Enterprise-C Stories

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JonoKyle, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Or perhaps Charvanek managed to get ahold of them and let them go. She could have given them some old freighter with clearance codes to get them safely out of Romulan space (just like with Spock).

2. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

^ Possibly, but it's unlikely that they (the C's survivors) would have been kept on Romulus. More likely, like the Khitomer survivors Worf found in TNG, they were kept offworld in some remote location and treated well...and surely Tasha was permitted to keep in contact with them, though, so she would know that Volskiar kept up his end of their "bargain". Perhaps at some point the C survivors died off or escaped or something, and that was what triggered Tasha to try and escape with Sela?

3. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

I could see that happening, too...

4. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that unlikely. For starters, the Romulan state did not know about Spock's presence in Romulan space the first time, while it certainly does know about the eight other C survivors. Spock also had a patron inside Romulan society protecting him: after Tasha's execution, their fate will rest in the hands of a Volskiar who isn't depicted in Treklit as a generous kind of person, especially if he's felt himself cheated.

5. rfmcdpei

And perhaps most importantly, when Guinan raised the issue of C long-term survivors after Sela's first appearance in the season 4 premiere, Picard treated the very idea as unlikely. It's conceivable that C survivors who escaped back to the Federation might be hidden, I suppose, but is it likely?

6. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

^ Not likely. All Picard said in the episode with Guinan was that the E-C was lost near Narendra 3, defending the Klingon outpost from the Romulans, and presumed destroyed. But what I want to know is why the Federation didn't declare war on the Romulans for this incident. If they had any kind of evidence that Romulan forces had destroyed the C, it would be a cause for war between the Federation and the Romulan Empire, current (in 2344, that is) difficulties with the Klingons not withstanding. And any Ent-C survivors popping up in the aftermath, whether at that time or years later, would have no reason NOT to tell their tales of battle with the Romulans. There would be no reason that I can see for survivors to stay hidden.

7. rfmcdpei

Actually, no. The script for "Redemption II" portrays Guinan's revelation that there were survivors as a shock.

This script was performed. I remember seeing it. Stewart portrayed a character who was surprised by the fact that this rumour was true--well, that and the fact that a Tasha Yar was on board.

It would be a cause for war, yes, but the Federation could choose not to. In this particular case, at least in the novelverse the attack on Narendra III was the final act of the mad Praetor Dralath, this attack being one of the factors leading to the revolution that installed a much stabler and more moderator Narviat in Ki Baratan. The Federation could have concluded that, with the expansionist party discredited, Dralath dead, and a more moderate regime in power, the costs of a war would have outweighed the benefits. There was already a regime change in Romulus. Why risk a full-scale war?

Picard's treatment of the idea of C survivors as being "just rumors" strongly suggests that any C survivors, even if they did somehow survive Tasha's death, didn't make it outside of the Star Empire's boundaries.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm sticking with my suspicion that Charvanek could have somehow arranged for their release or escape. She's got connections herself. She couldn't do anything for Tasha, but could help the other survivors. And since she fought alongside them, she'd have every reason to.

As for Picard's skepticism about survivors? Maybe he just didn't know about them.

9. rfmcdpei

Are those the only factors operating for Charvanek? She's still a loyal Romulan and a high-ranking official of a state that she wants to transform into something better, a state that never did a complete reset after the mad Dralath notwithstanding the desires of Charvanek and (maybe) Narviat. General Volskiar, the man who directed the massacre at Narendra III, doesn't seem to have been tried and purged, but instead remained a powerful figure under Narviat's regime.

Could Charvanek do something for the survivors? Maybe she could. Would she do so if the risk was too great? She might well not. What if, for instance, a vengeful General Volskiar was set on executing the C survivors after Tasha broke her side of thee agreement? Would Charvanek intervene and try to smuggle them out if doing so would create an internal crisis risking her husband's praetorship?

I agree that Charvanek would be concerned about the fate of the other C survivors. I'd even agree that she'd feel bad if something did happen to them, even if Tasha did break her word to Volskiar. It doesn't therefore follow that she'd automatically intervene on their behalf whatever the cost, to her, to her allies, and to the Romulus she was trying to form.

That may be a possibility.

However, someone as generally well-informed as Picard thinks the idea anyone survived the C's battle at Narendra III as ridiculous. This suggests to me that C survivors never made it to the Federation: what incentive would the Federation have to cover up the survival of Starfleet personnel captured in battle on the Federation flagship?

10. patspring83

patspring83 Ensign Newbie

How about survivors on narendra III from a away team but no survivers from E-C

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I (and I know of others) struggled to get through. Took me a few attempts to finish it, and I only did so because I hate leaving books unfinished. But personally, I felt it sucked.

12. Workbee

Workbee Commander Red Shirt

Slightly OT, but does anyone know if there are any stories set during the TNG era in the YE alternate reality?

13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

There might be one in the Myriad Unverse books, but I don't remember any.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

^ No, there's not a myriad story about the "real" Ent-C, although one of the plot threads in Q-Squared takes place in an alternate universe which features a version of it.

A universe where the Ent-C failed in its mission and the war with the Klingons continues.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm, I was going to say that it could've produced a good Myriad Universes tale, maybe something fleshing out the backstory of the war. But maybe the fact that Q Squared had already done a "nearly-YE" timeline is the reason MyrU didn't do one.

16. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's awkward for me - the first quarter-to-third focuses almost exclusively on characters who, while important to the story, are exclusive to the novel, as opposed to the two characters we know who actually were on the Enterprise-C. I get why, of course, making an audience connection for these new characters, but it starts out not feeling like what I thought it was going to be, a story about the Enterprise-C. But it picked up after about a quarter/a third of the way in, and I enjoyed the rest of it.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

I started in on "Well of Souls" but I couldn't finish it, I found it almost Myrshak/Culbreathian in its sheer impenetrableness.

18. patspring83

patspring83 Ensign Newbie

After Y-E was there any interest in stories or books about the Enterprise-c?. I mean "Well of Souls" I had to try really hard to finish it. The crew of the ship was interesting but in more of multiple book way

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've always been rather shocked that there aren't more Enterprise-C stories.

20. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I would love some more Enterprise B & C stories. I know there are a lot of series out there competing for the few publication spots each year, so maybe some stories in an anthology.