Spoilers Episode 7 "Nepenthe"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Feb 28, 2020.

?

Rate 1x07 Nepenthe

1. 10 - Wild Beard Riker

109 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. 9

95 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. 8

53 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. 7

21 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 6

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. 5 - Full Beard Riker

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. 4

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  10. 1 - Season 1 Riker

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. hellojane

hellojane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also, Kestra's "friend" that she contacts to help is some old captain that she says is older than Picard and who Troi and Riker think is basically just a crazy old man who makes up stories. Kestra though sends him a message from some phone like thing she has and he figures out where the home planet is

DEWLine likes this.
  2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Extraordinary claims, yada yada...

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

This could've been their opening to work in Sulu.

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

What if Soji finds out about her sister being killed and that is what causes the scenes that the Commodore shows Jurati.

It has self fulfilling prophecy written all over it.

Do we know which planet is destroyed?

5. IconianGetaway

IconianGetaway Ensign Red Shirt

Soji finds out this episode that Dahj being real and being killed. Do not know which planet/planets. Yes, it seems very much a self-fulfilling prophecy. The images of destruction we see in the meld are general apocalyptic imagery. It does not seem mind breaking tbh. Unless, there is an element of brainwashing involved.

SolarisOne, Blip and Gonzo like this.
  6. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

As I said before there could be an element of emotion transfer with the imagery, otherwise its a bit weak to start killing people over it.

Plus if it is the same imagery that has been transferred down through the millennia it could indicate that the message has become corrupted over time, like a game of Chinese whispers.

This was my concern from the start, that the big secret would end up being a bit of a damp squib, we shall see though.

Blip likes this.
  7. hellojane

Forgot this and I don't think IconianGetaway mentioned it either, but Kestra basically gets Soji to trust Picard a lot more by telling Soji that something bad also happened her (aka the brother dying). Kestra tells Soji that she had her parents to help her through that and that even she doesn't really understand what Soji's been through, maybe Picard can help her.

A few more tidbits that I didn't see mentioned and then I think between Iconian and I, we covered everything-
    When Rios, Raffi, and Agnes finally show up, Soji gives Kestra a hug before she goes and Kestra gives her the compass she had earlier. The last shot of the episode is Troi and Riker walking into their house together

Narek and his sister lose their tracking of La Sirena when attempt suicide because she throws it up

Elnor is still on the Borg cube and the last we see of him is him with some tech device that he's looking at

Riker says he's still on active reserve with Starfleet

8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I get the feeling this is going to pay off at the end of Episode 9, going into Episode 10.

9. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

See, now if this is true, this is setting up Riker (not Worf) swooping in at the end of the day to save Picard and La Sirena's crew.

Edit: Ninja'ed by @Lord Garth !

10. IconianGetaway

I think it is too early to judge how good a payoff the secret will be. Although, hard to pay off the secret given how they have hyped it in universe. We get no context for the images or Oh's belief this is what will happen if synthetic life exists. We need more info as viewers. I will say Oh comes across as a true believer and on the right side of things

11. IconianGetaway

He also adds it would take something major happening to get him back in uniform. Think your hunch is right.

12. hellojane

Yes, I also agree Oh seems like she very much believes that this is what will happen with synths existing. She's obviously helping the Romulans but I do think that she's maybe doing it out of genuine fear instead of more nefarious reasons.

SolarisOne and Gonzo like this.
  13. GaiusBaltarBand

GaiusBaltarBand Lieutenant Red Shirt

My goodness, the payoff is going to be the simple explanation isn't it. It's DISCO season 2. We've seen the future, artificial life will destroy everything, we must stop it.

I don't know if my expectations are irrationally high or if this story is really as silly as I think it is. I got to go take a break and reach a stage of acceptance.

14. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

So an emergency situation, becomes ranking officer to command a ship to aid and assist Picard. Things look to be ramping up nicely with this episode!

picardjean-luc, Gonzo and Lord Garth like this.
  15. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I was skeptical but feeling a bit better, we will know soon enough. Wonder how long it was actually online.

16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Welp, at least there won't be 15 pages of irrelevant discussion in this weeks thread.
    :rofl:

17. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I was never sold on her being a villain, there is no question that she believes it and the fact that it has been passed down through the generations also support its authenticity.

Belief alone is not enough, lies travel at speed but truth has weight and moves more slowly.

Either way the Commodore's career is over.

The Zhat Vash could have a very good reason for what they do but a few apocalyptic images is not going to cut it, it also depends on which planets we are shown.

Context is King.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2020
  18. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

It could have been mere minutes, once they realised their mistake they would remove the link but it wouldn't stop those who are currently watching it.

Only deleting the episode could do that and only if the browser or app hasn't fully buffered it yet.

SolarisOne likes this.
  19. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I must say if really true, it sounds like a horrible episode...

20. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

There has to be lives lost or there is no danger or consequence.

Losing Hugh so soon will be a blow but he is ultimately just a guest star.

Like I said in an earlier post I think Soji and Elnor are safe along with Picard (for now) but everyone else is fair game.

Thing is if Jurati can somewhat shrug it off to the extent of killing herself why don't others, it is possible that Narek is close to doing the same and we know why that is.

All we need now is for Jurati to wake up and spill her guts but that is probably why she is in a coma so that she can't give up the Commodore.

That is why I suspect that the Commodore will find out about the secret location through the Starfleet grapevine, which as we all know is as leaky as a sieve.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2020
    picardjean-luc likes this.