Poll Dune (2021) Spoiler/Rating Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Rating?

1. A+

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. A

26 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. A-

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. B

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Correct, but i guess what I was saying was, not 2 movies, maybe 8-10 episodes, and maybe 3 seasons to cover each book.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Is that a special vibrating seat in tune to the movie ( it's named liked that here)? If so it's absolutely not worth it and extremely distracting. It is much more expensive and at least to me has no benefit, i quickly turned off the feature that one time i decided to try it out.

On the other hand i'd gladly pay more for really comfortable and spacious seats ( i'm on the heavier side). Back when i was a kid we had cinemas with seats that felt like those big sofas you had at home, with actual tables in front of you for your stuff and snacks.

Modern theaters are far less comfortable, smaller seats so you can cram more butts into the room and they're not as comfortable ( much the same as airlines and economy class seats).

3. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I looked at it last night on my tiny computer. I still enjoyed it. I would like to see it in a theater, but I'm not chancing that anytime soon.

Dune (2021) was quite good, but I can't say it was next level for me. In some ways-like production design and some casting-it was, but overall, it's like I would have to withhold judgment until the second part comes out (that is, if it ever gets made).

As I think more about it, other thoughts might come to mind, or my opinion change on it, but I liked Villeneuve's take a lot. He created another spectacle and just like Blade Runner 2049 his movies are just joys to look it, to lose yourself in. I don't know if the general audience will be as engrossed though. New Dune had some pacing problems and it ends just when the story is 'beginning' as it were, so I don't know if it created a world so rapturous or gave us a story so thrilling that the average person is stoked to see the next part. I think WB, while being wisely cautious I suppose, still should've made, or committed already to the second part so they could already promote that it's coming, like how It Chapter 2 or the Lord of the Rings movies were done.

Visually the film was stunning, with the ornithopters really standing out for me. Also loved the take on the Sardaukar. But I got to say the 1984 movie's production design still reigns for me. Even the Dune miniseries had a gonzo appeal whereas Villeneuve's movie was at times a bit too understated, a bit chilly.

As for my gripes and quibbles. So far I'm not impressed with the Harkonnens. Visually they look amazing, but neither are quite working for me. I would rather they had a sly, scheming Baron who enjoyed getting his revenge (like in the miniseries). This Baron seems a bit too glum or matter-of-fact. And Batista isn't the almost gleefully brutish and sadistic oaf of the 1984 film either, which I felt was more in line with the book. He's just more of a shouting monster. I didn't like that Jessica had Paul with the intention of creating the Kwisatz Haderach. I preferred that she did it for love because she wanted to give the Duke a son, and the prophecy was the byproduct. Villeneuve's Jessica came off colder because of that. I did like that the Duke doesn't seem as unawares as he does in other versions though. This Duke understands the trap that has been set for him better.

I liked Momoa a lot more than I thought I would as Duncan. He had some of the best scenes-definitely the action scenes. Was less impressed with Josh Brolin as Gurney. He was just sort of there. The miniseries Gurney gets the character and the look the best of any of the portrayals. I also think Thufir was underused. I don't recall them even mentioning that he or Piter were mentats. I was okay with the race/gender change for Kynes; I thought the actress did well in the role.

I get the need to streamline some of the world building, but I also want to see them throw out and mention things like Mentats so we understand why Thufir or Piter are so important. If there is a second movie I suppose we might get that explanation.

I loved the Sardaukar in this. Wasn't expecting to get a glimpse of Salusa Secundus. This is their best depiction, though I must admit I loved the 1984 costumes which were creepier. I also liked the miniseries' costumes as sell. I guess you can't go wrong with the Sardaukar when it comes to me.

4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Just came out of it. They didn’t show any of the spacing guild or the ship bending space. Strange thing to omit. Every other version has showed it. It shows you why the spice is so valuable. Other than that it was pretty good. The ending drags a bit. Especially with me knowing what happens.

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Yes, it seems odd. That the spice enables Guild navigators' prescient ability to plot safe routes across space-time is a major plot point. Without that ability for fast transit, the human empire couldn't be held together cohesively. The Guild also fear an outsider gaining prescient ability. There's no need to show the navigators though, cool as it might be to see what design Denis Villeneuve would approve. I hear there's no Shaddam IV nor Irulan Corrino in this movie either. I guess DV is saving them for part 2 along with Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen.

6. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh I totally agree it sounds terrible. That's why I didn't do it. It's not just vibrating seats it's seat movement and environmental effects - smells, wind, moisture, etc. But I do have a curiosity for what they do for it. Do that just hit you with cinnamon and the heat lamp all movie?:biggrin:

The Guild & their need for spice is a later revelation in the book. Sounds like Villeneuve is doing the same here. You don't even see a fully mutated navigator until Messiah. People forget that because of Lynch revealing them and their reliance on the spice in the first scene. The spice is valuable on the open market because of its geriatric properties - it greatly increases human lifespan and health. It even renders you immune to some poisons, if you eat enough of it each dose. The Guild gets most of its spice from the Fremen so that CHOAM doesn't know of it's requirements.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  7. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Isn't the guilds need for spice mentioned at the very start of the movie ?
    There were also people behind the herald who looked like they were in spice filled space suits ( I hope they are not navigators )

I get why mentats do the eye roll thing for people to understand easier but it's such an overused trope for people with mind powers

8. TimeIsAPredator

Did you see their little Easter egg appearance cleaning up the aftermath of Leto's poison
    Found him quite wooden and it felt like a lot of his role as a sense of warmth and comfort was passed to Idaho
    Maybe it's because we are a different age or cinemas are very different in our respective countries but my cinema going days started in 90s Ireland and cinema seats were about as comfortable as old bus seats and the places filled with rotten carpets. They were like the XXX cinemas you see in movies. They are way better now.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    DarKush likes this.
  9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Our asses are twice the size they were than in our 20s, and 4 times the size as when we were middle schoolers.

Remember when you could put your feet up comfortably on the headrest infront of you?

10. TimeIsAPredator

Speak for yourself

Commander Troi and fireproof78 like this.
  11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that brings back memories! Yeah.. I remember when the crappy old seats didn't make my butt hurt. The theater we go to know has nice big wide seats that recline and open up a foot rest. Honestly, they are so comfortable, I've dozed off a few times.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

So a coworker said they watched Dune last night and their significant other informed them that Dune predates Star Wars. She was quite shocked Dune didn't as much attention as Star Wars

"So it actually predates Star Wars! and this guy wrote this book and he doesn't get any recognition because Star Wars was bigger!"

lol

13. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll say that I've never been a fan of Dune. I watched the Lynch film as a kid and hated it. I tried re-watching it last winter, and I couldn't even get through it. But, this looked pretty cool. I loved Denis Villeneuve's take on "Blade Runner" and I enjoyed "The Arrival," so I figured I'd give this a shot.

I'm glad that I did. I didn't LOVE it...but it was very entertaining and very much an immersive experience. I also appreciate a big, epic film that isn't the standard Michael Bay / MCU crapfest...so this was a lot of fun. I'd recommend it to casual fans and sci-fi freaks like me. I can't speak for people who are really into the book...as I've never read it (and likely will not), so this doesn't factor into my assessment at all.

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did see that Easter Egg and I liked those suits.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's all in the timing.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Just a few sweeping impressions for now, though I'm sure I'll have more to say later on: -
    Overall I'd call this a successful adaptation, though I'm legitimately concerned that it will remain unfinished as this feels more like a prestige film than a tentpole (as it should) and I'm not sure if it'll bring in enough money to warrant funding part two. Suffice to say I'd be more comfortable if this had been greenlit as a two-parter from the outset.

I do have a number of criticisms however; first and foremost I feel like the spartan nature of the film may have worked against it when it comes to character development. As epic and sweeping the imagery is, as stacked a cast as this is, as spot on as most of the performances are; it nonetheless feels very small on the personal scale. Most of the supporting cast only get one or two scenes each, some not even that. Thufir feels criminal underused, as does Piter and Yueh. The latter seems very odd given his vital role in the second act, which I fear would make his betrayal seem arbitrary to those not familiar with the source material.

Indeed as much as the Lynch adaptation over-explained too much, I feel like Villeneuve is rather under-explaining. Trusting a little too much in the "show don't tell" approach. I'd like to hear from anyone here for whom this movie is their first experience with 'Dune' as I suspect most people would be very confused if not utterly lost on a few key points. For example; I don't think the word "mentat" is even mentioned, so Thufir's eyeroll thing must come off as rather arbitrarily weird.

As expected a number of key scenes are not included (most of which are my favourites, frustratingly), most confusing of all though is the banquet scene as that kind of exposition mixed with character development for Paul seems to be what this movie is sorely lacking. The tension between Jessica, Leto, Duncan and Gurney regarding a possible traitor in their midst is entirely absent, which as stated above seems to make Yueh's turn feel almost like an afterthought. Indeed without these elements, the film seems almost entirely devoid of the courtly intrigue to book is so well known for.
    Part of this I suspect is a result of Villeneuve thinking long-term in hopes of adapting DM & CoD down the line; as while most characters have their roles reduced, Duncan is given extra scenes and an actual active role in the assault on Arakeen (for those that don't know, in the book, he was back out embedded with the Fremen by this point.) It seems like he really wanted Duncan to stand out and for his death to have real weight...for reasons that become obvious if said future adaptations actually happen. I just hope that approach hasn't backfired.

I would have also liked to have seen the scene with Thufir and the Atredies survivors meeting the Fremen up in the shield wall, as for me it's one of the more memorable conversations in the book, both giving an impression of the true mid boggling scale of the Harkonnen assault and giving the Fremen mindset more of an introduction before Paul & Jessica's later encounter with Stilgar. Speaking of which; changing said shield wall from a natural feature to a literal wall around the city seems like an odd choice.

Just speaking for my personal taste; I also really missed the scene where the Sardaukar go full pogrom on the Fremen and start carving up the open desert with lasbeams...only to hit an active shield Duncan left out on the sand. Both for the pure spectacle of a subatomic fusion detonation, and to better explain exactly why everyone if fighting with knives when they have lasers that can cut though literally anything with ease.

Not surprisingly, but still somewhat disappointingly is the absence of Fenring, if for no other reason than to give the Emperor's part in this plot more of a presence, to show that the Baron is not entirely a law unto himself and to demonstrate further the reach of the Sisterhood. There's still hope for him in part two I suppose, but I'm not about to hold my breath.

Don't let the abundance of criticism leave one with the impression that I dislike the movie or thought it poorly made (far from it!) Just assume that if I didn't mention a certain aspect, it's because I largely approve. Most of my problems mostly stem from a desire for more of pretty much everything. Fingers crossed of a LotR:EE style release down the road!

More likely they're Guild steersman. Though keep in mind that the "floaty fishman" concept didn't show up until the second book. In the first book you mostly just have a few of these guys hanging around with the Emperor at the end of the book, one gets his contact lens knocked off, revealing that (shock, horror!) they have the blue eyes of spice addiction.

17. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I saw it this morning on the big screen and my overall reaction is, "Eh, it was fine, I guess." Maybe it's just me, but nothing in it really blew me away. The effects were great, but I'm not a fan of the hazy gray filter that seems to be pasted on every blockbuster movie these days. When I think of desert epics, I think of movies like Ben Hur. That was bright, colorful, and sharp. This was kind of flat and muddy looking. Now, part of that was no doubt the lackluster projection quality of my local cinema, but the trailers have a similar look to them.
    I'm also not a fan of Zimmer scores. This felt like the Wonder Woman music from ZSJL stretched over the whole movie. I would have preferred something closer to the classic desert epics I mentioned before.
    I haven't read the books or seen any of the other versions. I'm only passingly familiar with some of the story elements and I suspect that if I hadn't picked up some of those things from online comments I would have been more confused. So I knew about the shields making energy weapons impossible and I had some idea of what the spice was used for.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw this morning and I loved it.
    Yeah, some stuff was cut, but that always happens with adaptations, and I was actually impressed they took their time, and included as much as they did. The movie already was throwing a lot at people who haven't read the book, so I can kind of stuff boiling things down to the bare minimum, at least for part 1. There's always a chance that we could things like Fenring, Feyd, and more Thufir in Part 2.
    I loved the production design and cinematograph for this. It wasn't nearly as over the top as the other two versions got, and I think that actually worked better for me. I think this story actually works better with a more subdued, down to Earth style to it.
    The whole cast was great.
    During a recent interview, Anna Sarnoff, Warner Media's CEO of Studios & Network, more or less confirmed Part 2, stopping just short of making it an official announcement. I think at this point, the only way we won't get Part 2 is if it totally bombs, and if the fact that the theater I saw it in looked pretty full, that seems unlikely.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's less an issue that things were cut and more about what was cut and why. Also that several new scenes were created from whole cloth that arguably did little to add to the story by comparison, mostly only serving as extra action or eye candy.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK, it's been a while since I read the book, so the only things that really stood out to me were Thufir's reduced role, and the lack of the Imperial side of of things and Feyd.