Episodes you love until.....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Grant, May 2, 2020.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only real problem with it is that in ENT you see a female Captain which sort of invalidates the scene here! The first female Captain we see was in The Voyage Home so that was after TI but for me the ENT series was another reality created by their Temporal conflict in that show! :bolian:
    JB

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Or you can just say Janice Lester insane lunatic.
    What about Georgiou and what about ENT female captain?

3. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think that's what I said. I think I'm accepting the evidence as presented.

4. Poltargyst

Except that Kirk agrees with her.

UnknownSample likes this.
  5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Oh god, yes, stop. There was a whole endless thread about this not long ago.

mike hill likes this.
  6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course he does. Why would he deliberately provoke a crazy person by disagreeing with her?

Grant, BK613, Warped9 and 1 other person like this.
  7. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Poltargyst Of course when Kirk (Lester's body) addresses the hearing it's:
    "To get the power she craved, to attain a position she doesn't merit by temperament or training."
    No mention of her gender being a limit here.

mike hill, Mytran and Warped9 like this.
  8. johnnybear

I don't count either ENT or DSC as part of the timeline to be honest, especially DSC! :bolian:
    JB

PCz911, ZapBrannigan and Poltargyst like this.
  9. Poltargyst

But again, we're not given any reason to think Kirk is just humoring her as opposed to agreeing with her.

I'm getting such a sense of Deja Vu. Are we in a time loop? Next time through remember the number 3 and do whatever Riker says.

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Kirk doesn't say "You're right - women with their terrible hormones, weak muscles and their inability to follow a map or park aren't capable of captaining a Starship. You know. Women aren't up to snuff. I'm surprised they let any of them on a Starship at all. I suppose I've got to have someone to look at or fetch me coffee".
    Neither does he say "You're right - its unfair"
    All he says on the matter is as BK613 quoted that she didn't have the training or temperament to be a captain.

11. Poltargyst

Whoa, who said Kirk doesn't think women should be Starfleet captains? He thinks it's unfair too.
    To Janice, he's agreeing with women in general about being Starfleet captains. The later quote is about Janice herself.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  12. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

So was there somebody who actually loved turnabout Intruder up to a certain point?

Valin likes this.
  13. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

Me. Shatner acting like a woman got me to smile. Her total breakdown was anticlimactic at the end. It would have better for her to fall into the atomic pile...:whistle: (bonus points for those who gets that reference) :rommie:

14. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

“Och! What a way to go-go!”

15. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

So you loved the episode until there was an anti-climactic ending. Yes I guess most people would agree it's an episode you could truly love right up until the end

16. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, this is a thread about personal opinions, so yeah maybe so. I mean, I doubt that "most people" would, but still... :rommie:

I actually really enjoy this one on an entertainment-value level. I find the episode has a great hook and a very strong teaser. Once you realize it’s not really gonna be much more than a chatty bottle show with tantrums, you either like it because it’s kinda campy or you don’t. I think Shatner's performance as Lester loses it in the briefing room to be electric. I wish I had that much control over my voice.

17. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's also remember that "Turnabout Intruder" has the last shots of the Enterprise sets. When the final scene wrapped, workmen started tearing down the standing sets while the actors were still standing there in costume.

18. johnnybear

What an awful thing to watch!!!
    JB

Valin likes this.
  19. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's very sad...

PCz911 likes this.
  20. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I liked Turnabout Intruder. Sue me.