Poll Dune (2021) Spoiler/Rating Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Rating?

1. A+

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. A

26 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. A-

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. B

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, guys I’m pretty sure Feyd doesn’t show up yet at this point in Dune.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Correct.

He doesn't show up till the scenes on Guidi Prime when the baron is dealing with Fenring.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I could have sworn Feyd showed up as soon as the introduced the Baron and Raban.

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The one criticism I've heard repeated is that the attack on the Atreides takes not long after they take over on Arrakis. The subplot about Thufir Hawat suspecting Jessica as being a traitor doesn't happen even though the Shadout Mapes is in the movie. That makes me suspect DV cut stuff he'd filmed to streamline and reduce the complexity of the plot. I think the Fenrings were never likely never likely included in any version of the shooting script. All superfluous threads seem to have been pared away. Anyone got any opinions on the Harkonnen's pet Tleilaxian hybrid human-spider monster? Is that a nod to the cow in Lynch's version?

5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else snicker when the Duke said he wanted to be a pilot?

6. vandevere

vandevere Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe we'll get a Director's Cut in a year or two...

7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I think we'll have to wait for part 2 to come out first before we see an extended version. We'll be encouraged to double dip like for LotR. Physical media don't seem to be going away anytime soon.

8. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Why not? He "can fly anything."

Personally, I hated it. My main pet peeve of a movie adaptation is when they cut a book in half and only focus on the first half. For all its faults, at least the Lynch version didn't do that. I thought the pacing was god awfully slow, and when the credits suddenly came up, my jaw dropped open.

I felt compared to previous adaptations that they didn't examine the pressure from the Spacing Guild on the Empire, we didn't even see the Emperor, there was no Irulan, and Rabin and the Baron got too little time. It felt like it just plodded along, pacing wise.

I avoided any spoilers, so I had no idea this was just the first half of the book. After all the b***cing about Harry Potter and the Twilight movies splitting books in half, and the Avengers cliffhanger, I never would have imagined that they'd cut the narrative halfway through the storyline.

CD, getting crankier and more irascible by the year....

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Denis Villeneuve has accomplished what previous directors could not:

Adapting Frank Herbert's Dune in an engaging and dramatic manner without sacrificing the core themes, complex characters, and dense storylines.

Obviously there had to be sacrifices in the plot, even after being split into two films, and while most of the omissions are understandable and mostly go unnoticed, I am saddened that Gurney didn't have his baliset! Probably my biggest criticism of the whole thing.

Please, please, please let the sequel get made!

10. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

The complaints about the lack of Fenring baffles me in the same way the lack of Tom Bombadil did. Both complete throwaway characters who have no place in the fast pace of a movie.

burningoil and The Nth Doctor like this.
  11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Just saw it on HBO Max, and even though I've read the book and seen the first two adaptations of Dune, I really enjoyed this version the most. It made me want a sequel greenlit and in production now. I really liked this cast, the visual scope of it, and liked how it had a mix of quiet character moments and roaring action-adventure sequences. I intend to re-watch it again in the morning with a bowl of Rice Krispies...
    :techman:

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And also not a character that shows up during this part.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Never say never, but I wouldn't count on it. A quote from Denis about Dune...

"...It is true that if Joe [Joe Walker, the editor] and I had let go, we could have done a version of several hours because I filmed a lot. But the final version is really the one that ends up on the screen. I have never done a director's cut of any of my films."

14. thribs

I don’t know if I believe Hans Zimmer saying he has never listened to the original Dune score as that final song felt very similar to the one in the original movie

Tom Hendricks likes this.
  15. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Feyd appears in the second chapter of the book, the very first scene with the Harkonnens. It's Rabban who doesn't show up until after the Harkonnens successfully defeat the Atreides.

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

True, but Feyd doesn't really say or do anything in that chapter other than listen to the Baron and Piter go at it about The Grand Scheme. He has no characterization until the second half. His absence from this film is not missed.

17. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not commenting on the movie, haven't seen it yet, merely correcting the two people who claimed he doesn't appear in the book until halfway through. He appears in the second chapter.

18. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Regarding flapping flight....

I believe I first came across the concept of an ornithopter when I read the novel, many moons ago. The last time I googled ornithopters was years ago-the prototypes were the size of model planes.

19. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

In both 1984's Dune and 2000 miniseries, the Harkonnens are red haired. In this 2021 movie, they are bald.

In the books, were they gingers haired or bald ?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  20. thribs

Hollywood seems to hate gingers for some reason. It’s why those characters get replaced by black actors. :)