Episodes you refuse to watch...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JesterFace, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't believe no one mentioned 'The Royale' yet.....

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Conspiracy. I guess the Remmick scene has been discussed ad nauseam.

I don't want to rewatch even the censored German episode. We had the "The violence of Conspiracy" thread.

'nuff said.

3. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like captain's holiday! The plot isn't stellar, granted, but it's one of those rare episodes where Picard is not in command, not in his element too (initially, at least) and has to put up with a woman who is at least his equal in several respects. I think it is a fun episode.

Certain episodes I just avoid without ever having made a conscious decision about it. Those can be episodes that are just bad/boring (Shades of grey), episodes that have to Convey a Message (Symbiosis -- Drugs are bad Wesley, mmkay?), or episodes that suffer from eightiesness ('Angel one -- what if we reverse the man/woman role model?') or other stereotypes (code of honor). Also, I'm not fond of klingon-centered episodes but there are some awesome exceptions to that rule. Finally , I just seem to get a headache from certain episodes like Imaginary Friend, without being able to put a finger on the sore spot (I mean, it's a dull and unimaginative episode but not worse than many others that don't cause me headaches).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I don't refuse to watch any of them. If I'm doing a watch-through of a season, I watch them all...the good, the bad, and the ugly. But there are certainly some episodes that I find more painful than others. I'll mention a personal least favorite that I haven't caught a mention of: "The Icarus Factor"--TNG turns into a melodramatic soap opera for an episode. It's my "Sub Rosa". Gates running around in a nightgown and having orgasms? That I can get behind, at least.

Also, "Where Silence Has Lease" has its intriguing elements and is far from the worst episode of the series...but it's the only episode that makes me feel like I'm reading a bad Trek novel that has everybody written out of character.

I've always had a soft spot for "Shades of Gray" because when it originally aired, I hadn't seen about half or so of Season 1 yet, so I found the peeks at episodes that I'd missed intriguing. I wouldn't know how little I'd missed until years later when I was able to watch the entire season in syndication.

5. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked "The Price" and "Qpid" and don't see why there's such hostility about "Justice" and especially "Angel One".

Probably not never again but it'll be a very long time before I watch again "Cost of Living", "Aquiel", "Shades of Grey" and maybe "Up the Long Ladder", "True Q" and "Sub Rosa".

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Forgot about Justice and Shades of Gray, those are also on my 'Skip no matter what' list. Probably Cost of Living too.

If we expanded the list to be my 'Usually skip but willing to watch sometimes' list there'd be 30-40 episodes on it.

I like Royale, it's one of my favorite Trek comedy eps.

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Love it, especial the scene lifted out of the Questor pilot.

Won't watch Masks ever again. And with Q episodes, I either don't watch them, or skip past scenes with Q in them (except the one where Guinan's stabs him with a fork).

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

On a recent Season 7 watch-through, having not seen it since close to when it originally aired, "Masks" was a real chore. I think I fell asleep partway through on two different nights before I managed to finish it.

9. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

For me it's Realm of Fear. The synopsis sounds interesting enough, but everytime I try to watch it I find it extremely boring. Dull direction by Cliff Bole and an overabundance of technobabble kills it for me.

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Why would we mention one of the best episodes of the series? :ouch:

(I love the episode)

For me, there aren't any episodes I would refuse to watch, but if I'm doing a rewatch, there are episodes where I sigh a few times before pressing "play."

Oh, wait, no. There is one episode I would refuse to watch, and that episode is Genesis. Just utter shit. Also, too many images and events in that episode that induce really strong anxiety attacks for me. I hate that episode with a passion.

11. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Royale is unique and fun. One of the more watchable season 2 episodes IMO.

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Riker: "We need some spreading around money."

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nope. If it's on, I'll watch it. I even sat through "Code of Honor" not too long ago.

14. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

I refuse to refuse to watch any episodes.

15. danielcw

danielcw Lieutenant Red Shirt

Half of the episodes on that list are even among my favourites:
    Captain's Holiday
    Ménage à Troi
    Devil's Due
    Qpid
    Rascals

16. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

opinions, opinions... :p

17. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

For me, there are a lot of episodes with tough moments, but I wouldn't refuse to watch them just for those. And there are annoying things, like in the first two seasons Picard's consistent 20th Century bashing. I keep thinking, "Thanks, Star Trek for calling me an ignorant backwards barbarian all the time." And TNG often suffers from silly TV moments, which crop up in about all of the episodes you guys have mentioned above. Stuff like, for example, in "Up the Long Ladder" where the drunken Irish patriarch is berated by his hot sassy daughter and he bumbles like a cartoon character. Things of that nature.

But there are a few episodes that I really don't watch. "Aquiel" is among the worst offenders for me. Hate it throughout. "Sub Rosa" also. "Shades of Gray" is a waste of time. Any episode where Troi gets mind raped is out for me.

To be honest, I have a harder time watching the entirety of Season Seven than Season One or Two. "Descent. Part II" was lame, "Interface" was extra boring, well it would be a shorter list of the episodes in 7 I actually like, which is pretty much just "Lower Decks" and "All Good Things..."

Although, for some reason, I do kinda like "Masks," though I realize I'm in a minority there. And Season Seven does have the one highlight of Troi being in a proper uniform for once.

Ah well.

18. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love Masks if only for the changes to the ship scenery.

Almost every episode has some merit to me, even Sub Rosa is so bad it's funny. Code of Honor isn't that bad. But do I hate Up The Long Ladder so I avoid that one.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't skip any episode, but if I were, it would probably be Angel One. Hate how sexist that episode is. Also, When the Baugh Breaks is just boring.

20. Sistrin

Sistrin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"A Night in Sickbay."

Oh, wait, sorry...