than showing an inflated sense of entitlement, and being both insulting and (unreasonably and unjustifiably) demanding... what do you have to show to demonstrate you deserve ANYONE'S help?

Oh yeah... "you have a cool idea." Got it.
    You know, kiddo... prove us wrong. Seriously. If you think that you know ANYTHING about this sort of thing... if we're all wrong, and we're only here to "stroke our egos" as you keep (stupidly) saying... go prove us all wrong about the advice we've given you.

I did not say that "nobody can teach you," by the way. I DID say that you have to do the work yourself. That's the part that you seem to hate hearing.

My GOD, kid... you can't even be bothered to read the help in GIMP to figure out how to draw a straight line, or how to create concentric circles. These aren't the TRICKS... these are the "baby steps." You can find the answers to those, yourself, in two minutes by searching the program's help file!

But even that much work... just reading the @#$* instructions... it's more than you're willing to do. You want everything handed to you. You think that everyone owes you that. You think Ancient owes you that. He doesn't. Neither does anyone else.
    Well, I've given you more help than you deserve... and I AM impressed by you. But that's not a POSITIVE impression. Not even remotely.
    EVERYONE has answered your queries. You just didn't get the answer you WANTED, and now you're throwing bratty-kid temper tantrums and insulting everyone who tried to help you.

Ancient will not be responding to you, I think you can count on that. And those of us who might know how to let you reach him would never dream of insulting him by giving you any means by which you can do so.
    No, you won't be PMing him. And even if, somehow, you could, I'm confident that he wouldn't respond to you... except, perhaps, if through some strange twist of the universe he were somehow to show up here again, with a bemused dismissal.

2. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

1 warning given for trolling, based on the cumulative attitude of the posts in this thread. If these guys have earned a little leeway (some with their own warnings ;)), you haven't yet - there's no excuse for being rude to people trying to give sound advice (based on hard-won experience) in response to your questions, just because you don't like the answers.

3. Gavn

Gavn Guest

@Carey - I only had to read skim few sentences out of your posts to see that you are are just another rude little kid like sojourner or w/e his name was, but you take the fail one step further by trying Oprah Magazine level pop psycho-analysis. zzzz Anyway TL;DR, don't bother posting another raging wall of text in response because I won't read that one, either.

@Ptrope - I'm not really concerned, you can warn me all day even ban me in the end this website isn't very important especially since it's proven useless to me. No one gave me any useful advice ("drpdrp wrk hrd and u can acheeve ur dreemz!") and everyone just seems to be using this as an opportunity to be condescending and stroking their own egos ("u gotta wrk hrd and ern it liek we did, kid."). Frankly I was done with the topic (even said so) but you decided to keep it going I guess being an Internet Cop is srs bzns for you.

At any rate I learned drafting in middle school, never put it to use (I went into a medical field) and back then it was all pencil and compass and ruler, and so never learned how to do it on the computer. For instance this is why I was asking about concentric circles because in drafting you just use a compass. These programs seem to lack a compass feature. So I asked 2 simple questions that would have taken literally a single paragraph to answer but instead people needed some mental masturbation and what ensued was 3 pages of moderator sanctioned trolling and ego stroking. *shakes head* Well anyway I can't say I can really relate to anyone here on that so feel free to continue to engage in primate dominance/status posturing, like I said I'm frankly not concerned nor impressed so feel free to ban me if it makes you feel like a tough guy. My girlfriend does this sort of work for a living and she's more than willing to teach me so it works out for me either way, all things considered. ;)

4. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Damn, who peed in your Wheaties, Gavyn?

Since you can't seem to play well with others (remind me never to seek out your medical services - your bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired!), you get your wish. Bye!

5. wander

wander Cadet

I would use either Photoshop or Illustrator for this effect. Illustrator would be ideal.

1. Circles: Essentially, add a thin stroke to your pen tool (appx .25), while holding the shift key, draw your circle (obviously very basic knowledge of the program applies, which you can learn anywhere on the web). The shift key is important whether you're using PS or Illustrator, as it will keep your circle as a perfect circle shape instead of an accident oval no matter what tool you're using to do it (marquee, pen tool, etc.).
    Make a new layer, and do the same thing, and obviously make your smaller circle.

With both these circles drawn, select both layers and align. Again use a tutorial to find out how exactly to get to the align feature.

This is very simple and a very basic part of programs like these. You should pick this up in no time.

2. Rotating: In PS or Illustrator, if you have a "chair" for example you want to rotate, select the image and use your transform tool ("command T" key). You are free to rotate by degree or by moving the side of the box that encompases your object.

In PS since this is a raster program, you will notice it will lose quality as you rotate. This is unfortunately inevitable. If you use Illustrator you will have a perfect rotation, without any loss of quality whatsoever.

3. Scaling/Shading: This part will just take practice. Stick with basic light colors for now and you should be able to have a result that looks good in time.

6. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tsk Tsk Tsk, someone really needs to learn patience...
    Gavn, if you had actually taken the time to read the posts and followed some of the advice he was given, you might have actually have made some progress.

And accusing members of ego-stroking; most disrespectful...
    I can understand if you are frustrated, feeling like you aren't making any progress in your art (I've sometimes been there sometimes myself), BUT that gives you no excuse to take it out on other people. And when posting in forums, you should always show courtesy to others (yes, even when you feel you are being insulted; it is a case of being a better person), since they are taking their time to respond to your posts.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, he is trying to contact someone that hasn't posted on this board in over a year about how to do something even though his girlfriend "works in the field"?

8. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Alright, guys - the issue is dealt with; there's no need to keep talking about it. Back on topic ...

9. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Topic? Topic? What is 'topic?'"

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I believe the topic was interment ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.