Emilia Clarke cast as Sarah Connor in Terminator reboot

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by doubleohfive, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I looked at him.

Nothing moved.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really like the cast for this myself. She's not the best actress on GoT or anything, but Emilia Clarke is still pretty good. And Jason Clakre (no relation) was good in Brotherhood and Dawn of the Planet of Apes. Arnold is well.... Arnold. Of course Matt Smith was great in Doctor Who. I'm not really familiar enough with Jai Courtney to have an opinion either way.
    Entertainment Weekly had a big T:G cover story which you can read on their website. My interest level in this is actually starting to rise. Sounds like their taking things in a very interesting new direction.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seeing Matt Smith in paramilitary garb is weird after Doctor Who. Looks like he might've been photoshopped in as well.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he should have kept his hair buzzed down like he did for that Ryan Gosling movie. It's a better look for a post-apocalyptic soldier than that.

Actually, they all seem to be spending too much time on their hairstyles for soldier from a war-torn future.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Teaser for the trailer
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_77GeNEzFQ[/yt]

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Promo pics look terrible. All of them.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

so the spoilers were right...

8. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Crap. The plot sounds pretty cool, the effects look cool. But the cast..... and the acting we've seen sofar.... Crap.....

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Here's a trailer that's actually viewable in the US. (The one in the link above wasn't.)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbOFjl7ZWE[/yt]

I admit, I like the idea of this. The tying together the original film's story with the idea that all this mucking about the timeline has produced a very different Sarah Connor. It's intriguing.

Emilia Clarke is the only one we see do any significant acting in the trailer. She seems... not very good. I hope her performance works better in context.

11. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Jesus Christ, this is going to be worse than the last two. :wtf:

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Emilia Clarke is the only one we see do any significant acting in the trailer. She seems... not very good. I hope her performance works better in context.

Actually I disagree. In T2, Sarah was hardneed not just because of her foreknowledge of events but also because she was put away in the insane asylum..

Here, Clarke looks like the 19-year-old version of Sarah form the first film except she was raised with the foreknowledge by a Terminator. It's a subtly different version of her, and I like the fact that Clarke resembles Hamilton as seen in the first film

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think it looks pretty good myself.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It looks like they put T1 & T2 in a blender. I like Emilia Clarke (though I've only seen her in GOT), love Matt Smith and Arnie is Arnie. Haven't seen enough of Jason Clarke to have an opinion but I think Jai Courtney must have compromising photos of or dirt on a lot of major studio bosses and directors; I can't think of another reason why he's getting cast in big movies. Or indeed any movies.

Still, Terminator & 'splosions. They'll probably get my money off me on that basis. I'm in the minority that enjoyed Terminator Salvation, after all.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So basically John Conner and Skynet decided to say screw it to causality and are going for a full scale temporal war.

Figured that was going to happen at some point.

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

This. It's hard to see anything original in this other than using Arnold in a different way.

Yeah, I'll probably go see it but I'm not expecting much. And I'm one of the few who actually quite liked Salvation.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not quite clear on JC's part as it appears that the one scene is a re-run of the first terminator with the knowledge given to Reece being wrong.*

* although that might not be the case given 'old' Terminator.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but thats 2029 Conner.

Its seems that sometime after that he gets the idea to send a reprogrammed T-800 back in time to 1) turn T1 Sarah Conner into T2 Sarah Conner and 2) kill the 1984 T-800.

Now the question I have is was this in response to Skynet apparently sending a T-1000 after Kyle Reese, or becuase he decided to say fuck it and try to retgone Skynet's ass and the T-1000 is part of Skynet's attempt to save its own ass.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, not really sure what to make of that trailer. In theory the idea of revisiting and completely reimagining the first two movies seems like it could be a lot of fun (and I love the sight of Arnold confronting his younger T1 self), but the fact the characters are all being played by new actors just makes everything seem more strange than anything else (like Nick Stahl playing John Conner in T3, but times 1000).

And even with those changes, we're still apparently stuck with another liquid metal Terminator facing off with yet another good Arnold Terminator. And yet another movie about the futile attempt to stop Judgment Day from happening. So ultimately it still just feels like a rehash of the previous movies.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

A big fat Meh from me

I'm now at the point where i actually can't stomach "I'll be back" from Arnold anymore because he sounds like a trained parrot where people just have to pull a string so he can launch some catchphrases. To me it comes off as rather sad and pathetic.

I don't know what to make of it.. elements from the first and second movies, future scenes, T1000 and old Terminator vs. young Terminator (why can a Terminator even age? Their missions never seemed that longterm)

As someone said it looks like they took the first two movies and threw them in a blender.

I will obviously see it as a big Terminator fan (who didn't even hate 3 and 4 :lol:) but the trailer didn't get me excited at all.