Ebert gives Titanic 3D's 3D the ol' thumbs-down

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Gaith, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Normally I'd agree, but I don't think Big Jim is doing this just for a few extra bucks - or at least I'd like to think that he isn't. I do think that he believes in the project, and therefore hoped it'd be good, so it's a shame to hear that it may not be.

2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Just like movies made in black-and-white were shot for black-and-white. Which is why colorization sucks.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've yet to see a well done colorization conversion.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If this movie is playing in 2D any place, I would love to see it on the big screen. Maybe on the internet I'm in a minority, but I really loved this movie and even watched the very end on HBO this evening. I do admit getting choked up at the ending.

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I love the movie, too. The technical achievements are tremendous, and who doesn't love to see the Titanic in all her glory? I felt like I was seeing the real thing, and just marveled at the detail poured into making her look so real and vivid. I don't actually own the movie (well, okay, on VHS), but prices are prohibitive right now. Probably due to the re-release of the movie in 3D (Thanks James). Still, wonderful movie, and if they released it in 2D in my local theater, I'd drop down the money for a ticket to see it all over again.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I love it to, and the only reason I don't watch it more often is really the length. I remember being quite dismissive before I went to see it, and being quite shaken by how good it was. It's a bit over the top, and dear lord some of the scenes Cameron cut were really quite bad, but on the whole its a fantastic film, both technically and emotionally.

One of my favourite bits is where Cameron pulls back to show how utterly tiny this huge ship was, and yeah the ending gets me every time as well...even if I do feel sorry for rose's eventual husband!:lol:

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That’s like good fake boobs. There is no such thing.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

He's the exception, I'd say. He seems to really care about the technology and its future and believes it can add a lot to the experience when done right.

I don't think that really goes for most other movies, where the conversions are done quickly and late in the game.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Ebert is on a crusade against 3D. He's dug-in on the issue. It gets tiresome.

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That may be so, however you have to admit the man has a point. Cameron is one I'd trust in getting a good conversion done over anyone else, and I think everyone is interested in how he does. The fact that even Cameron couldn't make it look good speaks volumes about the whole process in general.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you seen it or are you just relying on Ebert?

13. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

The Hobbit is being conceptualized and shot from the ground up in 3D, it is not a post-conversion.

PJ even had concept artists doing their work in red/blue shades of pencil so he could throw on some old fashioned 3D glasses to get a grasp of their work.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't seen it, no. But I haven't been very impressed by what I saw in the trailer which makes me feel like he has some valid points. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but more often than not, I trust his opinion. In this case, it isn't even about Ebert. He only confirms my suspicions that I already had. Anyone else could have confirmed it.

And yet, I didn't even mention The Hobbit. I was speaking about post-conversions in general. I think you may have meant to quote Jax. I was more or less agreeing with him over Avatar sequels and expanded on movies shot in 3D.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

He's a partisan, aye, but he praises 3D when he thinks it's done well, as I noted in the OP. Can't ask for more than that, I say.

16. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Cameron extremely critical of movies that were not 'true 3D' and just post-conversion movies with some 3D shots. I think I remember him criticizing Prince of Persia or Harry Potter or something.

Well I guess he thinks its ok if the 'not true 3D movie' is putting money in his own pocket.

17. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

He said he was going to see the Hobbit in 2D, and that he wouldn't be bothering with any movie in 3D besides Avatar. You said "Agreed", and then talked about how you'd only see movies that were done from the ground up in 3D. Surely you can see why I thought you might think the Hobbit was a 2D-3d conversion?

18. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there an easy way of finding out if upcoming films are real 3D or the garbage post-conversion? Me and my friends were going to see Ghost Rider this weekend but found out from a review that it was post-conversion, so we're going to pass on that. There has to be website that reports on what 3D process the films use.

19. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

http://realorfake3d.com/

20. Seven83

Seven83 Cadet Newbie