Eccleston comments on 50th anniversary special return

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Nov 29, 2012.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Because we like TV series and all kinds of ongoing entertainement, most of us in geek circles don't always understand that part of the appeal of being an actor is that you get to play all kinds of different parts and work with all kinds of different people. Playing the same character over and over again is not the kind of thing most actors are looking forward to when they follow their calling.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or not answering. :)

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I think a lot of people expect actors to take on the role to embrace it, promote it and be part of the show that's been around for nearly half a century.

Eccleston simply saw it for what it was; an acting role. A job. Nothing more.

4. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Exactly, which is why I don't rule out a return. He's an actor, it's a gig. He'll get a paycheck, and it'll be a one off thing that he'll never need to return to again. He couldn't buy the kind of media attention the Who anniversary will be generating. Especially with how big Who is getting in the states. It's win\win for everyone.

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I really don't think he's after media attention.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus he's constantly in demand as it is - and going back to who isn't going to make much of a difference to his profile - I mean he's the bad guy in the next Thor movie - more people are going to see that than Doctor Who.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think that with the change in 'management' there's a chance he'll do it. I'd be delighted if Tenant and McGann did too...

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Let's face it the question of who will be appearing in the 50th Anniversary past Docotrs/companions etc.. will be circulating until the details leak (or it airs if it doesn't leak) but lets face it the red tops are likely to camp someone outside to get pictures.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If Eccleston does it, I don't think it will be down to publicity, keeping fans happy or any of those things - it will be because he wants to do it. Simple as. So, not knowing the guy's mind, I have no idea whether or not it will happen. I just hope he does want to do it!

10. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I'm rather saddened to learn that he didn't enjoy his tenure as the Doctor and has no plans to revisit the role. I loved his portrayal of the character, and some of my favorite episodes of the new series were during Season 1. I'm extremely curious as to what so turned him off to the role. As others have said though, I imagine he simply didn't enjoy being part of a franchise which actors are generally expected to revisit ("The Three Doctors", "The Five Doctors", "School Reunion", "Time Crash", various spoiler-y things related to companions in the new series, etc.)

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I understand, there was behind the scenes bullshit going on during season 1 which Eccleston couldn't tolerate. That and there was a director he didn't get along with at all.

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I would also imagine that the large volume of work and relatively low pay (BBC TV role versus film role) would be a large turn off for an actor more used to motion picture industry!

At least he made it through an entire season, unlike Geneviève Bujold in ST: Voyager!

Mr Awe

13. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can understand that but since his departure the forces behind the show have changed. Also, he wouldn't be returning for a series commitment. This is just a one shot aniversary thing so maybe he's just bitter.

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Also, IIRC, his father was ill at the time, and the DW shooting schedule didn't allow for a lot of family free time

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

According to deleted information on Blogger Who that was reposted on Bleeding Cool he might actually be in this but as of yet in a capacity that is unknown.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

My gut instinct is that he will, actually - I know the show's not at all special to him but I also know he's not quite as against it as people think - a year or two back he did say he expected to eventually do "some of those radio things", meaning Big Finish (if licences allow someday).

I certainly wouldn't particularly surprised for him to do a voiceover role or narration.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Oh Rose. Look. A cyberman. Oh no."

"And when you make out the check there's no "E" at the end of Eccleston."

18. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Yup, I saw that. No idea how accurate it is, but they claimed all doctor actors who are still alive will be in the anniversary special.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Well if that rumour were true and all eight actors who are alive were in it, would the other Doctors all defer to the fourth, after all more often or not in previous multi-doctor stories they tended to defer to the first doctor.

20. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if they got all of them in to do voiceovers. They could leave it late in the day before even asking them. I believe they didn't always ask John Lesson if he was free until the final dubs were due!

Also Big Finish are working with AudioGo next year to do an 11 part Destiny Of The Doctor series, so it will be interesting to see who they get for the 9th release. Its the first post era 9th Doctor story regardless IIRC.