Spoilers Easter Eggs/Call Backs - All Episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tuskin38, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not exactly the FJ symbol, of course (the faces are slightly more angular, the UFP font different, the "crosshairs" incomplete, and the laurels are all-new). But it's clear this is what it's intended to resemble.

Timo Saloniemi

Psion likes this.
  2. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like it. It's an homage, while avoiding the design patents/copyrights. I hope J.S. Franz's estate got some compensation, though.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Always enjoy when FJ's work gets respect in the canon world like that. Maybe there is an underground movement in the production that wants to gradually recanonize elements of the SFTM - people who categorically disagree with Gene's original decision, much like what Enterprise started to do by making direct references to TAS during its run, slowly re-introducing it back into the official world where it belongs (IMO).

Feron and Psion like this.
  4. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Yup, I mentioned it that night.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is fun how neatly the writers sidestepped this whole issue in "Shore Leave" where Carroll characters make an actual appearance - Spock has every reason not to comment on them in that story (at a time when the writers had no idea their Vulcan was thoroughly familiar with Carroll).

One does wonder whose head the planet pulled the characters from. Not McCoy's after all?

Timo Saloniemi

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  6. midnightz

midnightz Lieutenant Red Shirt

Have uploaded a video on all the Easter eggs and Trek references in ep 4 - hope you like:

Clothes replicator... 00:28 Heart of the enemy 00:42 House of Kor 00:53 Red tansporter beam 1:10 Assimiliation reference 1:19 Horta... 1:47 Corvan II... 1:59 UFP logo... 2:22 Zephram Cochrane 2:35 Elon Musk 2:45 Zaphod... 3:00 Georgiou & Burnham biogs... 3:13

7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Doesn't CBS (or Paramount, before the split) technically have the right to use anything created by a licensee, if they wanted to? I thought I had read that before, probably in the Lit forum.

And of course they already used the FJ "faces" logo in TVH, pretty much only changing the colour of the faces from silver to blue:

[​IMG]

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trek Core's page is up

http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/10/star-trek-discoverys-canon-connections-episode-104/

Apparently someone from or related to the FJ estate was contacted on Facebook and she was upset and wanted to contact CBS.

9. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

My first instinct was to think she was contacting by Axanar "fans" looking to cause trouble. Maybe, maybe not - could be, but the 'net has a wide assortment of troublemakers and trolls, so who can say?

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Tuskin38 likes this.
  11. Tuskin38

I didn't actually notice how similar the Klingon beaming FX was to the TOS movies, I noticed the red, but not the way the lines come from the centre of the effect.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

His daughter is up in arms on Facebook, saying CBS don't have the rights to her father's version of the symbol (her father's Star Fleet Technical Manual pre-dates all modern tie-ins "work for hire"/"you don't own anything you create for us" status)

13. F. King Daniel

Burnham's "no rank" silver-braid uniform looks a little bit like what Garth of Izar is wearing in "Whom Gods Destroy"

I like the idea he's wearing his old Starfleet uniform in the asylum.

14. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except the same outfit was worn by Commissioner Ferris who pretty clearly was a civilian.

15. F. King Daniel

Maybe a civilian suit the closest he could find to a Starfleet uniform, then?

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Ferris is a frugal SOB who shops at Starfleet surplus shops.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  17. Tuskin38

Episode 5
    A Klingon Supply line at Benzar was mentioned. Benzar is the Benzite homeworld.
    The ship that captured Lorca was called a D7 Battlecruiser, though looked nothing like it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

Good screen shot, I had not caught the last name. I also wanted a good look at the D7. And they mentioned andorians as well. The Doctor had to go help with a surgery on one.

19. Tuskin38

Another map. Iconians are mentioned top right, following the theme of copying right from Star Charts by mentioning '200,000 years ago',
    they even used the same coloured symbols on the systems, showing what kind of stars they are

Right below '200,000' years ago, 'Klach D'kel Brakt'

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Mirror Mirror likes this.
  20. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love it. Canonizing April, shout out to Pike and.. uh.. Archer (I hated Enterprise, but hey, history is a bitch), and Matt Freak-out Decker!

Rura Penthe! Deep Space K-7! This is awesome!

Paul Weaver likes this.