Earth Facilities (Canon)

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by gazomg, Jan 15, 2021.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It beats Atlantropa

2. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

or just had a hologram of the paris skyline behind the desk in his office.

3. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At the least a total fleet town.

Nyotarules likes this.
  4. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And establishing shots in Paris, for some reason.

Of course, centralizing all the authority in one specific portion of Earth leaves the entire Federation vulnerable to a quick strafing shot from a lucky Breen ship, so I have no problem with the Council meeting in San Fran, the President running his things out of Paris, and perhaps the Supreme Court meeting in Leningrad or something. A taxpayer-funded transporter room off to the side is all Mr. President needs for a quick day trip to San Francisco to give a fancy show trial for the latest Starfleet hero/liability.

JonnyQuest037 and Nyotarules like this.
  5. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Assuming that it was in San Fransisco. We only got an interior shot of the council chamber. It could have been in The Hauge or any other place. Transporters, as you say, making the world a walk away.

The reasoning is sound to spread things around.

6. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

When the President steps onto a transporter, does it become "Transporter One"? :lol:

7. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

No, since the nations of Earth decided the cultural heritage of the USA will not dominate the globe or they were not signing any United Earth papers.

8. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is cool, but if this is Canon, why did Uhura and Chekov not understand where Alameda was. It's on this map!!!

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Because Uhura was from the United States of Africa and Chekov was from Russia, silly! ;)

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Guess they didn't get out much when at the Academy.

Kirby likes this.
  11. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps someone named Alameda was a war criminal in WW3 and they renamed the place XD

137th Gebirg likes this.
  12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Code name for Colonel West. :devil:

13. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like how the whole New Atlantis nonsense completely ignores the importance of the Gulf Stream. Northern Europe in the 24th century must be frozen...
    Then again they might have environmental controls, like Risa and the "19th century LARP" colony Beverley grew up on.

14. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, weather control solves all questions here. But I imagine it's not easy. That's why it's a massive project with the brightest of 24th century minds working to build this new continent for some reason.

15. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Maybe its in the South Atlantic?

16. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The more I'm thinking about this the more problems I see with this continent, not just it's impact on climate but trade winds, the life cycle of the European Eal. The open sea and abyssal/deep sea eco systems they must have disrupted and/or destroyed by planting a whole new large island/small continent there. Tectonic issues....
    And the fact that they don't need to create a new continent when they have ample planets to colonize and can terraform Mars, if they really want to. Because if they can sculpt planets with such precision then they can make Mars (and possibly Venus) green.
    They can find a nice ocean planet with some islands and call that Atlantis if they really like the name so much...

In the map (including the one on the show) it shows up in the North Atlantic

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That's what Donovan said/sang.

18. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We know from TrueQ that they have a "weather net".

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

What with Lacombe (Vallee’), French is the language of outreach

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't it make more sense for Starfleet to have a more de-centralized organizational scheme than that? We're talking about (in the 2250s) 7,000 ships across scores of Member States (over 150 by the TNG era). I don't think it makes much sense to run everything through one headquarters facilities on Earth. Day-to-day operations really ought to be run through different regional HQs.

Not if there's a planetary shield in place, or, if that's a little too closed-off for the UFP, a shield of similar strength over the Federation capitol building (much smaller area to defend!).

*shrugs* I don't object to that concept, but I do kind of like what the novels went with -- the Federation have one capitol, called the Palais de la Concorde, that houses the Supreme Court, the Federation Council, and the Federation President.

Or maybe they didn't attend the Academy's San Francisco campus. If they've got over 7,000 ships and hundreds of starbases, it would make more sense for the Academy to have branch campuses on multiple major Federation worlds -- Vulcan, Andor, Tellar, Rigel, Betazed, Efros, Bolarus, Cait, Sauria, etc.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.